Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635489 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
nope no 5 fish limit on those.....yet. only one i know of is little turtle. the meeting is this saturday at the jessie lake Lutheran church. i remember reading the jabber when i was scoping them out but i wasnt a member back then.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Taking your boat? :scratch: Last I knew the motor was broke................again. :evil:       ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Taking your boat? :scratch: Last I knew the motor was broke................again. :evil:       ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
:mooning: :mooning: nope....still broke......talked to the guy and i'll call him when i get back. he has a day job and does this on the side.....and he's a busy guy.......and damn good!!!!!!!!

i got my stepdads boat...........it floats with a new 15 horse merc on it  :happy1: :happy1:

besides i can catch fish in any type of boat!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm waiting for Boar. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well.......fishing wasnt lights out be ok. so tuesday when i got there it was work day, cut lawn, feed birds pick up brush in the yard. got things organized a bit and ready for fishing.
WED....... so finished putting stuff away, needed to fill a crater in deer hunting road, done.....for now. started raining so i finished organizing and did inside stuff. later inthe afternoon it quit raining so i dumped the boat in cabin lake..........kept for nords. found that the eagles rebuilt there nest on the lake!!!!! :happy1: :happybounce: up on the north east side!!!!!!1
THURS........  went to double secret XYZ lake  :sleazy: managed only 9 decent sunfish...........found them in 20-22 ft of water suspended.......man the lakes are high.
FRI.........went to maple lake in Merc's back yard, the lake finder on DNR says lotz of pike and i know there in there put had like 15 strikes but no hookups. i did get one 27 inches. did catch 10 keepable sunfish.
SAT..........was the Jessie Lake Watershed Assoc meeting......glad i went. i've always said you can read meeting minutes but you really dont get the full scoop unless your there. ven met another peterson lake guy there........i've talked to him on the lake several times...a good union guy like me!!!!!!!! :nerd:

no shortage oof rain........i dumped 3 1/4 out when i got there, wed we got another 1 1/4 inches wed and fri when i left dumped another inch. i look this time of year for signs of bear baitin.........but NONE!!!!!!!!

will be headed back the tuesday after labor day!!!!! :happy1: a buddy is coming up.......and one less black lab!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the one thing i forgot to mention was we have a lake just north of us we used to fish for pike alot.......until it had severe winter kill. the lake doesnt have any inlets or outlets and it has been low for quite a while. lets just say the only boat your going in there with is a kayak, canoe or 12-14 ft boat. and the first 100 yards or so your oaring out because of  all the weeds and junk.

for some reason the water level just doesnt come up much?????/ :scratch: :doah: :confused: yea its up more this year........but damn!!!!!

Forgot to also mention the skeeters weren't bad only seen I deer fly, no horseflies but them friggin ankle biting flies were sure annoying.
« Last Edit: August 08/28/22, 09:18:52 AM by glenn57 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got the screw you from Jessie lake township regarding grading the road going into the cabin. Kinda expected it but I'm checking into maybe the county commissioner.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
How long is the road and when was it last done?

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The reason I ask is the last mile in the woods at our place usually homeowners drag the road.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
From the highway to cabin about a mile. The part I'd like to see graded is about half mile. It services about 10 cabin owners.

When that was the only road to the public access the graded it.  :pouty: now they claim it's a minimum matinence road and don't want to set a precedent.

I talked to the grader guy once, he told me lack of money. So... Essentially we pay taxes for absolutely no services. If there was a fire at Any place on the lake it be burnt to the ground by the time they got there

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting.  Keep on their good side.  You will go much further.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting.  Keep on their good side.  You will go much further.
I hear but I got a point to make. They need understand o don't give up easy. I put in my letter the court ruling that happened over by Mora . I'm just going to try and talk to the county commissioner.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been following the Mora thing too.  What a crappy township. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: According to this https://www.albertleatribune.com/2022/02/ruling-could-decide-whether-towns-must-maintain-roads/ it's all or none. :confused: All I can say is, good luck fighting City Hall.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :scratch: According to this https://www.albertleatribune.com/2022/02/ruling-could-decide-whether-towns-must-maintain-roads/ it's all or none. :confused: All I can say is, good luck fighting City Hall.
I know but I gotta try!!👍

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just leaving the cenex in deer river.  :sleazy: LPS's dogs brother is getting pretty worked up. :rotflmao:

Beginning to think he knows the way :rotflmao:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a Gordon Setter that would ride in his crate all the way without being able to see much. But somehow the last turn to the lake was always greeted by him with joyful barking. Didn’t matter how many stops we made, what route we took, or if it took three hours or six hours to get there.  Somehow he was able to determine that we were on the last mile and would erupt into barking every time.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out :fishing: just before 6 & was back at the dock by ~ 7. I could've had my limit, but I didn't keep any of 'em & never left the bay. :happy1: :cool:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had 5 today, neighbor's been getting some nice gills in that same spot in the evening too.  :sleazy:  :evil:            ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
first off the weather was pretty good up there. no deer flies very very few skeeters. kids fly trick seemed to keep them at bay around the cabin for the most part.

first 2 days before my buddy got there i checked deer stands, filled the road more and cut, split hauled and stackeed campfire wood.

fishing was so-so. spent 4 hours looking for sunfish. all kinds of little ones in the 10-12 ft of water, the nicer ones where deeper suspended. and all over the place. ended up with 16. pike fishing well we hit 2 different lakes and caught 3, 1 was in the slot so went back. last lake we fished on saturday we ended up with 15, more smoking and pickling material!!!!!! :happy1:

might be my last fishing up there for the year!!!!

we did sneak across hwy 6 to Mercs side one day!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/13/22, 08:53:19 AM by glenn57 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
little road update.........we think one of the guys that lives back there did this but i did notice skid steer tracks on the road and he did fix up the road pretty nice, its what this guy does for a living and a union guy!!!!! :happy1: but i got the screw you letter back from the township. all kinds of reasons, excuses why not doing it.

i talked to a friend of mine up there about the roll of the county commisioners overseeing townships. he said his FIL is on  the otenegan township board and has been for 45 years.  :happy1: he told me some tricks to deal with that.  :happy1: he said go to the annual meeting with more friends then what usually go to these meetings, bring it up and they need to vote on it right there. if we have more friends then they do we get what we want!!!!!

only issue we may have is not being full time residents of the township if we can vote. still checking on that. if it works i got some work to do............but i got lotz of friends. :sleazy:

i forgot to add..........he said if the townships threaten to raise the taxes claim  :bs: :bs: he said that each township is allotted so much cash for roads and bridges and only one township up there uses up all there cash and thats Marell township!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 09/13/22, 09:15:20 AM by glenn57 »

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Was up this week to seal the deck and cut grass. Heading up Monday with my crew to fish. Glenn, you sneak to my side of six so I'm gonna sneak over to your side to take some of those rough fish walley.. Also  try the five fish lake for some fish fry fish and try some walleye fishing there. Hopefully the weather stays as the prediction is.     :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Was up this week to seal the deck and cut grass. Heading up Monday with my crew to fish. Glenn, you sneak to my side of six so I'm gonna sneak over to your side to take some of those rough fish walley.. Also  try the five fish lake for some fish fry fish and try some walleye fishing there. Hopefully the weather stays as the prediction is.     :happy1:
go gettem Merc. That 5 fish limit lake wasn't very good to us, eyes or pike. All year if I recall.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, hate to say it but your friend has misinformed you about township government and the purpose of annual meetings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
He got the info from his FIL, who has been on a township board for   45 years??? :scratch: :scratch:

I'm rethinking my plan. A guy that lives there also does dirt work and fixed the road up.  I'll think he can do it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, hate to say it but your friend has misinformed you about township government and the purpose of annual meetings.
so what is your version of how it works?? Not being a Richard, actually seriously would like to know.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Glenn, I'm not trying to be a Richard either buddy. What I know is based on being a township clerk for 33 years. Annual meetings are mostly for setting levies for the next year. Decisions on specific roads are made by the Supervisors at the regular monthly meetings.
I know how frustrated you are with your road. Is it a regular road or a minimum maintenance road?
I suggest you attend a regular meeting. I'm not sure how formal your township is but you may want to call the clerk ahead of time to get on the agenda. Your issues are real and I'd have a hard time believing they wouldn't be taken seriously.
Our township down here is agricultural so we don't have all the people on lakes like you do.
Townhip government is grassroots government providing the necessary services at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. If the County governments took over all those roads taxes would skyrocket. I wish you the best in getting things worked out

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Personally, I think you may be on to something with the guy that fixed the road on his own already. You MIGHT be able to get a few of your neighbors to agree to throw in a little $ to help pay some of his costs & maybe he would volunteer to look after it on his own if he was asked NICELY. :scratch:      ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:              :confused:
« Last Edit: September 09/16/22, 07:59:50 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for your input Roony. its appreciated.  :happy1: i didnt mean to imply you being a dick as i didnt take it that way.

the main road has an actual forest service road sign, the trail to our place i can see as a minimum Maintenace road but not the main road.  i've been down minimum Maintenace roads and noone lives beyond those signs. what jerks my chain the most is the info i recieved was that township doesnt burn up all its road money and this dont want to set a precedence is  :bs:

GUNNER..........i know that guy and get along with him so.......no problem there!!!! :happy1: i like that idea but there are 3 places on thelake i dont think you help defray costs, there jerks.  if we could get our hands on a skid steer, my buddy ran those at the coal plant for years he said he could fix that road up good and proper.......even ours!!