Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Time To Catch A Giant  (Read 2462 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
In late March when the temperatures are rising, the snow is melting and the days are longer, the fishing really heats up.

Monster Pike Time

Northern Pike spawn immediately after the ice goes out, so late in each ice season these fish make a predictable migration to the shallow, weedy bays where all the action goes down. Until the ice actually melts, most of these fish hang around the first drop off where the shallow water starts to taper off. The mouths of bays and rivers are high-end spots.

The absolute best way to catch a big pike is with a large dead cisco (or herring) fished on a quick-strike rig, below a tip-up. My friends and I have experimented for years, and I can count the number of big pike on one hand that I have seen get caught actually jigging a bait like we do for lake trout and walleye. You will catch fish, but the true giants, the 15-20 pound plus fish, really like the real deal. Dead baits always work better than live baits as well. I’m not going to try to explain it, but we have tried and tried with live ciscos that we catch, and while they have been hit before, the dead baits are always best.

Most of the holes I fish are from 8-20 feet, and I like to set my bait about a foot or so off the bottom.

We have countless awesome bodies of water with monster pike, so if you want to catch one, that is how you do it!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
If you can't find cisco,  try fun dogs by schwigert.  Less than a dollar at wall mart.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup ive heard the hotdog works great, the cheaper the brand the better.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"