Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muzzy season?  (Read 6402 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Is anyone going this Saturday?
I've been shooting my optima the last few weeks, and believe I have it dialed in. How about you?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'll be out but not on opening weekend.  Heading to Madison, SD for pheasant.  It's become a family tradition.  Girls head to the cities to do the "Black Friday" thing, guys head to SD for the weekend to shoot some birds.  Might be back early enough on Sunday to get an evening hunt in if I'm not too tired from the drive but most likely won't be going out 'til later in the week.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Heading to Alexandria area with my .54 cal. C.V.A. Hawkins.  Those .530 roundballs hit hard.  Nothing like launching a flying ashtray at a deer!  Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to all our members.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm headed to Winona the last 4-days in Dec. for a late season Muzzy Hunt, good luck everyone.
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm checking out the MDHA youth mentored hunt at Three Rivers Park on Saturday but will go off and on throughout the season.  I usually make random visits to just walk in the woods checking things out but also to show activity to help deter poachers.  For some reason muzzle loader hunters think all hunting is done so they now have the run of the woods.   :scratch:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Im taking my daughter, but maybe not till sunday.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
If I can't get my tag filled by this Sunday. Metro gun season runs until the 29th.  I'll be buying a muzzle loader license and pulling the TC out

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This is how I'm spending my evening....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went out last Sunday.  Went for a 5 mile walk around.  Had one doe get up snorting, ran 20 yards and stopped to look.  After about 20 more snorts, she walked away.  I don't think she ever saw me.

I spent all of Friday in the woods with the muzzleloader.  My brother in law and I put up two double ladder stands so I really didn't expect to see anything.  Great day in the woods.  Two new locations to try out next year, or this year with bow.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Anybody still  going?
........last weekend to go..........  :Hunter:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went yesterday.  It was one of those rare days when you could walk silently through the woods.  No crunchy snow or leaves.  The ground was wet and soft and the leaves were soaked from the melted snow and rain.  Although I wasn't able to walk up on any deer, I was able to walk up to squirrels and grouse.  These were out in mid afternoon apparently having a ball.  I discovered if you stand still enough, the squirrels will come and check you out. Really cool.  One food plot near camp has been pounded. Solid tracks and deer poop. The turnip leave have long been eaten and the started nibbling on the turnips.  I watched the plot for the last 1.5 hours of the day surely expecting to see some action but I guess they are hitting it at night.  I got commitments today and it looks like crappy weather tomorrow so I may be done for this year.  There still may be some bow hunts in the next few weeks. 

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been out a lot. I'll be heading out the door soon to go for the afternoon. Been real real slow. Haven't seen a racked deer in weeks. The buck I've been after all fall is still around, only I have 3 cams out on the 400 acres and he's been on all 3 sense November.  He's cruising trying to find the last couple unbred does. To much food on the farm to narrow down a area.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most of the deer around here have been in late season patterns (mostly cruising at night) I'm just starting to see them in the woods at dusk again. Most of the time, they are back in the swamp before daybreak.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Same activity here. All at night. Weather makes for some nice sits but it's not helping the deer get up and move during daylight hours

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Turn out the lights.....the party's over. ....

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Didn't get out today. Was gonna get out for the last evening but had to go fix a buddies furnace

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, time to move on to other things.
Pray for ice.....

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I got out 5 times and had a great time.  Mostly I just walked around looking at the land.  I would have been able to shoot a few does but never saw the buck(s) I was looking for.  Being I've already had a great deer season, I wasn't pressing too hard to shoot one with the muzzleloader. 
HD, the muzzleloader party is over, but not the bow party.  I plan to get in a few bow hunts before the end of the year.  Weather permitting that is.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya. Time to take the bow back out. And some coyote population control will keep me busy until the ice is finally safe

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I got out 5 times and had a great time.  Mostly I just walked around looking at the land.  I would have been able to shoot a few does but never saw the buck(s) I was looking for.  Being I've already had a great deer season, I wasn't pressing too hard to shoot one with the muzzleloader. 
HD, the muzzleloader party is over, but not the bow party.  I plan to get in a few bow hunts before the end of the year.  Weather permitting that is.
so deadeye..............i'd venture today isn't a weather permitting day??????? lol!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You got that right.  I'm pretty much a fair weather hunter.  Unless there are other reasons to go (usually planned hunts with a guest) I stay home when it nasty out. Today is a stay home day.  Of course being retired, I can go most any day providing the bride doesn't have other plans.