Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hummingbird birds  (Read 30312 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have bees now and haven't seen a Hummer for a few days.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still a couple here this a.m. tick-tock 🕰
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just seen one out back, a just about had myself convinced to take them down and clean them up.

So next week when I get back.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Bee's ,yellow jackets,paper wasp's but my little "rufus" hummer is relentless hanging in there and sharing it's nector,I'll wait until our first freeze before my feeders come down

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't see any hummingbirds on the nectar feeder whilst I was seated in the oval office this a.m.  :sad: Just stopped by the ranch a minute ago & noticed one working over the 4 o'clocks.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw one this morning. Not the nut house it was last week though.
I think the wrens are finally gone.
The only Wren I like is the weathergirl!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Cleaned up 1 feeder today, not much goin on for about the last week.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one right away this a.m. on the red salvia. Supposed to warm up some the next several days. Hope they stay a little longer...🤞

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My little rufus showed again at sundown,seems he perfers the orange glass feeder over the grape colored feeder,dunno same nector? fisty little critter as I watched him buzz the chickadee's on they're feeder about 10' away from his nector feeder,he looked like a A-10 on a straffing run.
« Last Edit: September 09/24/21, 09:08:28 AM by snow1 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I saw a little green one (rufous?) at sundown too...hitting on my impatiens. Almost got a pic, but he was gone by time I got the camera. Gonna watch closer today...man they're cool! *FLIT*FLIT*  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nothing spotted this a.m. here in the short duration I had to look before heading out. Will stop by around lunchtime & see if they reappeared. Still plenty of canna blossoms yet.

Update 12:21 p.m.: Just saw one on the nectar feeder.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/24/21, 12:22:18 PM by Dotch »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one right out of the chute this a.m. on the nectar feeder. Came back in from chores & there was a real tiny one on the feeder, even small by hummingbird standards.  :scratch:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
They have been gone from up here for 2-3 weeks now. Took down the feeder about 2 weeks ago.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We haven't seen one for a week or so neither.  May take down the feeder today. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One here yet this a.m. on the nectar feeder. Just cleaned and refilled it yesterday. Prolly be the last time for the season... :sad:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Still have at least one hitting the feeder  here in cawchester...  Little bitty thing.... is that a roufus?   

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Still have at least one hitting the feeder  here in cawchester...  Little bitty thing.... is that a roufus?

Most likely Del,as the rufus average size is 2.5"s,not much color either,and boy are they fast.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one here this a.m. on the nectar feeder. It's tiny although odds are here anyway, this is probably an immature ruby-throated from a little later hatch. The color pattern matches that description most closely. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
My little rufie (if that's what it is) has been around since mid summer,mostly gray for color.Never had the ruby throated this year,tried to entice them withan aray of mixed flowers,my blooming trumpeter vines couple always stocked with fresh sugar nector,no luck.

:sad:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
snow, you're out in SD yet, right?  :scratch:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow is in Mn and has a get away out in SD too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
When I got to the cabin Tuesday last week, the hummingbird feeders weren't touched. So I pulled them. Did the same here at home today.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,I secured my soon to be retirement hacienda in Chamberlain SD. Currently keeping tabs on my 93yr old father in senior care,it's day by day health wise for him,last of my family so once he passes,I'm set,bought a chunk of land last summer and added to it this past summer,seem's alot of farmers in the dakota's are retiring early in life due to corporate farming,family I bought my land from mom & pop past away couple years ago,hunted this land for 20 years,oldest son took over the operation and decided he is done farming at 60yrs old...Don't blame him one bit,tough life as you know.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Was watching a Nat Geo special on Chile last nite...were showing the various Hbirds they have down there. (About the same as here) Interesting as heck, said their hearts beat upwards of 1,000 times a minute, and when collecting nectar, their tongues dart in and out 15-20 times a second. That's faster then Glenn's licking the sauce off a Lotsa Slopsa pizza.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Very few hummer's in my neighborhood for some reason,I'm facinated by them,have a good friend who is a ornitholigist at the UofM... very interesting but dry fellow,great stories and travels collecting different bird species from around the world for his grad students to study.

One interesting expedition brought him to south America to collect hummingbirds,he also is head keeper of the bird museum at the U,spent hours walking through this museum,they even have a passenger pidgeon mounted on display,been extinct since the early 1900's very interesting to check out iffin one has time.

Another expedtion he went to antartica to collect sea birds off a coast guard cutter.what a life.But that's another story.
« Last Edit: September 09/28/21, 08:52:58 AM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't see any hummingbirds this a.m. but will be stopping sometime after lunch to check on them. Certainly wasn't the circus it was a few weeks ago when I was watching yesterday.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Day ran long so just got home. Was just about to type I hadn't seen any when one appeared on the nectar feeder!  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Day ran long so just got home. Was just about to type I hadn't seen any when one appeared on the nectar feeder!  :happy1:
I claim  :bs::rotflmao: it's a spot on your spectacles or the gin. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :sleazy: :mooning:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :moon: :moon: :moon: They make this thing called next day air, ya know... :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:moon: :moon: :moon: They make this thing called next day air, ya know... :rotflmao:
:sleazy: :snow5: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: