Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: dyeing traps?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 When is your favorite time of year and recipes for dying and waxing traps?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well B4 season. It usually doesn't work that way though. I don't like to do it in summer when it's too hot, so to answer your ? it would be spring. Now that it's too late for that I'd say late sept one cooler evening.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have a question.....

What is the purpose of waxing your traps?

Since, I only really trap gophers, I don't know.

Is it to keep the human scent off? Or is to water proof them so they don't rust?

And, what is the dying for?

All of my traps are rusty, and just hang in the barn when not in use.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Waxing traps helps protect the trap from rust and makes them LOTS faster. It really isn't needed if those thing aren't important to you.

For land trapping Fox/Yote where odor contamination can be an issue some think that dyeing them helps, some not. For water some think that it helps blend the trap in with the bottom. It's still a disscusion at trapper gatherings as to the pros and cons of each.

Personnally I dye my traps when new and wax over that. After that I just boil off the old wax and then re wax when they have dried. I might mention I do not use what most call dye, instead I use a mixture of paint and gas. I let them dry real good after that b4 waxing.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson