Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trout/Lake trout questions  (Read 3344 times)

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Hey all

I will be heading up to West/North Central MN later this summer, between Detroit Lakes and Park Rapids. I love to trout fish for brook/brown/rainbow trout, and I have never fished for Lake trout. Although I would LOVE to try. Is there anywhere that would be within an afternoon or morning's drive from here that I could get into some trout? I really don't know anything about MN trout fishing north of the Preston area, being from Iowa when I trout fish I really have no need to go that far north, as there are trout here. I'm assuming I'd have to head a bit east and I don't mind a drive, I can devote a day or two to trout fishing since I will be up there for probably a week

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mn DNR Lakefinder might be helpful.  :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm not familiar with any lakes or streams that way that hold trout. As far west as I know of, would be the pits in Brainerd. I've fish around Detroit lakes a lot, but don't recall any trout spots......sorry...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Few miles south of ParkRapids is the Straight River excellent for Browns.The MnDNR has a map with access sites.I fish it from a Kayak to get away from well used areas.fPlus a small canoe or yak gets to spots people cant or wont go cause of low swampy areas filled with cattails.
 For brookies go a little SE and find Cat Creek
 Both should be on the DNRs site,Last time I was there was 2012 the DNR had crews improving the river banks from siltation
 Links>http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/parkrapids/index.html
 Access link>http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/parkrapids/straightrivereasementmap2015.pdf

If yer lucky and a mayfly hatch is going Browns 3-7 lbs can be caught,Night time only never got any over 13-14 inches daytime,Then there a midge hatches.full mosquito gear is a must at nights.I've had to empty 2-3 inches of mayflys out of the yak once onshore an leaving!!
« Last Edit: May 05/07/17, 03:09:33 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies and help folks. Gunner55 I had been on lakefinder and I should have specified, the source of my confusion is some lakes were given the "x" mark for being a lake trout or trout lake, but then when you read the detailed report there wouldn't be mention of them nor would they show up in catch data?

Dew thanks for the tips, will have to check that out. I have found a lake on lakefinder called Caribou? I believe that was it, i looked it up at work *Shhhhh haha* and wrote it down but it's on my desk, I'll look tomorrow. I think it was Caribou though. I remember reading it has been managed as a trout lake for quite some time. Wondered if anyone had ever heard of it.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Figured maybe you had but wasn't sure. :scratch: I was hopin 1 of the guys who knew the area would chime in. I did a little browsing on the DNR"s site after I posted but mainly used the stocking reports part though.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
The DNR has trout listed in different maps than lakefinder. its confusing but once you get the right page all trout info is there,Heres a start to look
https://www.google.com/search?q=MnDNR+Trout+stream+and+lake+info&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS727US728&oq=MnDNR+Trout+stream+and+lake+info&aqs=chrome..69i57.22101j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
There are quite a few trout lakes in the Park Rapids area. Bad Medicine lake north west of Park Rapids is stocked with Rainbow's and has a pretty good population of nice size eaters. I have fished Bad Medicine for years and have had hit and miss luck. North of Bad Medicine lake, Long lake is also stocked with Rainbow trout. I've only fished Long lake a few times and have had some success fishing with power bait in 30+ FOW.    Big Trout Lake near Pequot Lakes is stocked with lake trout. I have not personally fished Big Trout but I know a couple people who have caught some pretty nice sized lake trout from this lake.
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Thanks again for the tips and locations folks! Dew I will check that link instead, thanks.

I am back at work and now I am seeing the lakes I wrote down. I was right, one of them was Caribou, the others I had written down were Bluewater, and Trout Lake. These were all in Itasca County I believe. Anyone fish any of those for lakers or stream trout?

Pickelfarmer thanks for the info. I would REALLY love to get even just one mediocre sized lake trout as I have never caught one before.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I think as far as lake trout you have your best shot right now on Lake Superior.  I know it's probably not on your travel plans right now but they are being caught out from the Superior entry right on the surface along with coho salmon.  The river mouths along the north shore are a good place to cast also right now [have to use a single hook]  early in the am and in late afternoon.  Grindstone Lake near Sandstone has lake trout but it doesn't open till this coming weekend.  This lake also has rainbow and brown trout as well.  If you really want some nice lakers sometime and have the time, go on a charter with some friends on Lake Superior and you will get some great action.  good luck.

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info Reinhard. Unfortunately I don't think I can make it work into my travel plans, at least not this time around. I'll be too strapped on time to make it all the way over to Superior and if I did somehow make it there, I wouldn't be able to stay as long as I'd like.

Question on the Superior lake trout, what is the best time of year, were I to do a charter? That is definitely something Id like to look into in the near future. I've had the itch to catch one for a long time but that sounds like a better bet. I'll make a specific thread about it later and maybe folks can chime in there too.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
With a charter they would get the trout for year all season long.  The fish are near the surface now, but as The weather warms the lake trout and salmon go deeper.  So the charter guy's know what they are doing and you will come home with fish and they do get into some big lakers as well.  You will also catch coho salmon.  The coho are the best tasting out of Lake Superior.  Not as big as Lake Michigan but much more tasty.  Give a charter a call or look them up on the puter.  Lake superior charter fishing.  good luck.

Offline Capt. Parker

• Minnow
    • Superior Pursuits
If you're looking for a charter on Lake Superior I am your guy.  I run full time out of Duluth MN.  Best time of year will be through the middle of June.  Coho salmon and Lake trout will be on the surface.  There is a slow time first couple weeks of July.   Then the fishing pucks up again in end of July through the end of the season.  Let me know of you need any more info.

www.SuperiorPursuits.com
(906)-360-7513
Chasing Lake Trout on Lake Superior

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Thanks again Reinhard and thank you, Capt. Parker, you also have a PM