Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Spotted skunk  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
This is an odd question, but I never hear of spotted skunks anymore (I believe they are also sometimes referred to as civit cats). Any of you trappers ever see them. I don't even see them hit by cars.

The reason I ask is seems to me that the range where you might find certain animals has changed over my lifetime. For example I've seen road kill opossums north of St. Cloud and I'm pretty sure when I was a kid they would be found about as far north as the Iowa border, maybe Rochester.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Don't know if their range has really changed.  I think they are now found farther north because some of them caught a ride with some hay bales on a semi headed north.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have seen possums as far north as Merrifield with a neighbor having a family in their vacant house.
I also think that the milder winters of late are allowing more southern range animals to expand their range north, if only temporary.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Don't know if their range has really changed.  I think they are now found farther north because some of them caught a ride with some hay bales on a semi headed north.

Are we talking spotted skunks here or opossums?   ;D
Reminds me, you better get one of those trailer stickers for your hay wagon.   ;D ;D
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I do believe the range has and will continue to shift for numerous different species for a number of reasons. Possum were around my area a few yrs ago then we had a tough winter and now they seem gone. A few yrs back I seen them as far north as grand rapids. Spotted skunk on the other hand I havn't seen since I was a kid, they are more prevalent out west. For what reason they left the state I don't know. Another critter that seems to have dissappeared from my area is the bull snake. Used to see them as a kid but not in thirty yrs. I think the bull snake left due farming. Yrs ago every farmer had a chicken coop and an old grainery full of mice and rats(food), now they have grain bins and chickens are raised in the thousands in big long pole sheds.

One could write a book on why animal ranges shift but it happens with evrything from birds to fish, game and non-game alike. Some of it is caused by man and other by mother nature itself, kinda like population levels.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
sadly I can confirm that bullsnakes still reside in the great state of mn... by buddy chased me around with one last year.. can't stand snakes
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
sadly I can confirm that bullsnakes still reside in the great state of mn... by buddy chased me around with one last year.. can't stand snakes

I don't understand why you say sadly other than you don't like snakes. A bullsnake is one of the most beneficial and hanmless snakes that ever slivered the planet.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
the sad part is a grown man running from a snake he knows is harmless.. just can't help it
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
the sad part is a grown man running from a snake he knows is harmless.. just can't help it

I know what Santa is putting in your Christmas stocking....  ;D

I used to see spotted skunks too as a kid, but just the plain stripped ones are around now. And, we used to have possum like crazy, now, not so much.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman

...I used to look up to Beeker... not even afraid of zombies. This could be a game changer.