Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635589 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Stopped at Sportsmans for lunch today & overheard 'em talkin about 107 mph winds Monday night. Went out MN 6 as to see how much damage there was as most is out there. Post Office, Funeral Home, & the Church just a block off Main had some significant damage too.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I assume then you headed home on Cty 35? How did things look there??
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Only a few small trees in the ditch on CR 35, the damage along Mn 6 disappeared as we got north CR 19 & closer to CR 37 too. Heard that there was quite a bit of damage over by Ballclub & again over on a little lake just east of Deer Lake called McAvity Lake.

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got back from our last trip and between the bugs and the wind it was brutal. I have never seen the skeeters that bad, even the wind didn't keep them away by the cabin. Considering the wind we did OK fishing. Got a dozen walleye and picked up enough nice sunfish for a fish fry. We got the sunnies while trolling for walleye but never tried fishing them. Going back Thursday with the next crew.  Will try walleye and panfish both this trip. Made it to Hayslips Friday but left before the meat raffle started.     :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll be heading up Friday morning, probably before you and gunner get outta bed!!!🤭 :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Back from the north land. Gunner, it was great meeting up with you. Good visit, no meat but I'm used to not winning. We ended up getting our limit of walleye for five guys and the bonus sunfish I told you about. Got three on Bow and the rest on the other two lakes I told you we were fishing. Good trip except for the hoards of skeeters.     :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dis was Friday on my top secret hot spot. :mooning: we are 8 short of 2 limits.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This was one outing, not sure which lake. We done did well with pike. I got pickling and smoking material now!!! :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn I used to love catching any northerns.  When I get the Y-bones out of them I like them as much as walleye.  I may have to get back into that.  Sure fun to catch.  I trolled with a 14' boat and a Rapala or a Red Eye.  On the small lake type thing we were on bobbers along the weed edges worked good too. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We typically use rapalas of all kinds but do best with plain old daredevils!! I bet we caught 60 pike!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like you guys had fun!!  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like you guys had fun!!  :happy1:
why yes we did!!!! Even burnt some firewood!!

Think a few skeeters where as big as some of the sunfish!!! :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so they ate good off ya!!!  good for you guys!!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so they ate good off ya!!!  good for you guys!!!    :happy1:
if they did not sure what there blood alcohol content would of been!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Back from the north land. Gunner, it was great meeting up with you. Good visit, no meat but I'm used to not winning. We ended up getting our limit of walleye for five guys and the bonus sunfish I told you about. Got three on Bow and the rest on the other two lakes I told you we were fishing. Good trip except for the hoards of skeeters.     :happy1:
Good to get together with you too. :cool: Neighbor & I found some hungry fish last night here. I had 3 eyes but 2 went ~ 11 & the other was 17". He had a lot of action too, but only 1 eye  that was a shade small (14.5"). Out early today too, had 3 in no time but they were all younguns. :scratch: Maybe, we could meet again over there sometime soon & have time for a couple of cold 1's.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
We typically use rapalas of all kinds but do best with plain old daredevils!! I bet we caught 60 pike!!
Plain old red and white daredevil has to to be responsible for more northern catches than any other bait by a wide margin.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Last year I had a black with orange stripe that was deadly. This past weekend it was and orange and white stripe daredevil. :happy1:

and yes sir...red and white is a killer too!!!!!!! :happy1: and other one we've had extremely good success with is a orange and gold hammered daredevil!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06/15/22, 08:57:54 AM by glenn57 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I know the Dehns, they took Sis's old fiberglass beast of a paddle boat off our hands. They live on Eggar Rd & usually sell sweet corn as they have a huge garden on a separate lot. She's usually pretty involved with the kitchen at the SL Community Center too, when there's anything very big going on. Seem like good people to me. :cool:
so, while i was up there i did some investigating!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: i had the names to the sand lake township board, so i stopped at the spring lake store. she told me we are in Lake Jessie township.  she went on to say the reason most the sand lake township people had spring lake addresses is due to the U.S. mail service!!! made sense.

NOW.......... :sleazy: i hunted down the Lake Jessie township board members!  :happy1: :happy1: she asked me a question that kinda bothers me though. she asked if out main road going in was a Township road. she said the road she lives on is not and they wont grade it???????????????

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Kind of figured that was the deal with the SL TWP people. :scratch: Didn't realize your road was a JL TWP road either & I'm not all that surprised that they don't do much for maintenance on those. :huh:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well it looks like maybe i will be headed to the cabin over amateur weekend! 4th of july. my kid wants to go up and asked if i was going up. i first told him no but thought what the hay........doesnt really matter to me. he needs to see if he can get out of his parttime gig first. i got a couple projects i could use and extra back............ the lakes i intend to hit shouldnt be busy so...........

otherwise it'll be the thursday after the 4th!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Heard there was a LOT of damage over on Little Jessie from Friday's storm when we got the paper today. A lift flipped upside down with a pontoon still on it, quite a few other boats, docks & lifts damaged too. Property damage from all the trees down as well. Knocked out the co-op's substation up by Talmoon too & there's still a bunch without power, Tim said. Word is it was a twister, I know my brother's cell rang just once & really loud just before the weather hit here (~ 11:30). He said it was a Tornado Warning from the Sheriff's dept. Hardly a stick to pick up here!! :crazy:
« Last Edit: June 06/26/22, 11:07:53 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the other day my brother sent me an email. one of his kids friends that deer hunts with us went up that way to go camping, thiings didnt work out so he asked if he could camp in our yard. we were fine with it.

later on in the day after watching the weather forecast i sent him one back telling him that maybe he should use the cabin cause the weather was sounding nasty.

long story short he was super glad he had that opportunity cause there phones went bazerk too and he said it it was pinpointed right on the cabin area. e did sauy everything was fine at the cabin.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i dont look at the webcamsas much during the summer months, decided  to take a peek today.......holy crap th dock at the narrows is almost all under water!!!!!! :doofus:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There's 2 or 3 over here on Portage that are even closer to the water. A decent SE wind & a couple probably have waves over the top, in fact.
« Last Edit: July 07/01/22, 07:10:27 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One of my major projects this past weekend was putting in that new first dock section. The one it replaced was downright dangerous.

Of course I had all kinds of help!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
what 60 feet to go?? 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope goes all the way to the water edge!!!

Iffin ya mean my help he's probably heading out there for the 10th time!! :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So glad you had help.   Much needed!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I see why you brought beer home. ;) Walkin on some of that looks like it might make me feel like I'd already had a couple too many. :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 07/06/22, 06:58:30 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I see why you brought beer home. ;) Walkin on some of that looks like it might make me feel like I'd already had a couple too many. :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: ha........the rest are in tip top shape. we change boards when needed.........and thats the second section i rebuilt........union made too!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

i also got my red and white clover planted around the big shed. busted my butt to get that done before they said it was going to rain......well  that didnt happen.  :banghead: :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 07/06/22, 07:38:27 AM by glenn57 »