Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR and Army Corps of Engineers seek comments on proposed taconite mine  (Read 1101 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
DNR and Army Corps of Engineers seek comments on proposed taconite mine near Keewatin
(Released November 12, 2010)

A Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) has been prepared for a proposed taconite mine expansion project near Keewatin. The FEIS was prepared jointly by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District (Corps). The FEIS is available for public review, the DNR and Corps announced today. The DNR and Corps will accept comments on the FEIS until 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 20.

The project, proposed by U. S. Steel Corp., would increase the production of taconite pellets by expanding the existing mine and restarting an idle production line. The proposed project is estimated to begin in 2012 or 2013.

“The FEIS describes potential environmental, social and economic effects stemming from the proposed project and alternatives,” said Erik Carlson, DNR principal planner who is coordinating the review project. “We are seeking public comment on the adequacy of the information contained in the document.”

The proposed project would increase Keetac’s annual taconite pellet production output by 3.6 million tons to a total output of 9.6 million tons per year. Iron ore pellets would then be transported to steel production facilities.

Public review copies of the FEIS are available at the following locations:

DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth.
Minneapolis Public Library - Technology and Science, Government Documents,
2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis.
Hibbing Public Library, 2020 East 5th Ave., Hibbing.
Keewatin Public Library 125 3rd Ave. West, Keewatin.
Legislative Reference Library, 645 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul.
Written comments should be sent to Erik Carlson, DNR Division of Ecological and Water Resources, 500 Lafayette Road, Box 25, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!