Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear sign  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a photo from my younger brother at one of his bear bait piles in N. Wisconsin.  3 bait sites and each one has been ravaged.

Also, how big do you think this one is?  We're thinking 150-200#.

Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They say one way to judge a bear is by how the ears look.  If they look small the bear is big.  I don't know if it's the angle or what, but this bears ears look huge compared to his head.  I guess he's about 125 pounds.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
The angle does throw it off, but it seems to have shooter potential.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Smaller bears tast mighty good.  Any bear that isn't a cub would be a shooter for me.

Also smaller bears make nicer rugs for the wall.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I would say it is a smaller bear, it's face is not quite filled out yet...and as DE said, the ears look big on it's head.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I would say it is a smaller bear, it's face is not quite filled out yet...and as DE said, the ears look big on it's head.

We seem to agree.  Check out the other pictures I posted and let me know what you think.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A few years ago while bear hunting, I would put put three sticks in the ground near the bait.  I can't remember but I think I put them 4 feet apart.  Then when the bear walked between them, I could easily judge their size.  I believe you could use the same trick for a camera.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
A few years ago while bear hunting, I would put put three sticks in the ground near the bait.  I can't remember but I think I put them 4 feet apart.  Then when the bear walked between them, I could easily judge their size.  I believe you could use the same trick for a camera.

That's a great idea!