Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1842 SPRINGFIELD MUSKET  (Read 4177 times)

Offline nitro76

Can someone give me an idea of what this is worth?

It is a Springfield Musket model 1842. The barrel has been shortened.

I should get a few more pictures later today.

« Last Edit: March 03/19/15, 12:25:54 PM by nitro76 »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 If the barrel was cut its basically worthless,Unless someone needs parts.It yours a rifled barrel?They were produced for many years off a french design.Civil war time the rifled the barrels for miniballs.Which went down to 58Cal quickly.If the barrel wasnt cut and its condition was assessed it could be worth quiteabit.They produced around 300,000 but the rifled barrel was included in that number they were fewer.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline nitro76

Thank You....
 It's not mine.. A guy want's to do some horse trading with his.
 I do know the barrel has been cut down like 5 inches or so.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: WHY would someone alter the barrel of an old gun like that. :scratch: :scratch: :doah: :doah: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, Dew is correct.....it's not worth much with the barrel cut.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup rick would even tell ya that. dew your amazing, I think we should have a thread called "Just ask Dew" coulf even help Glenn learn how to tie his shoes. but yea if the barrel has been alterd it scrap metyels or just a conversation piece of "why would anyone cut the barrel."
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yup rick would even tell ya that. dew your amazing, I think we should have a thread called "Just ask Dew" coulf even help Glenn learn how to tie his shoes. but yea if the barrel has been alterd it scrap metyels or just a conversation piece of "why would anyone cut the barrel."
yea and maybe he could teach you to fish!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: or at least how not to drop stuff in the lake or lock stuff in your vehicle!!!!!!! :coffee: :coffee: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :super smiley: :super smiley: :super smiley:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Thank You....
 It's not mine.. A guy want's to do some horse trading with his.
 I do know the barrel has been cut down like 5 inches or so.

You could see if you get away with calling it a rare carbine edition, ;)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
there is still a lot of history in that piece. and if your just getting into collecting, it's a good starter gun. they're aren't making any more of them.. also as a display piece you don't have to worry about someone stealing it as it isn't a retirement fund and most thieves would have little idea how to load it.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
its definatley a cool piece to have for sure regardless.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"