Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Tips?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline aleelavine

Hey everyone! :newhere: Going out today for a small tourney. A little worried as the minnows and waxworms weren't exactly hitting last night on the same lake (Beebe). Any tips? Maybe the jig color? Type of jig people like to use? I am sooo new to this ice fishing that I am just going with the flow, so far. Would love to hear what people can share! Thanks!!!  :fishing2:
*aleelavine*

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Well there is alot of variables here since you didn't mention what species you are targeting. Not a big deal.  Here's some general tips no matter what the species is you're after:

-Get a map of the lake(s) you intend to fish.  Check your local bait shop.  The DNR website has free maps-but not very good quality.
-If you can, get a GPS like a Lowrance H2Oc that will hold a Lakemaster chip. This way you'll have maps for hundreds of lakes-right in the palm of your hands. 
-I generally set my bobber so the bait is between 1' & 2' off of the bottom.  Fish look up not down, and when they are hugging the bottom-you're bait is what they see.
-If a whole minnow or waxie doesn't seem to work, try just the minnow head.
-Water clarity will dictate what color to use.  On dark/stained waters you'd want to start with bright colors.  Clear water you can use about any color. 
-Find weeds! Even though it's winter, there is still weeds out there, and the fish are in there.
-Look for structure to fish off of. (sharp drop offs, sand bars, sunken islands)
-In dark/stained water you can fish shallower in the daytime.  Clear water, you'll want to be deeper in the daytime.
-When you first go out & decide on an area, drill ALOT of holes right away.  This way you can spend time fishing. If nothing bites after say 15-20 minutes in one spot, try another.  And the holes don't have to be that far apart.  I've seen people catch fish 10 feet from someone who isn't.  Alot of times that's due to structure/breaks or presentation. (Probably not allowed in tournaments though-check first)

I hope these help you out.  I know I've forgotten to mention alot of things, but this is a start. I'm sure there will be more advice from others.  :happy1:  Good luck and welcome to MNO!  ::welcome::
« Last Edit: January 01/31/09, 09:04:39 AM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
One thing I might add - If you are marking fish and they aren't biting, try to size down your presentation with smaller jigs or even a plain hook and bait. If you are fishing two lines try using different methods with each line untill you find a method that works.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most times I use a glow jig for visability. (Panfish and Perch) Grubs of some sort and small crappie minnows.
I try to match the lure to the bait fish in the lake. (Color and size)
Information about what is in the lake can usually be found on the DNR web site.
If the water is dark and stained, I will almost always use a rattle type glow jig. That way you get the visability and some noise to attract the fish. (When I'm targeting Walleye)

Just a couple tips.........

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's the link for LakeFinder on the DNR website.  It also has species information for lakes.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

Great tips guys! Keep them coming!  :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
One more..........

I have found that when fish are finicky, line diameter and color makes a difference.

Line diameter, the smaller line, the better action of the jig. (But, don't go to small for the fish you are targeting)

Line color, sometimes the fish can see the line (Depending on clarity of the lake)
To be safe, I use clear, or the light green.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline aleelavine

Thanks for the tips!! Unfortunately, not one fish was caught at yesterday's tourney.  So that was kind of a bummer. It was still a good time, but would have been awesome to have snagged one! Oh well... next time. :)  :toast:
*aleelavine*