Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635564 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
   :scratch: Gonna be 40*+ & windy.  :sleazy: :evil: :rolleyes: :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 03/13/22, 02:31:07 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Looks like my tullibee trip is a go  :dancinred: :dancinred: :blues brothers: :rocker;
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like my tullibee trip is a go  :dancinred: :dancinred: :blues brothers: :rocker;

don't forget the pup!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: that's still up for debate?? :doah: :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

but it's your dog!!!!   he wants to be with you!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

but it's your dog!!!!   he wants to be with you!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
:tut: don't push it!! :rotflmao: not sure I want to leave him in the cabin that much. He sure as hell ain't gonna sit still in my pullover shelter!! :doofus: :doofus:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Geigers shut down their access to trucks today.
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 03:11:55 PM by merc »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Geigers shut down their access to trucks today.
oh my!!!!!!

just looked at the webcams........holy crapper did it get soggy up there today!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 04:17:45 PM by glenn57 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i seen highbanks are closed for the season also. there latest thing on facebook said there access is open at your own risk.and there is a collection box for road usage!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The Cutfoot bridge on 46 had water on top of the ice for 50 yds in both directions this AM early. I wouldn't be at all surprise if there's moving water there by the weekend or early next week. The Portage bridge doesn't look much different either. Seen 4-5 trucks/trailers parked on 46 by the Little Cutfoot entrance on our way home too. Must be 7-8 trucks/trailers over at the resort as well, double what was there this morning. With our temps, ~ 53*, & that wind we had quite a bit of water on top of the ice out here. Still seen 8-9 out here using 2 SxS & a wheeler by ~4:30-5. 
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 08:42:10 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: There can't be much  :snow5: left out on our side of the bay. That W, SW, wind the last 2-3 days has turned the eastern 1/3 of the bay awfully gray.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just looked at the webcams....the landings look pretty wet.  :confused: :doah: i'm not real concerned about ice thickenss, i'm way more worried about getting ON the lakes!!!!

geigers webcam just showed w wheelers headed out.............and a fly on there camera lenz!!!!!!  :doah: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: It doesn't look like the group over at Lakewood is having any trouble getting around out here to me but I did see 1 of the rigs headed west on CR 35 early yday. I talked to the husband over there earlier in the week & he said a lot of their guests had been fishing elsewhere this year. Little Cutfoot the most recently but he mentioned Bowstring, Winnie, Round, & Dunbar(?) too. When we got home from GR on Wednesday I wasn't sure I was going to make it in the driveway though as there's a lot of slush down there when you get to the top of that little hill. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yesterday afternoon i looked at geigers cam, there parking area on the lake looked like a big water puddle!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Probably getting close to 2/3 of the bay had some standing water on it by the time the sun poked out here yday afternoon too. Luckily the downspouts weren't running early yday but we could use some cooler nights so it quits melting a little. They did have 1 gate at the dam by the paper mill in GR open & it was running pretty good. The river from there to Cohassett was starting to open up too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cloudy days sure would help too!!!!!! after the weekend of the 25th-26th.........let'er buck.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The W, SW wind seems to be making a big difference too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY GUNNER........question. you belong to the Sand lake watershed group. what is it they actually do??? other then having beer parties!!!!! :evil: :rotflmao: i guess i'm not really asking what they actually do for you, but ......... whats there purpose???

reason i ask is i got a letter/application in the mail today from the JLWA.jessie lake watershed association requesting i join. its only $15.00, so its not the money. mt dad belonged/joined it when  he was alive, and from my memory it was simply a piece of information in newsletters!!!

mom carried it for a few years then decided no more so i carried it for a few years. i dont remember actually how this all went down but i did inquire about something regarding the watershed....the cabin lake is part of it and to say i was totally less than impressed, yea like the DNR FISHERIES! :rolleyes: i quit paying it. i got the distinct impression if you werent on Jessie in it self you were just donating money!!!!!

maybe things have changed since then, and i may give them a shot to convince me, since i'm retired i may go to a few meetings!!!! my thought process is to write this guy a letter asking a few questions.....and telling him his responses will dictate if i join or not.

IF ANYONE else here belongs to a watershed group.......PLEASE pipe in.......i'm truly interested in knowing your thoughts!!!! 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours is the SLPOA, Sand Lake Property Owners Association, & we go back to '89 so we're 1 of the oldest lake associations in MN that is still in operation. Ours yearly dues are only $15 too but I usually pay it, so I give them $25 or an extra $10. That $10 can be designated to go to a special fund they can use anyway the members say they can, or they have a stocking fund as well & that's what I designate mine to. It's about the best $25 I spend every year IMO as they do a lot of good things for the lake. The SLPOA was instrumental in getting Birdseye turned into an AMA, Aquatic Management Area, in the last 3-4 years so it can't ever be developed back there. That took close to 20 years, the support of the DNR, & matching funds from the richest guy on the lake. There's a lot more but I don't have time now. Here's a look at the latest newsletter http://slpoa1.com/ & if you want to read more of it just click on the green NEWS in the grey box after the new president's introduction.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks gunner...looks interesting and your newsletter looks light years ahead of what jessie lakes was!!!!!!!

i'll be putting a pen to paper in the next couple days to find out more info about the Jessie watershed group!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We put 1.9 million walleye fry, that's double what the DNR usually does, in the lake in 2018. It was a non-stocking year for the DNR for our lake, they will only do it so often. So we talked to the DNR, we had to get a permit to do it, & they recommended where we could buy some. Then arranged for enough volunteers, & followed the DNR's & vendor's suggestions on how to go about putting them in the lake. I think that cost ~ $20 k, of which the association paid 1/2 & Mr. B paid the rest.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We put 1.9 million walleye fry, that's double what the DNR usually does, in the lake in 2018. It was a non-stocking year for the DNR for our lake, they will only do it so often. So we talked to the DNR, we had to get a permit to do it, & they recommended where we could buy some. Then arranged for enough volunteers, & followed the DNR's & vendor's suggestions on how to go about putting them in the lake. I think that cost ~ $20 k, of which the association paid 1/2 & Mr. B paid the rest.
way to feed and fatten up them snot rockets!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i wonder if the Jessie lake watershed group would fund restocking the cabin lake!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: there's supposedly someone on the lake on that board....... i'm sure he got my info!!!! :evil:

yea my buddy Wentzel told us we could get the permit and pay for stocking........but we don't have a rich guy on the lake!!!!!! :pouty:
« Last Edit: March 03/19/22, 08:23:32 AM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Rick guy??????? :bonk: :doah: I thought his name was Carl? :nerd:   ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Rick guy??????? :bonk: :doah: I thought his name was Carl? :nerd:   ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:pouty: fat fingers again. :confused: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen a small group out on Bowstring on the north end when we went over to Hayslips yday. Looked like they were on wheelers with popups & flip overs to me. When we got down to the CR 35 access, they were all parked either on the road or just inside the entrance.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
way to feed and fatten up them snot rockets!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i wonder if the Jessie lake watershed group would fund restocking the cabin lake!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: there's supposedly someone on the lake on that board....... i'm sure he got my info!!!! :evil:

yea my buddy Wentzel told us we could get the permit and pay for stocking........but we don't have a rich guy on the lake!!!!!! :pouty:
:scratch: I seen quite a few 10-12" :fish2: last year at times though, so they didn't get 'em all. :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We get > $10 K in grants every year too. :happy1: :cool: The biggest comes from Micrsoft & is ~ $7 K, last I seen the #'s. Grants like that usually have to be applied for by former employees. There's another from 3M that's ~ $3 K. We also get 1 from Itasca County for AIS monitoring at the PA too, that 1 the SLPOA matches. Some of that goes towards time for a Decon Unit at the PA too. The Decon Unit is usually only here when they expect the PA to be pretty busy though. The people monitoring kind of rotate & are here a lot more, a couple I've talked to are retired DNR guys.
« Last Edit: March 03/20/22, 08:15:07 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
talked a bi t with my brother yesterday afternoon. he had called Geigers!!!!!! the guy there said you can easily get out from there resort and pretty much get anywhere now. he did say they had about 4 inches of water in there parking area!!!!!!

he told my brother he sees 2 trucks out on the lake but had no idea where they went out from!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I see TWC's site now has the 1-3" back in their forecast for Tuesday. We had 99.1 on the radio going to get the paper & they said ~ 1", maybe.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I see TWC's site now has the 1-3" back in their forecast for Tuesday. We had 99.1 on the radio going to get the paper & they said ~ 1", maybe.
thats what i seen this morning also on a couple weather sites!