Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rye grain  (Read 2511 times)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I planted it last year and it is coming up good now. Is a guy supposed to let it get ripe and mow it when it is ripe or what?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Is it a solid plot of just rye grain? Or, did you plant clover with it?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Just rye grain. Should a guy let it get yellow and then mow it? I know the deer love it when it is about 4 to5 inches high. Now it is about 2 feet high with heads on it.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yea, they prolly won't hit it a whole lot now, cause there is alot of food for um out there.
You can chop it off or leave it, it won't make much difference. Unless it is sparse, then you let it re-seed, chop it, and it will come up thicker next spring. (unless the birds get the grain)

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Will it grow tall enough by fall if I let it get yellow and chop it or is it done for this year?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Let it grow and just die off. It will help a lot with weeds in your plot, Organic matter for top soil, it will scavange for nitrogen in your soil and recycle it leaving it on top where you need it. Planting Rye Grain can only improve your plot. It also makes great fawn cover and Turkey nesting too. I have that happen every yr in my plots. It will be dead by the time you want to replant in late July or August depending on what you want to plant.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok, I mowed it all down. Can A guy just leave it mowed down and it will regrow? Or, do you have to till it in again?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250

Piss on it and walk away