Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muzzle loader question  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
For all you experts on muzzle loaders. I decided to buy an muzzy. It is a CVA optima and I sighted in with a 100 grains of pelletized powder and a 270 grain powerbelt. The gun is a magnum and can take 150 grains of powder. My question is how many of you use the full 150 grains of powder? What do you shoot for powder and bullet in your inline muzzy? Thanks.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have the same gun. I tell ya what... you put the 150 in, and it kicks like a mule!

I bought the magnum with the intent to elk hunt with it.

All these guns seem to shoot different. I'm down to a 250 grain bullet cause the 270 patterns like crap... But, my son can shoot 270's out of his Wolf, and they pattern fine.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a traditional T/C hawkin and what I did was play with powder loads....  kept using different amounts of powder until I got a good pattern..  hope this helps...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
absolutley no need for 3 pellets, ya might awell take a sledge in the arm evertime ya shoot it. pluse a 3rd more umph out the barrel the accuracy will demish alot untill you find a heavier bullute that can take tha power. try startin with 2 pellets and 250 shock waves. and see wher that gets ya.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
What I sighted in with on Sunday was two triple 7 pellets and a 270 grain powerbelt aerolite bullet. It patterned nicely for me and I have it zeroed at 100 yards. Reason I was asking is some others were telling me to go to 3 pellets but I wasn't seeing the need. That is why I asked all you fellers. I will be sticking with what I am set up with. thanks.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree with Boar and Jerkbiat  -- Two pellets (100 gr) is probably better for accuracy.  I know others who couldn't get the gun sighted in using 3 pellets.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Now heres a interesting theory, I believe ML are like a cast iron frying pan,  the picture I postyed of the target was with my TC omega. most accurate ML they made, I believe at the time.  that was open sites 100 yards,  ya know dange well at that distance the front site is covering the target, now I took my other TC Omega which is relatively new to me for the past 2 years, put a redfield variable 9x scope on it, and cnt seem to get a group smaller than a soft ball, but my older one I can clover leaf with it open sites. my older one has had 100'rds of rounds shot thru it at the range, and I contribute the accuracy to this... A seasoned barrel, much like a cast iron frying pan. they have whats called Bore butter to help seat the bullet an season the barrel, No I totally swab, brush and clean my bearrel after every range time but the run a pad of bore butter thru when storing and the gets burnt out when I take it out for the season. I have a tendency to believe, very similar like a 22. cal rifle... let the barrel season.
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Have you by chance tried shooting it without the scope to make sure it is not the scope? Maybe that is the culprit.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
very good point jb,Come to think of it, I didn't put lock tight on the ring screws, hmmmm thanks for the heads up
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I like reading David E Petzal at Field and Stream.  Among the many things I've gleaned from his writings is that no two rifles are the same.  I don't reload, so I don't get a all worked up about sub-MOA accuracy.  If I can shoot minute-of-whitetail at 100 yards, I'm happy.

I guess my point is that I'm not surprised that you have two Omega rifle's that shoot different.  When you read Petzal he is often perplexed by these realities, but he has come to accept the variances, works up a load for each rifle, and he sticks with it.  For example he has seen rifles that don't achieve maximum accuracy unless they are fired with fouled bore.  Others, it is the opposite.  I admire the folks that have the knowledge and skill and go through the effort of working up hand loads for their guns.

I have a TC Greyhawk that I dittle with, but so far haven't used for hunting.  Before I knew how much I didn't know I shot my muzzie with max powder - 110 grains.  It sprayed bullets all over.  Not knowing anything else I tried those new, fangled copper sabot bullets.  Same results.  Some time after I bought the gun they invented the internet and I did some research.  Long story short - I was able to achieve minute-of-whitetail by shooting conical lead maxi-hunter slugs using between 70 and 80 grains of pyrodex.  Sometimes less is more.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is what I was trying to say in my earlier post, well said Steve-o...

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good input, and i agree totaly every ML has its ow personalitie,  after season ill be looking at some factors, and more importantly loads and bullets, the one difference between the 2 guns is one is stainless and the other blued, the blued is the more accurate one
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
good input, and i agree totaly every ML has its ow personalitie,  after season ill be looking at some factors, and more importantly loads and bullets, the one difference between the 2 guns is one is stainless and the other blued, the blued is the more accurate one
:scratch: :scratch: not sure why?????? you get most your deer laying on the side of the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
glenn ive asked yu before, when adults are discussing matters, its better to keep yur mouth shut, and appear that yu know nuthing, than open yur mouth and remove all doubt.
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
glenn ive asked yu before, when adults are discussing matters, its better to keep yur mouth shut, and appear that yu know nuthing, than open yur mouth and remove all doubt.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :tut: :tut: this coming from the grand master!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :smoking:

come to think of it.........how can this be considered an adult conversation when your part of it???????? :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

morning buddy!!!!!!!!!!! :rocker;
« Last Edit: November 11/29/17, 09:06:12 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Boy. boys, boys.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah i knkw glenn totaly ruined this post again :rotflmao:
78.50"