Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dog Proof coon trap  (Read 2641 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Last week I had a coon (I think) messing with my bird feeders every night, so I put out a dog proof trap, one of those that they stick their paw in to get the bait and it grabs it.  Tied it to a tree.   

Next morning it was sprung, and all tangled up in the brush.  No coon.   Did I get a poorly designed trap?  Do they come in sizes?  How common is this?   

At least it hasn't been back bothering my feeders so that was accomplished, at least for a while. 

Didn't want to use the big conibear because it's a residential type area with a lot of dogs and they could get in it.   

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
See tracks? Bear maybe? here is what we caught messing with our feeders in the area,we baited for coon...Mean some beech as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Not too likely here in suburban Rochester.   

I have a live trap too, Hotel California version. 

I was wondering about the coon trap however.   Should I have set it out in the open so there would be no leverage? 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Del, you got a picture of this trap? I'm not sure what yur talk'in about.....I have a lot of traps, just not sure what kind you have.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I bought 6 last fall and have had great luck caught about 30 coon this spring to help the pheasants.  I bought two types a couple more expensive Duke dog proof, and some cheaper ones bought at Runnings  they don't work as well, IMO   more tripped traps or bait less with no trip..  I use either dog food and pour salmon oil or sardine oil on the dog food or put marshmallows in side for bait.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Coon got leverage with the tree. A big coon will be able to pull out with leverage. Is there a swivel on the chain? 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a swivel. But the chain and rope got all wrapped up in the brush.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Those are great traps. One piece of dog food in the bottom and you usually get your coon.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Got him a couple nights later in Hotel California.... It was pretty good sized.   And mad, for a while.   

Sorry for being slow with the follow up.   I will try again with the next one....
I usually don't go after them unless they are messing with stuff on the deck or bothering the bird feeders.