Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635433 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It was piled up there pretty good late yday afternoon, so it probably is all gone. Might take the wheeler over to Northern Acres & check it out, later.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I found a little ice at the NW PA on Bowstring yday. Most of it was breaking up & floating except for 2 spots to the north where it was still attached to shore. Maybe 20-25 yds along that shore is all.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
just rerad jeff sundins report.......basiclly about minnows for opener. he says spottails will more then likely not be available. and if they are reven more spendy.

also i guess now iffin you arent a native you can no longer trap minnows on any leech lake reservation lake  :crazy: apparently winnie and leech lake but out a pile of spottailsl!!!!  :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm as native as they are.  :confused:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm as native as they are.  :confused:
oh i hear ya........dont get me started!!!!!!! :angry2: :angry2: :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I read it too, & he also said that there were only a couple "non-native" trappers working the rez to begin with, so the retail customers shouldn't notice too much difference. I did peek at the bait tanks at L&M yday & they were empty, not even a crappie minnow. Same way last season, so then I asked a guy I know & was told they had some comin on Friday. They did have minnows the next week when we were there, but not many shiners left. We had lunch in DR yday & when we left town there was a flatbed truck with at least 6-8 bait tanks on it sitting at Fred's ~ 12:30. I didn't know Fred's had been sold though :scratch:, sounds like the guy that has the 1 by GDP has it now.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother told me last night he feels the lake right now is about normal water level. He did think the swamps and creeks are plenty full from the snow and water runoff!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: We're WAY UP, 2-3' at least. :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So Gunner how busy is the bay this morning??

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not very!! Most of the boats at the resort were still at the dock at 10-10:30. Went over to the NW access too, the parking area by the ramp had maybe a dozen rigs in it. There was another dozen total on the road on both sides combined. Normally, they're parked almost 3/4 of the way down to Geiger's road on the east side & ~ 1/2 way down on the other. Pretty windy, it'd be kind of chilly sittin in a boat IMO. Been a few from the resort come back into the bay today, but not many & they haven't stuck around very long.
« Last Edit: May 05/14/22, 02:55:52 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't heard any reports from my brother??? I'd send him a text. But then he'd think I actually cared!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
They were parked on the road at 8 already at the CR 35 access today. Looked like 2-3 more had just put in & were lookin for a place to park when we were on our way home. Tim said all the reports he heard were pretty good. The nicer :fish2: came in the afternoon but that's when the wind was really blowin too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner, Merc, do you guys get your propane from cenex???

We do and today I got a dear John letter from them saying there not doing the summer propane fill special due to the high demand last winter and the voilate market  caused by Russia/ Ukraine!!  :confused: :doofus: :pouty:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have electric heat and the 20 pounders I get filled in Talmoon.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner, Merc, do you guys get your propane from cenex???

We do and today I got a dear John letter from them saying there not doing the summer propane fill special due to the high demand last winter and the voilate market  caused by Russia/ Ukraine!!  :confused: :doofus: :pouty:
I got a notice from them that I’m not using enough. We have a dual fuel system with electric heat and propane as a backup. We also have an air source heat pump and burn wood. They said they needed to swap out the tank for a smaller one or drop us. We’re going with the smaller tank until we can check other options.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think we've gotten that notice yet as they probably send it to Ia, but I'm sure we will. I'm not at all surprised that they aren't doing the summer fill special with what has been going on in that market since Putin got stupid. It was really cold up here, -20 to -30 a lot, in February too. When we went to town, we rarely seen any of their delivery trucks sitting at their depot by ~ 8:30. I think it was the end of March before we seen more than 1 truck sitting in DR & they have 6 trucks. :crazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We're dual fuel as well, our electricity is for in floor heat, basement & garage, with an on-demand boiler & our heat pump. The furnace is propane as is our generator, so we have a 500-gallon tank that we own. We typically only need to fill once a year & that's usually October before we go back to Ia. Because we own our own tank, we can buy propane from whoever we want. The tank does need pressure testing every so often then though, :scratch: ~ every 10 years(?). Is there a fee for them to change your tank, FW? If so, you may want to look into buying 1 yourself IMO.
« Last Edit: May 05/17/22, 08:26:22 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We own the tank too. I remember not long after my dad died mom got a letter from them saying we had to buy the tank for some stupid reason. Think they said due to the price of steel.

I was making my living working with steel at the time, so I shipped off a letter telling them that tank was already made. Didn't do any good. :confused:

I'll have to see what da brudder says!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We are Cenex up here and we just filled with the summer fill program.  Think it was $1.69.  ??  We have a 500 and we lease from them but that is free cuz we use enough of it.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Our tank is leased. I tried to buy it from them,  but they said no. They are raising the annual payment from $100 to $150 if I remember right. We told them we will go ahead with the 250 gallon tank, which will also have a price increase to $100/year. They will pump the remaining propane into the smaller tank when they change it. I’ll be looking at other options to buy a tank, and use all of the propane in the current one before the next lease payment. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know what tanks sell for now days but get your own!!!   I paid $600. years ago, to much but was cornered by Ferrell...  after I paid for it I dropped them fast, never looked back...  but this year will interesting for gas prices every where..  good luck!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know what tanks sell for now days but get your own!!!   I paid $600. years ago, to much but was cornered by Ferrell...  after I paid for it I dropped them fast, never looked back...  but this year will interesting for gas prices every where..  good luck!!
if my memeory serves me correctly...think mom cut a check for $500.00!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I owned my own in Heron Lake too, a little hard to bring it up here!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother sent me a few texts with fish pictures. He fished little Jessie and man did they have some dandy smallmouth bass!!

Did get some eyes on another lake I'm not mentioning!! :sleazy: they where headed to cutfoot today!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We are Cenex up here and we just filled with the summer fill program.  Think it was $1.69.  ??  We have a 500 and we lease from them but that is free cuz we use enough of it.
:scratch: My brother said he checked propane prices online not that long ago & found that the average price for Mn was $2.66 then, which is ~ $1 more than what we paid last fall. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 05/17/22, 12:54:37 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Been pretty tough for the people at the resort to even get out that much here with the strong wind & it's direction. :crazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
About 1/2 of the weekend crew at the resort pulled their boat this morning. They are now empty except for 1 that showed up yday.

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glenn, I know where your brother got the eyes at. Trust me I know.    :happy1:     ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, I know where your brother got the eyes at. Trust me I know.    :happy1:     ;)
:rotflmao: no... He wasn't on your side of 6. :rotflmao: I might be. :sleazy:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
No. it was the lake you always said doesn't have any fish. Remember?      :scratch: