Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Angler debate: catch and release versus catch and drop in the grease  (Read 10081 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Angler debate: catch and release versus catch and drop in the grease
by Cory Yarmuth

The entire aspect of catch and release versus catch and keep has been a hot topic among  anglers. As a young angler, I would go out with my father and chase all types of species of fish. We kept these fish for the pan and would not think twice about keeping what we caught.

Growing up I was taught that my actions not only affected me and those around me, but could also the affect future. Learning this at an early age left an impression on me. A new world had been opened up and it soon became apparent that it was my duty to be a part of the conservation.

It was apparent that the times were changing and that a new type of angling was evolving. The catch-and-release angler in me was born. I do like to keep my share of fish for the pan, but a trip on the water does not necessarily mean that we are going to keep everything that makes it to the net.

There are people out there who are very aware of what it means to protect our fisheries and to keep the balance in check on certain bodies of water. However, sometimes they go about it in incorrect ways. Small fish are often let go and the larger ones are harvested because they have more meat. This works well on some bodies of water, however, it is important to keep the smaller fish and let the larger ones go. This will eliminate competition for food and allow larger fish to thrive and reproduce.

As a sportsman I was raised to utilize selective harvest when in the field. Keep only what you will use and don’t kill it if you don’t plan on eating it. Not everybody shares my views, however; I have learned to respect that.

Being within the law is one thing, but being within the thoughts of conservation is another.  If we as fisherman do not do our due diligence and learn more about the impact that we have on the bodies of water that we fish, many of our local lakes could become devoid of any good fishing.

Think about it for a while and come up with your own rules and plans. What can you do to help promote selective harvest? Enjoy the outdoors and all that we have been given to use.  Remember that it is a privilege and not a right.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I actually almost exclusively catch and release, that's why I hate the tiny lure ya haveta use when ice fishing, because the gills and perch suck it down, and no matter how careful you are, ya haveta rip it out. Waldos and such, no. Not a prob, but those I eat.  :laugh:

Offline Easy

• Master Outdoorsman
I never understood catch and release when I was young.  Now I do.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Enough for a meal or 2 for me unless they are hurt so bad that they won't make it anyway. I haven't kept a walleye > 17" in a long time as they are pretty rare here. C & R a lot of panfish every week after they move shallow & start bitin in the fall
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
C & R 90% of the time here too!!  even spearing!!  in other words I like to watch them more than anything!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
I keep a limit of walleyes maybe once a year. Rarely keep fish. I just enjoy catching them. I have no problem with someone who wants to keep their limit but I do have a problem with people who catch there limit multiple times a week. Social media (Facebook) is the worst. Seeing pictures of limits everyday(somethings multiple limits 4x a week from some) that bothers me. I just think to myself geez even if 50% of the fishermen do that there won't be any left in a decade

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I fail to understand the debate.  One buys a license if they want to catch fish, keep their limit and stay under their possession limit who am I to say.  If they are following the law to each their own. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I put every musky I catch in the bucket sleazy-422.gif
 just kidding. I would have to agree if you buy a license and want to keep your limit all the power to ya. There are exceptions. Catching and keeping a pale of the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies? There one of a kind and its nice to see some of them go back. We keep a few every year but hardly ever freeze fish. I would like to have a limit of walleye in the freezer when walleyes close to have a fish dinner in april though.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ok heres a question. how many of you agree with freezer possession limit. if you have state allowed possession inyur freezer, you cant catch and keep any more of that species, till they are consumed or out of yur possession..so if yu catch a limit of waaleyes, freez the for later a month down the road, you decide to got ice fishing again, you still cant keep any walleyes.or if you plan a big fish fry for a family reunion, everyone has to brimg their own fish. if they have any.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Cookie,In regards to your comment on red lake crappies,I fished url almost every weekend starting in 2000 before the word leaked,it was astounding the size of the crappies,infact it was hard to catch a crappie under 13's and these crappies were thick,15 slabs in a 5 gallon bucket was 3/4's full,all with the tails cureled up,I found that because these huge crappies were so thick they weren't the best eating,at least panfried,muddy tasting and mushy,so we rarely kept any back then,I was after a 18"er+ for the wall,never happened,stringer mount of 16"+ to 17"....what is your take,did you eat those biggin's back then? I think Rogers and Hudeck's were the only resorts at the time as well.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
ok heres a question. how many of you agree with freezer possession limit. if you have state allowed possession inyur freezer, you cant catch and keep any more of that species, till they are consumed or out of yur possession..so if yu catch a limit of waaleyes, freez the for later a month down the road, you decide to got ice fishing again, you still cant keep any walleyes.or if you plan a big fish fry for a family reunion, everyone has to brimg their own fish. if they have any.

It's goofy. Fat guys that eat fast get all the fish. Really! Catch, eat like pig, go back out.....Make a YTD LIMIT, like 50 fish in total for the season, Jan 1st to Dec 31st.  Whatever numbers apply to different species, of course, like 100 sunfish, 50 crappies, 15 walleye, etc.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Good rulle ONLY WISH it was ENFORCED!!!
 An Ya boar I have in my time had more than possision>>Thats when the older folk I know that dont get out anymore get some fresh fish. Course Sandy is always liscensed for that overflow! Normalllly we kkeep one llimit.The lake were on is tuned in an we get what we want when we want.
 Before the neck surgery I was out 3 times a day an Sandy was out at least evenings wit me.Sometimes we could have suppllied all the ole folks but kept it as ask an you'll receive
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

It's goofy. Fat guys that eat fast get all the fish. Really! Catch, eat like pig, go back out.....Make a YTD LIMIT, like 50 fish in total for the season, Jan 1st to Dec 31st.  Whatever numbers apply to different species, of course, like 100 sunfish, 50 crappies, 15 walleye, etc.
HEY YOU AULLDPHART!!! Dont denigrade us fatties!! How old are you? whats yer weight!!
« Last Edit: February 02/09/17, 03:44:48 PM by dew2 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
6'1, 239.....and over 59!!!  ;D   So, as Glenn would say:   :moon:    :rotflmao:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
6'1, 239.....and over 59!!!  ;D   So, as Glenn would say:   :moon:    :rotflmao:
HOD DANG Yer the same build as ole 57 smoking_a_joint-408.gif confused-3316.gif

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
HOD DANG Yer the same build as ole 57 smoking_a_joint-408.gif confused-3316.gif
yea but I be WAyyyyy better lookin!!!!!!!!! hubba_hubba-404.gif hubba_hubba-404.gif :bow: :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HIM?!?!?! He's a LITTLE BUTTERBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He gotta stand on step-ladder to talk to me!!    :doah:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HIM?!?!?! He's a LITTLE BUTTERBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He gotta stand on step-ladder to talk to me!!    :doah:
not only are you a sicko yer so full of  :bs: :bs: :bs: i'd bet your eyes are dark brown!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mad1: :mad1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Whaddya talkin' 'bout willis? Yer shorter than me! And rounder! Stop taking' those drugs!!   doofus-2124.gif

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
by 3 inches and your  4 lbs lighter.  tut_tut-3315.gif tut_tut-3315.gif

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Sounds like you two did a little sword fighting on your get together.   :rotflmao:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Naaa, we had a good time! In fact, he brought me some venny steaks that are thawing out for tomorrow!   :tongue:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Naaa, we had a good time! In fact, he brought me some venny steaks that are thawing out for tomorrow!   :tongue:
suppose Del lent ya his soupde vergie thingy and your gonna boil them!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No,no,no!!! Gonna sloooooow pan fry with lotsa onyums!!!  Maybe some mushrooms!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I know gllenn and you fellers now have me confused?????
 Heres some light humor for ya both! So who is talller gllenn by 3 or Reb by 3 Five ft one an a risen??

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!