Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Roadsides are important habitat; delay mowing them  (Read 2007 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Roadsides are important habitat; delay mowing them

People who own or manage land along Minnesota roads and highways are urged to delay roadside mowing until the beginning of August.

Leaving roadside vegetation undisturbed helps preserve thousands of acres of nesting and chick rearing habitat in southern and western Minnesota. A quarter to a third of all pheasants in the state are hatched in roadsides.

This year, pheasants will be hatching mostly in early- to mid-June. Chicks need at least three weeks to have any chance of escape from mowers. While mowing can delay or prevent nesting, so can other disturbances including burning, tilling, grazing and spraying herbicides.

Roadsides also provide important habitat for monarchs, mallards, teal, gray partridge, grassland songbirds, native pollinators, honeybees, frogs and turtles. The DNR website has more information about the value of roadside habitat.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The farmer by me has already cut and bailed the road ditch.  FYI he raises zero animals. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Might be boar but it sure pizzes me off. Way to many people and townships are doing this.. :censored:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I agree, the DNR had a big write up a few years back or so if I remember, they should push it more
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm one the fence with this one.  Telling someone what they should do with a road ditch that buts up to their field I don't think is right but I do wish they wouldn't cut it.  Now the new mandate that is going into effect where they have to leave a buffer strip, with the reason contamination of the water, along ditched.  That one I really don't understand.  Ever ditch around here slopes away from the ditch.  If the reason is to stop contamination a buffer strip should be mandated around intakes.  Just one mans opinion.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood