Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Soup's On !  (Read 2481 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ok.....not really.....

Just boil'in up antlers for this years mounting project.  ;D
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This year we took the advice of some members, and we are try'in the premolded forms from Wasco....we'll keep ya posted...  :Deer:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I didn't like the way the new molded forms were, so, I trimmed them down & sanded
« Last Edit: December 12/25/12, 06:31:47 PM by HD »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Then I hot glued the antlers in place. Then using some spackling putty, filled in the gaps.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Here is the finished product.

Didn't take as long as my original process, and it turned out "ok"
Just not sure if I'm as happy with it yet.........

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
How much time do you think you ended up saving HD? I have not seen those molds before. I might have to check them out.
~Swany

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Prolly 8 to 12 hours. Depending on the curing time of the putty I used before to mold the whole thing. I will say, that the maniquins are lighter than the putty. And just as easy to sand and mold to what you like in design.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Even easier if you find one you like. Then you don't have to change them either. Most have a plywood backer and I would suggest screwing them vs. hot glue. I do a few other little things to mine before covering with leather. They get a foam pad under the leather. Depending what the customer wants to spend, I hand braid leather for my finish around antler and oval. if they want cheaper I just purchased pre-made braid. Then onto a solid oak or walnut plaque with hanger, and if they really want to to spend some cash we laser engrave pictures, dates, stories, or whatever text or #'s they want on it!!!

Looks good HD! You need a winter job, come and see me.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
where do you find the molds? i have 2 deer i want to mount

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Wasco.com