Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Canned Hunts?  (Read 3487 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   I had the sportsman channel on while working on a couple of projects.  The show was North American Sportsman.  ( comcast channel 68).  They give away a hunt every week.  As a hunter and sportsman I could not take it.  They were in Canada hunting bear.  Who ever did the editing must want to make the hunters look pathetic.  There had to be seven bears there.  They had the momma and a couple of babies just rolling in the bait.  Just before the shot they showed a scene with a little black one laying on his back in the bait and rubbing his belly.  I know you have to bait bears to lure them out but why make it look like slaughter.  I realize people will pay money for a sure thing but I found this to repulsive.  :taz:   
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed. I have mixed opinions about baiting, especially for bears. I helped an outfitter fill the bait piles/barrels a couple times and it was pretty pathetic to me. We pulled up to the road nice and quiet, the windows rolled down and he said listen. You could hear the bears walking away from the barrels into the woods. We went in and filled them up and walked out. Sitting in the truck waiting and of course within a half hour the bears were all back eating the bait. Not really what I consider sporting, but this is the land of personal opinions and that is mine.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Are we talking about fenced hunts or baiting?

Fenced hunts are a joke.  Where's the sense of adventure and the thrill of the hunt knowing that you're sitting in a deer pen?

Baiting for bear or deer is okay by me.  I have baited for deer and can't really say I have had significant success because of it.  On the flip side, my brother took a nice bear this fall and it was because of the bait pile he placed.  I have countless trail cam photos of the bears if you want.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Fenced hunts are a joke.  Where's the sense of adventure and the thrill of the hunt knowing that you're sitting in a deer pen?

Baiting for bear or deer is okay by me.  I have baited for deer and can't really say I have had significant success because of it.  On the flip side, my brother took a nice bear this fall and it was because of the bait pile he placed.  I have countless trail cam photos of the bears if you want.

Red, I think you should specify which state you baited deer in...Since this is a Minnesota forum, someone might send the  :police: to your door.....  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed, fenced hunts are a joke. I have no problem baiting deer. And yes, make sures you specimifiy which state yer talkin bout Red! :moon:
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Just for reference from WIKI;A canned hunt is essentially a trophy hunt in which the animal is kept in a more confined area, such as in a fenced-in area, increasing the likelihood of the hunter obtaining a kill. According to the dictionary definition a canned hunt is a "hunt for animals that have been raised on game ranches until they are mature enough to be killed for trophy collections."

Anywho, fenced in hunts (which are about half the shows you see on tv now-adays you just don't know) are definately a joke.

There are a few differences in the baiting process up past the border and MN. Minnesotans get a two week window before the season to set out bait, and not in huge barrels....Canucks get to bait a little longer than we do and that contributes to the overall success as far as baiting goes.

What they should show is the hard work (here in MN/WI) one has to go through to actually drive to their bait locations (usually 3-4 hours away), bait the pile on the weekends before, then run up to their cabins/bring a tent and do it on their own. I guarantee you wouldn't see 7 bears and babies rolling in the bait piles.......If it weren't for baiting, Minnesotans would be lucky to shoot 100 bear a year. As far as the deer baiting goes, our Sconnie neighbors do it and I guess it doesn't matter to me because from what everyone says, it really doesn't help them out as much as one would think.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
canned/caged/fence hunting seems like a copout..

the other side of bear hunting/baiting they should show is someone going to the tasty day old store and tossing a few 20's at the workers to get first pick of the day old.

you can also run em with dogs.. I've seen it in wisconsin
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
      I have no problem with bear baiting.  I do have a problem editing a outdoors show to make it seem like there is no work involved.  This was so bad.  Made to look like you climb in the stand and pick the one you want. It was a sales pitch for the outfitters.  With the little black bear laying in the bait rubbing his white belly right before the shot on a blonde bear was poor editing.  They were talking and bears would look up at them with little if any concern. This was in Canada and was not a canned hunt.  I put that in the title because the deer shows selling huge trophies in fenced ranches don't look like hunting shows to me.  I remember a while back there was talk of internet hunting.  You shoot from your computer.  It all makes sportsmen look bad.  IMO.  :sorry:   As far as baiting deer goes I would think  food plots technically would be  baiting.  It benefits the herd all year long.  I'm all for that. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I see what your saying... and I agree. I'm guessing they're doing those shows on a shoestring budget and are rather impressed with themselves.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

Red, I think you should specify which state you baited deer in...Since this is a Minnesota forum, someone might send the  :police: to your door.....  :rotflmao:

It would be FireRanger calling the boys in blue.  And then he'd pull up the street and watch from the comfort of his vehicle.

I was referring to Wisconsin for baiting both deer and bear for the record.

And Wisconsin does rotate who hunts first for bear every year.  This year is was hunters first and then running dogs later in the season.  Next year the dog runners will go first and hunters later.  My brother will still put in for the points but won't take a tag since the dogs are out.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
If you brother just got a tag it'll be another 7 years before he gets a chance again. I got 6 points my buddy has 8 and should get drawn and we have a few other guys in the group floating around 3-5...  we run em with dogs.. if your even considering it you should just start putting in for a tag as by the time it comes around you'll have enough points.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
If you brother just got a tag it'll be another 7 years before he gets a chance again. I got 6 points my buddy has 8 and should get drawn and we have a few other guys in the group floating around 3-5...  we run em with dogs.. if your even considering it you should just start putting in for a tag as by the time it comes around you'll have enough points.

He figures at least 4-5 years before he gets drawn again.  Anyways, where you bear hunt in Wisc Beeker?

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm up north of spooner.. they changed the zones.. going from memory I think it was zone D1? northwestern most zone.  go in and check the draw history for previous years it's getting longer and longer each time.. used to be 3-4 and has just been creeping up over the last 10 years