Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Scent pots  (Read 3993 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When bear hunting, do you use any scent pots? I thought this one was interesting.

http://www.wyndscent.com/product/retail-package/
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
nope, I bring in grease everytime I bait. I take a water cannon and spray grease all over the canopy.  2-3 gallons everytime for at least till hunting starts. my sites are so saturated with grease, it smells like a cafĂ©, If the wind is right, I can smell my site 100 or more yards away.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I used to save up the bacon grease in a soup can, suspend it in a coffee can above a sterno can.  bubbling bacon grease was a great smell.  Only had one problem.  A bear knocked the can over and started a grass fire.  I had to chase him away to put it out.  Never tried it again.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I used to save up the bacon grease in a soup can, suspend it in a coffee can above a sterno can.  bubbling bacon grease was a great smell.  Only had one problem.  A bear knocked the can over and started a grass fire.  I had to chase him away to put it out.  Never tried it again.
wow...........what a bummer!!!!!! I can actually visualize deadeye doing that!!!!!!!! LOL!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
its recommended when doing a bacon burn to scrap away atleast a minimum of 4 feet diameter circle around the terno for just that reason.
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've done honey burns.  Kind of fun.  Takes an hour or so and gives something to watch while waiting for the bruin.  Smells good too.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've thought about putting it on an old garbage can lid or in a tin 5 gallon pail to contain the fire better.  Would hate to start a forest fire.   :bonk:

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It was in a field.  I bait at the edge and set up the blind (in this case hay bales) about 100 yards away.  I had cleared an area but the bear didn't care as he rolled it about 10 feet.  I would make a fort out of bales, put some popple poles over it and cover it with a camo tarp.  Very comfortable.  Of course the bears wouldn't leave it alone and I frequently had to rebuild after they had their fun rolling bales around.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That does sound like a comfortable blind.  Good idea.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah curious critters aint they, fun to watch..
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yeah curious critters aint they, fun to watch..
yep there as fun to watch as it is to watch you try to catch key..... er fish!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!