Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bobcat  (Read 4680 times)

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Can a person use dogs to tree a bobcat in MN? I have seen numerous pictures of people that are holding bobcats, with Walker's sitting right next to them. I know darn well they aren't using the dogs to retrieve the cat after they shoot it  :rotflmao:.

I asked this question of the DNR last year (granted it was a St. Paul office worker) and they told me that it was not legal to use dogs to tree cats. You can trap them, or hunt them using predator calls, but using dogs was not allowed.

Anyone else have any input on this?
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
No you can Not use dog, In less you use a wild dog like a (Wolf)  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline huntingmaxima

• Outdoorsman
That is BS. I know 3 groups of guys that run dogs for cats. One does a guide service with his dogs hunting bobcats.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
That is BS. I know 3 groups of guys that run dogs for cats. One does a guide service with his dogs hunting bobcats.

I thought the same as well huntingmaxima. I ran across some cat tracks a few years back when I was out coyote hunting up north and wondered if a guy could do that.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This is copied from the DNR web site....at the bottom, it says they are usually hunted WITH hounds.

Bobcat

The bobcat inhabits much of the same forested country as the lynx, but it is more common. Like the lynx, bobcat populations are affected by the abundance of food--mostly rabbits and mice.

The bobcat appears smaller and more slender than the lynx. It has shorter ear tufts, smaller less furry feet, and the tip of its tail is black only on the top. It is not gifted with tremendous speed or a keen nose. Rather, it depends upon sharp eyesight and stealth to locate and stalk its prey. After getting close, it springs and seizes its victim with needle-sharp claws and teeth.

Dens are lined with moss and leaves before the female gives birth to two or four kittens--usually in May or June. The den may be in a secluded thicket, hollow log, or under roots of an upturned tree.

Bobcats are seldom seen in southern Minnesota. They are most common in woodlands of north-central and northeastern counties. Bobcats appear more adaptable to changing land use than does the more reclusive lynx.

The bobcat is a valuable furbearer and is both trapped and hunted--usually with hounds--for its fur. A designated game animal, it may be taken only during prescribed seasons.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
hunterdown you beat me to the punch. but here it is anyways this was in the dnr regs as well...

Bobcat Hunting Methods to HelpAvoid Taking Lynx
Tracks should be closely examined and measured before any trailing dogs are released. (See “Sign” section). Any treed bobcat should carefully be identified and confirmed as not being a lynx before it is harvested. A treed lynx should be abandoned immediately with harnessed dogs in tow.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
i'm headed up to mcgrath mn friday to go cat hunting with dogs,so yes you can run dogs in minnesota

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
i'm headed up to mcgrath mn friday to go cat hunting with dogs,so yes you can run dogs in minnesota

Thanks for the info. guys. I have a buddy that has a couple real good Walkers that have put up barn cats on occasion down here, so we entertained the idea of heading up to our cabin and seeing if the dogs could get on a trail if we are lucky.

Good luck mcgarth!
-WC Fields