Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 901267 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Find yourself a piece or 2 of expanded metal.
« Last Edit: March 03/17/22, 06:47:52 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just bought a piece of 26 gauge tin about 3'x3' for $13 to do my duct work.  Was on the shelf at Menards. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey boober. i think i can fix ya up!!!!!! :happy1: i'm somewhat confused with that wider, heavier round piece of metal in the front of the grill.  :scratch: :scratch: i got piles of 1/2 inch rebar in my garage.......and a welder!!!!!!

of course it'll cost ya union scale beer!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds good to me Glenn! Good thing I gots lots of union grade beer on hand  :happy1: , I'll get ya some closer pics on what the old girl needs!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
hey boober. i think i can fix ya up!!!!!! :happy1: i'm somewhat confused with that wider, heavier round piece of metal in the front of the grill.  :scratch: :scratch: i got piles of 1/2 inch rebar in my garage.......and a welder!!!!!!

of course it'll cost ya union scale beer!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

They still brew Blatz?  :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

They still brew Blatz?  :confused:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I was going to text you some pics Glenn but decided to do it here. The tines took a hit from the heat over the years as you can see, it has a crank system to raise and lower the basket of coals for your fav "searing" which is a great feature. One of the  things I'm concerned is weight on the basket, it really flexes with a full chimney of coals, adding re bar will add to it. Another thing how is re bar going to be cooking over? This grill only costed me 150 bucks back in the day but has treated us pretty good. I don't know maybe I'll look around for a rectangle stainless grate tgat would come close to laying on the original grate??? Or if you want to tack something up that'll work also..  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well if the extra weight would be to prevent you from burning meat..........wouldnt that  be a good thing??? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i 'll try to answer all your questions, with maybe a few of my own questions!!!!!!! :happy1:

as i understand it the tines you  talk about are what holds the coals in place, right? if it flexes, is it because of the current condition of said tines??? my thought was your getting rid of that grate that holds the coals and replacing that. i would make a whole new piece.

rebar is or should be plain olg carbon or mild steel, and i dont see where that would be an issue cooking over, or having the charcoal on.

if your able to lift that crate, that rebar thing is going to be heavy. i cant see the gizmo that lifts it so the rebar maybe to heavy.

let me know, dont matter to me, i would suggest looking for a piece or 2 of expanded metal.......and stainless will be heavier then mild steel. and you can get different thicknesses of expanded metal. we have places in st cloud that sells that stuff, you should have places like that around the big city too!!!!!! 

keep in mind if you do find something see if you can get scrap.its cheaper and if it dont fit right i still can cut it to the size you need with the metal working tools i have!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry Glenn! Gonna try this cheap grate I found today, it's a little small but it covers the problem area. The arms on each side is what raises the grate, 2 bolts on each side hold the basket. Not sure if I can even crack em loose to replace it. Thanks anyway chum!!   :happy1: sure wish I was doing a long cook today tho..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: no worries here, just thought I'd try to help. Hope it works, looks like it should!!

Back to burnt meat huh!! :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Grilled ribeye, southern style taters and veggies!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cajun taters??
naw there where square little cubes, it's what the package said.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
first of the season charcoal bbq,nice big ole pork chop grilled and semi smoked with applewood.

decided to rid my 3 season porch of my pellet grill,seldom use it maybe 10 times in 3 years,I perfer my weber charcoal grill 95% of the time,don't mind the extra work either from start to finish.

another nice day to bbq later,blackend chicken breast over hickory wood chunks,homemaid tator salad from kawalskis (country style) with a little extra ingredients,like hard boil eggs and raddishes,chopped hot dill pickels etc...

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
fresh sauerkraut brats on the grill as I write this, it's what's for lunch!!!   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds great!  Hamburgers for us tonight and looking forward to them.  With our homemade dill pickles on them. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pork chops on the grill last night.  Tasted great and I didn't overcook them.  Made two extras so left overs tonight too. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :cool: Nice SEAR marks, lps!! ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple pork chops and eggs for breakfast would be good too.  :hubba:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Pork chops on the grill last night.  Tasted great and I didn't overcook them.  Made two extras so left overs tonight too. 

which grill??   :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The gas grill.  It does a nice sear. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused: :doah: those are simply grill grate marks!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is correct.  HOT grill grate marks.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sides were Mrs. Gerry's mac salad, our squash & sunflower salad. The good news: May have solved the disagreement about steak doneness here. Took a T-bone, sliced the filet off & cooked the snot out of it then put the strip on & cooked like I wanted. The bad news: I was running for my life. She thinks I can just flip a switch!  :angry:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.  The wife cuts a chunk off the steak for her and nukes it for a minute. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Chicky breasts tonite, seared & smoked up with pear wood. Haven't seen breasts that large since Dolly Parton. Mrs. Gerry's slaw & mac salad along with our garden beans. I dazzled Mrs. Cheviot with my footwork, wearing her down before she could launch an offensive... :sleazy:
« Last Edit: April 04/09/22, 08:51:48 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's quite a pair Dotch.   :sleazy: