Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rate your ice fishing season so far this year  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
1-10..rate your ice fishing season so far

Also, have there been things effected your amount of time on the ice this season, like the colder temps, deep snow, economy, Etc.

I will rate my season as poor(2) so far. Haven't been on the ice as much as years past. The cold has been my biggest factor. In all reality, from all reports I have seen and my experience. The fish have not bit well this winter.

How has your season been so far

Good news, looks like the weather is going to break free in the next week with warm temps on the weekend...WOW a weekend and warm temps...what did we do to deserve that???LOL

Thanks, Chuck
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I would rate my ice season so far a 4 due to the colder temps, not as much time on the ice as I'd like, as well as the fish have been a little harder to find this year for whatever reason.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is a zero so far.  The economy, timing, and weather have all prevented me from getting out yet this ice season.  I'm hoping to change that soon.   :whistling:  If not-I'll get ready for softwater season.  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Compared to last year it has been very poor.  I actually have to work for the fish this year.  God Forbid.  But I'm still catching plenty for a meal now and then.  Economy has done nothing to slow me down.  A 2 and 4 year old take care of that.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I haven't got out as much as I have wanted to. Have done decent most of the times I have been out with a couple of poor trips in there. I've been busy with our new daughter so not able to get out quite as much. Plus, I learned not to pre-plan too much. This year I'm in the Ultimate Panfish League and signed up for a few tourneys. It just doesn't leave enough time for plane fishing for the enjoyment.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
mine has been a 3 i would say.. not much biting. cold temps. economy dont do much to me also.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I hear ya General.  Having a 14 month old leave little time for winter fishing for me.  Open water is a different story though!  He will definitely be tagging along!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Keep the faith my fellow brothers.  As those little ones get older they can turn into an excuse to go fishing.  Mine have been pestering me to go!!!  The cold doesn't seem to bother them as much.  It also helps that every time we catch fish.  I would rate my season as an 7.5!!! 
Big fish as well as numbers.  It also helps that I like to fish for pike, and crappies.  They always bite. 

Economy has kept me closer to home which isn't all that bad.  I fish smaller lakes and get away from the crowds.  I have also been fishing alot shallower. 4-6 feet
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree with you dakids!  When mine gets old enough, I'm hoping he will be pestering me to go on a daily basis!  He has already shown an interest, or could be he just like's to play with my lures!  Either way, he enjoys things related to fishing!  A few months ago I gave him a Rat-L-Trap that I haven't used after taking off the hooks.  He sure loves walking around shaking it!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I guess I would have to rate it around a 7 or 8.......

Been doing well every time I go out, and the lake is real close to the house.

I got the kids out a few times, along with mama Hunter.

Never got skunked yet, so I would say it has been pretty good!

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Kingfisher,  Here are a few things that have worked really good for me to get the kids interested in fishing.
The trip is all about them. Stop at the bait shop and get them chips and a pop when you get bait.  Name the lake that you are fishing (swinging tree, one fish, mistery fish, black dog lake)  also name the spot on the lake (bullhead flat, bike pike reef, skunks point).  The real names (ida, waconia,ann) are hard for them to remember and it is more fun for them to give them their own name.  I also have found that some public accesses can be a great place for kids to fish. there are always tons of perch and sunnies under the docks. If there is a person from the dnr conducting creel surveys it is a bonus.  They can get EVERY one of their fish measured.  And I almost forgot,  bring a 5 gallon bucket for the caught fish to swim in.  Extra entertainment for the little guys and gals.

:sorry: I got a long ways off topic.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline joker31888

• Outdoorsman
2.  Been out plenty.  Havn't found the fish.  Buudys got a nice 22 inch bass.  Missed probably a nice northern on a tip up.  Spinning like crazy, pulled up, and nothing.  Line broke about 5 inches above the hook.  Never even felt the fish at all. Never know though.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Kingfisher,  Here are a few things that have worked really good for me to get the kids interested in fishing.
The trip is all about them. Stop at the bait shop and get them chips and a pop when you get bait.  Name the lake that you are fishing (swinging tree, one fish, mistery fish, black dog lake)  also name the spot on the lake (bullhead flat, bike pike reef, skunks point).  The real names (ida, waconia,ann) are hard for them to remember and it is more fun for them to give them their own name.  I also have found that some public accesses can be a great place for kids to fish. there are always tons of perch and sunnies under the docks. If there is a person from the dnr conducting creel surveys it is a bonus.  They can get EVERY one of their fish measured.  And I almost forgot,  bring a 5 gallon bucket for the caught fish to swim in.  Extra entertainment for the little guys and gals.

:sorry: I got a long ways off topic.

That's fine for going off topic.  Thanks for shareing the info.  It's a great info, and appreciated.  I used to take the neighborhood kids fishing with me when I was living with my parents, so I totally know where you're coming from.  Again, I agree with everything you're saying.  Plus, I don't expect to get much fishing in, as it's all about making sure they're having fun and enjoying themselves.  

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
i'd rate mine as a 1. havent been out much, gave up all my gear when i moved and not working much has had a big impact. i can only fish when its in the upper teens  and higher cause i dont have a house. and when i do get out i dont catch but a few small perch and tiny crappies.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Where are you located Steve? I'm in St. Paul. I'm sure some of us on here would be more than happy to get you out. I'm a little tied up this year doing a panfish league and some tourneys but if you wanna PM me we'll see if we can't work something out to get you on the ice. My portable seats six pretty comfortably so space is no issue. I have plenty of rods and a couple of extra flashers so I can set you up to have a good, warm time fishing.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Mine has been up and down. Earlier in the season I was catching a few limits, being adventurous and trying new spots and still catching fish. Ever since I brought my wife out I haven't caught a fish since, and it isn't for lack of effort! When I take out the wife, I work like a dog and get her on fish, then I get skunked. But I guess that's why they call it fishing instead of catching. Gotta love wetting a line!
My score - 5
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline 101PROOF

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would have to rate my year a 9 :fishing:

With the economy this year I was able to purchas a nice fish house  81/2 x 12 on wheels cheap  :dancinred: (I mean cheap this guy needed money)
Ive been out every weekend and 3 times doring the week.

It would be a 10 if the fish would bite more, my average is 3 keeper fish in per trip out.
It could change to a 10 after my first trip to Eelpout this year  :toast:

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Mine is a 3, been out 4 times, 2 times been skunked of keepers, 2 times had a few in the bucket.

Only other "good" thing this year is I picked up a three year old clam 6800 off a guy for 100 bucks. He just needed to get rid of it quick, and he made the offer.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline theswede

I have had a fantastic ice season so far, fishing is good south metro lakes,  but time on the ice with kids and friends is fantastic. I would rate it a 8.

Offline aleelavine

:newhere:
Hi! This has been the 2nd year that I've ever been out ice fishing and the 1st year that I've actually caught anything. I have grown to really love fishing - through the ice or in the boat in the past couple of years. My Husband is an avid fisherman as well and that makes it just that much better. I would have to rate this year a 6.5 so far for ice fishing. It's been too damn cold to get out there on the days I have wanted to and I work too late to get out before sundown on weekdays. But when we have gone out, it has been a blast! I even managed to snag about a 3 lb. northern on the tiniest jig. That was very fun! I look forward to many more years of ice fishing!   :toast:
*aleelavine*

Offline dl117

I would put mine at a 7 or so, I have been out quite a bit and have had very good luck, although I was skunked once on Mille lacs, but we did not fish long...my 3 year old wanted to go back to the cabin, and this weekend on Big Sandy skunked. Other than that I have brought a limit home of crappies every other time out.

Good luck to all not getting out much. :happy1:

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Mine would most definitely be a 1. I've only been out twice this year because of health problems, but both of those times the fishing was fantastic so maybe I could bump it up to a 2. Years past I think I averaged about once a week.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
I would rate mine a 3. Have not been out much at all but did get to eat crappies once. I was hoping to buy a fish house so i could get out more with tax returns but just found out my wife got cut to 1 day a week at work so no fun money for me.  :banghead:

Offline Dardevle

• Outdoorsman
  • Member # 3888
I'll rate mine a 10+

I get laid off in the winter and have alot of time to get out on the lake.  I have missed 3 weekends since there has been ice out.  Yep, I have been skunked but only a couple of times.  That to me does not make it a bad day on the ice just a bad day of fishing.  Sometimes I gotta work at catching some fish but thats part of what being out fishing is all about.  Sometimes you gotta work to have a good time.  I like that!!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

Offline lazy-ike Peb

• Outdoorsman
Mine been poor because of cold and that dang wind only out once. Ya Ithought I would have been out more since I semi retired. this winter ain't like last couple years. Will be glad to get my boat out sick of this winter.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Id rate mine a 10+ also...broke down and bought a Snobear so the Cold, wind,deep snow, and even slush has only made a bunch of spots to fish with only me there :cry:  It could only get better if I catch a Giant Pout this weekend at Eelpout fest.

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok, first post here, I would have to rate my season this yesr a high 9 almost a 10. no job = lots of time to fish. HA!
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline brent290

2 Too many poeple,too cold,no time

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Ok my icefishing season was downgraded to a 9.9 the Snobear didnt help me catch a giant eelpout. All we caught all weekend were a bunch of roughfish at Eelpout.. (walleyes and jumbo perch) but they tasted a lot better.  :fishing2: