Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Yote Hunting?  (Read 5542 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Anybody been out yote hunting yet?

I'm planning on going out in the next week for a hunt.   :fudd:

How about you?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been in years but would like to get back into it. We ran hounds with radio collars on them and it was a blast. Also ran beagles on raccoons which was also a lot of fun. I'm sure people would disagree with the chase but regardless, that's how it was done up north where I was.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i been out a few times, but no success yet

Offline 1duckcrazy

• Minnow
I was out a couple weeks ago, got one but lost the moon to clouds right away so could only do one stand.
I hope it gets better for the next moon phase

Good luck

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Went out and called a few spots early this afternoon with no luck.  Should have gone out earlier when the sun was shining.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I went out on the 1st, saw one about 500 yards out in the swamp...couldn't get him to come in or get a good shot.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mikekerryphipppen

• Outdoorsman
chased them all last week, hunting in the afternoon. Slow days at work, used homemade e-caller and some mouth calls got three, very mangy. fun days in the sun

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike would be interested to hear how you made your e-caller. Many people do it but al  are different.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Are you gonna try out that DU .270 on them yotes Hunter?
 I saw on Craigslist that some guy is killing them but wants to give the animals away to someone. Must know how to pull the trigger but not how to skin.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, I use a .223

Besides, the boy kinda "inherited" that gun already.....   :cry:

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Are you gonna try out that DU .270 on them yotes Hunter?
 I saw on Craigslist that some guy is killing them but wants to give the animals away to someone. Must know how to pull the trigger but not how to skin.
  Maybe he knows how Ken, but just knows better than to skin them! I hate skinning the smelly bastards. The shop stinks for 2 days after the fact. Besides some of the fur buyers don't pay much more for a skinned one vs on the round anyway.

Got a couple so far. I know of about a dozen shot with in a 5 mile radius of my place. Last year I know for a fact that 48 were killed in that same radius not to mention the ones I didn't see or here about.

If anyone is interested I will send them out and get them tanned for $50 if they come in already skinned and frozen. If you bring them in split, fleshed, and salted or trapper dried they will be $37. If I have to skin them and do all the prep work they run $75. Sorry but gift certs are not accepted for tan only items. :sorry:
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
So what if you don't want the hide or the carcass at all? Can't eat them can you?  I'm thinking as a sportsman on this one, the "you shoot it, you use/eat it" like a deer.  Is there a difference between a game animal and a predator?   :scratch:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Tough call Red.....many would say these are a nuissance animal and wouldn't care what was done with them. I understand your point and actually wouldn't know what I'd do with it if/when I got one  :scratch:. I think I would try and skin it myself for the hide. As far as the meat is concerned, I don't see anything wrong with turning it over to mother nature and let it feed the rest of the creatures out there. IDK to tell you the truth. What does everyone else do with them?
« Last Edit: January 01/21/11, 11:20:44 AM by FireRanger »

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Tough call Red.....many would say these are a nuissance animal and wouldn't care what was done with them. I understand your point and actually wouldn't know what I'd do with it if/when I got one  :scratch:. I think I would try and skin it myself for the hide. As far as the meat is concerned, I don't see anything wrong with turning it over to mother nature and let it feed the rest of the creatures out there. IDK to tell you the truth. What does everyone else do with them?

My thoughts exactly.  A hide would be cool to have but what about the rest?  If I shot one and left it, would that be wrong?
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
red.. got an idea for ya.. shoot one and cook it up.  you could write a cook book about cooking predator animals. doubt theres one out there. you could go on an autograph tour. million dollar idea.. give it a shot. 

coyotes are predators, if they understand anything it's being preyed upon. just like shooting one of those stupid red squirrels or a crow (only when they're about to do damage) toss in skunks to. never give it a second thought. in the words of josey wales.. "worms gotta eat to"
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
red.. got an idea for ya.. shoot one and cook it up.  you could write a cook book about cooking predator animals. doubt theres one out there. you could go on an autograph tour. million dollar idea.. give it a shot. 

coyotes are predators, if they understand anything it's being preyed upon. just like shooting one of those stupid red squirrels or a crow (only when they're about to do damage) toss in skunks to. never give it a second thought. in the words of josey wales.. "worms gotta eat to"

:happy1:

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The 1st one I trapped I had tanned for the wall.  :toast: If one of my brothers shot a nice one I would skin them out for them to have on the wall for keepsakes or they would have let them go to waste.

I used to be able to get them tanned for $35, and would sell them on ebay for 65-80 each.  but now find most want around $75 in this area just for tanning, so in the outdoor wood boiler with them, get a few BTU's...

I have shot many over the years with a shotgun and threw out because of the hole size.  :fudd:  Trying to do my part for the little deer and pheasants, not to mention my chickens...

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

Let me finish my fruit snacks and I'll get back to you on that one...