Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: snapping turtles  (Read 6443 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so here we go again!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087 seeing more snappin turtles run over on the highways. man this really pi$$es me off. how da hell can someone not miss them!!!!!!!!!! training-087 training-087 :banghead:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just saved this one the other day.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
so here we go again!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087 seeing more snappin turtles run over on the highways. man this really pi$$es me off. how da hell can someone not miss them!!!!!!!!!! training-087 training-087 :banghead:

Because they may have thought it was a union turtle because it was walking so slow.

:sorry:  :offtopic: I just couldn't pass that one up.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and I'd expect nothing less from you Lee!!!!!!! :doah: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup I agree,they are wandering around finding the right spot to lay eggs,I pulled over on 35E the other day near Hugo as a good sized snapped got clipped along the shoulder and was upside down trying to right itself,I was amazed it did;nt show any sign it was hurt and scamperd off.

I've read they grow really slow,the example said a smaller basket ball size snapper is 20years old,10lbs maybe,I've seen monster snappers in a private lake I fish that are really huge 50lbs plus,3' across the back,must be 100years old maybe?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Jr saved this one today..........

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
they are cute little fellers aint they!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: almost as cute as boar!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

there shells make neat clocks also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
They taste great with taters and gravy.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
The season is closed in may and june and they must be 12 long. Shell length
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yepper!!!! july 1 you can possess them and quite honestly 12 inches isn't really big enough either. in my opinion anyway.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
so.. it was years back.. about 15 years ago. i was going through a divorce, buddy took me bow fishing down off the old 35 bridge in bloomington. we were having a decent time, then i stuck a log.. tugged on the arrow snapped the line. F... luckily i have a spare in the truck. walk all the way back tie it on, head back to my perch on the bridge.. good times were being had by all.. by all!.. then i did it again.. shot into a fishy looking clump of crap and snap.. so now i'm bummed. my buddy see's i'm fuming and decides it's time to pour alcohol on my flames. as we walk up the road to the car i see a yellow mustang convertible on the side of the road. no driver.. huh. ok. no biggy.. we keep walking and i see 2 people in front of the car.. ok.. it's a boy and girl. about 16. he must have taken daddy's mustang out to impress this gal. good for him. well they're hovering around a dinner plate sized snapping turtle that is by the curb. the boy has a stick in his hand and is trying to flip it over the curb. "this hero is saving a turtle to impress a girl I thought to myself".. we load up the truck put our bows away pound a beer. decide on where we're going to drink, so about 15 minutes of messin around.  we start driving, those kids are still there.. this hero hasn't saved this turtle at all. i tell my buddy.. "stop, stop the truck".. i hop out and walk up to their little circle of turtle saving karma and ask "what's going on guys".. the guy responds "these turtles can take off your finger so we're trying to get it over the curb".. me.. "oh.. ok." i reach down the girl gasps.. i grab it toss it over the curb and look at the guy "there you go little buddy". and i hop in the truck and drive away.

my buddy says i'm a jerk because i ruined that boys chances with that girl.. i say i helped that girl avoid a wussy

If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Sounds like an episode of "Father Knows Best".
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
And the moral of that story is, "he who wants snapper, shouldnt mess around with snappers"
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
gotta be careful with the snapper.. once you get your first you keep trying to get more even though you know how dangerous it can be. it's best to wait until your older and know how to safely handle them. and how to use the proper protective gear when handling.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man this topic went south in a hurry!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: and go figure its boars fault!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Glenn, 12 inches maybe small, but for some snappers....it's about right.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doah: :doah: and further south it goes!!!!!!!!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
once you fall into the hole.. it's hard getting out

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dont forget when snaper is vulnerable when they are on their backs.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
just avoid the ones that play dead when they're on their backs

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
These girls were not crossing the road. They were working the corner over pretty hard.

Looked like 5 or 6 had already layed their eggs in the road.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Different one.