Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hummingbird birds  (Read 30300 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Been awhile since I seen one but my feeder with home maid nector is almost gone so they must be around mid day?,I'm told some hummer's hang around until freezeup.

Side note,monachs have showed big time lately,had a couple dozen hangin on my tree's lately.
« Last Edit: September 09/25/20, 10:18:44 AM by snow1 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just checked back in my columns and noted the hummers were last seen at our feeders Sept. 29th last year & the 30th the year before. In town sometimes the gal at the grocery store I compare bird watching notes with will see them a few days longer than we do. She told me recently about putting more jelly out for the orioles. Her 3 years old granddaughter was convinced there was a dimple out of what was still in the dish. Never argue with 3 year-olds when it comes to filling bird feeders she said.  :laugh:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gosh my orioles are long gone by mid summer here in central minn.

can you see the young oriole? perfect camoflage

« Last Edit: September 09/25/20, 10:18:10 AM by snow1 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw no hummingbirds this a.m. at the feeders.  :sad: Doesn't necessarily mean they're not around as snow said previously. Have seen them show up after a day or so missing them in the morning. Still plenty of clean nectar in the feeders and flowers for them to feed on.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well its been a couple weeks,no hummer's and full nector feeder's so maybe its time to pull em,one more week as temps will rise again next week,but got a feeling they bugged out,hoping for some migrators to stop bye,monarchs are gone too,watched 100's of night hawks migrate the other evening all heading south bobbing and weaving as they went.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Roger the chasing.    I see all those pictures of feeders with multiple hummers on them.     I never have more than one, and that one will hang around to chase off any others...  And it is like that all summer.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oops.  I see some on my feeder is frozen.  Today is the day for them to come down.  I may take the screens off the windows today too.  Then we can see outside better during the winter months. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so is the bird bath here..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so has anyone put there hummingbird feeders out???? this putz that puts a piece in the paper said they've been spotted in the metro area already?? i read his little blurb, but it leans to buying his expense stuff. he owns this wild bird center in st cloud.

it is getting close to that time, i usually put them out around fishing opener!!!!! :happy1:

how about the orioles????? seen any of them?????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Put ours out before we went home last time, then had 1 that was ~ 1/3 slush a couple day later. :rolleyes: :bonk: I told him it would be a month yet but he listens to me just like you listen to your brother. :shocked:   
  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Put ours out the other day. Just looked at TWC  29, 30, 30, 30 for lows the next 4 nights.  One is glass and one is plastic.  Wonder if there is enough sugar to keep it from breaking?

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta think our cold nights  is to much for these little critters,freeze babies.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen any hummers at our place yet but have had a nectar feeder out since Friday that both the hummers and orioles can use. Jelly feeder w/oranges was also put out. Roony did spot an oriole late last week. This cooldown along with the slow development of leaves & flowers primarily outside of municipalities & wooded areas may slow their sightings elsewhere.

There are several migration progress sites when you search for them. Here are a couple:

https://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-migration-map-2021.html#spring-migration-map-2021

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?year=2021&map=oriole-first-baltimore

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No hummers (birds) here yet either. Still seeing an occasional Oriole and had an Orchard Oriole today. I also saw my first male Rosebreasted Grosbeak of the year this morning.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I caught a Bethune's pinion in my armyworm moth trap so there!  :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You get all the good bugs.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The hummingbirds are nuts here at the cabin
 We have 5 feeders out and since I got here Saturday I've filled each one once already. :happy1:

Not much for other birds though.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They were nuts here last nite around dark too. Between the flowers and feeders they're like kids in a candy store. I have no idea how many orioles we have. At least a couple pair each of orchard and Baltimore's & an assortment of immature birds of both species. And catbirds.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
The hummingbirds are nuts here at the cabin
 We have 5 feeders out and since I got here Saturday I've filled each one once already. :happy1:

Not much for other birds though.

dang it glenn,no hummer's at my place yet,do you have other attrators out? flowers? curious,only have one hum feeder out,yet to see one show,clueless how to attract them.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :crazy: :scratch: I have no clue why they're like that up here? Gets worse come fall, some days I can fill the same feeder twice. does have flowers planted but I wouldn't exactly call them hummingbird magnets

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch gets all the immature birds.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
  :crazy: :scratch: I have no clue why they're like that up here? Gets worse come fall, some days I can fill the same feeder twice. does have flowers planted but I wouldn't exactly call them hummingbird magnets

what ya using for nectar? home maid or store bought?,right now I used up some store bought orange but thinking making up a batch of sugar water someone posted here 4 to 1...this weekend.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Home brew. Early year 3 to 1 water/ sugar mix with red food coloring. Same ratio in the fall. Summer 4 to 1.
Orange is for orioles.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never seen a fat humming bird yet!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
reading up on our feeders birder's claim food coloring is harmful to hummer's also in warm weather our feeders need regular cleaning as mildew will kill these tiny birds,have a friend that is a ornithologist,worked many years at our U of M,infact he headed the bird museum at the U now teaching,residing in nebraska,interesting feller,earlier in life he showed me pic's of one of his many field trips collecting bird species,this one event he spent a few weeks collecting hummingbirds in south america,claimed they used badmitten nets to capture them,the goal was to collect as many species for grad students to study back here in minnesota,,they/ he would stuff these birds for years of doing research,he had a 1900 era passenger pidgeon stuffed  that came with the museum when he took over I had a chance to see up close,looked like a large mourning dove with tail feathers like a pheasant

this doctor of science tells me sugar water like you discribed glenn is the best source for our feeders,guess my metro minn area isn't a hot spot for hummer's,they sure are interesting critters.
« Last Edit: May 05/26/21, 01:41:01 PM by snow1 »

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
For what it’s worth, I’ve heard-and my personal experience is-that nearby water enhances your chances of attracting these guys. That doesn’t explain the plethora of humming bird varieties that inhabit the desert southwest, but I know the ruby throated ones around here seem to be more prevalent where there’s a natural water source nearby.
To Glenn’s point, they have been crazy around here lately. I got buzz bombed tonight taking window boxes of red geraniums down to shelter them from the likely frost.
A good, but slightly dated, source of information for all kinds of bird feeding are books authored by George Harrison—not the late Beatle.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe years past the food coloring wasn't good for them but I don't buy it now.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't use any coloring.  Just 4 to 1 water to sugar.  I just use warm tap water.  I used to heat it on the stove but don't do that any more.  We have hummers around again this year.  I fill my feeders maybe once a month.