Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 287579 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While I was home & talking on the phone a few minutes ago, there was a male bluebird in the maple tree that kept looking in the window. Was there 5 - 10 minutes. It flew off then came back & did the same thing. Looked cold. No surprise. Cloudy, 33 degrees, changing from rain to sleet to snow then back to rain again. Nothing warm about it.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :doah: BLUEBIRD???  You at the boodles already?? :confused: :surrender: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
plenty of junco's and a bunch of small brown birds with white on wings and tail feathers,the size of fenches? robins and mourning doves left,cardinals and jay's are hoarding the feeders.
I have read that bluejays stash thousands of food items in the fall, and are able to, unlike me, remember where they put them.   

They certainly have been hitting the sunflower seeds recently.     

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
plenty of junco's and a bunch of small brown birds with white on wings and tail feathers,the size of fenches? robins and mourning doves left,cardinals and jay's are hoarding the feeders.
I have read that bluejays stash thousands of food items in the fall, and are able to, unlike me, remember where they put them.   

They certainly have been hitting the sunflower seeds recently.   
i can agree with that Del. there are a couple around here busy as a beaver. up at the cabin there where 8 to 10 at the feeders all day long and going to town.

same with the chimpmunks, funny as a get out to watch them. there cheecks are packed so full of food its a wonder they could get any more in there.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Red-bellies stash things too apparently. Watched one take kernel after kernel of corn one day and tuck it away in a tree trunk. The squirrels must've taken note because they were helping themselves to it the next day.  :doah: Out of sunflower so need to restock. Blowing thru ear corn & suet like it's mid-January already.  :scratch:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/20, 03:07:27 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Think I figured out why I still have so many robins here. My good neighbor  :smiley: had a couple of those ash trees vi think that gave them reddish/ orange berries on them.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Between squirrels and birds I am going through sunflower seeds faster than ever this fall.  Mayhaps that is an omen!

Online delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have squirrel repellent by the back garage door....   :angry2:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well it looks like all the robins headed south and just some of the year round birds are still here. Haven't seen the juncos either.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still some robins yet today but nothing like Sunday when there were a dozen that just descended out of nowhere on one crabapple tree. Lots of juncos this a.m. No ostriches or emus however... :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We saw a robin Tuesday up here.  Also today saw an Evening Grosbeak at our feeder today.  I just read in the Outdoor News about the smaller red breasted Nuthatches moving south due to lack of food in Canada.  We see them pretty regular here.  My neighbor had eagles build a nest in his trees about 6 years ago. A couple of years after that another family of eagles built a nest in his trees.  They land in our pasture and take horse hay to their nests.  Cool to see.  We have some real tall pine trees on our property and eagles land in them once in a while.  I took a walk to the river with Buddy a little while ago and an eagle was sitting in the tree.  They may be going to build a nest there.  Two of them have been landing in the tree pretty often lately.   :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/29/20, 11:55:40 AM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, you guys ever get any of those evening grosbeaks  or... Grrrr can't think of the name now. :angry2: one type of bird is yellow, the other is red. They also come down from Canada in the winter due to lack of food. We used to have a pile of them at the cabin.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have seen a few red breasted nuthatches here but they're not regular. Maybe because I still don't have any sunflower seed out...  :scratch: Also figured out what one species migrating thru is: white-throated sparrows. They don't come out where we can see them. Hang in our windbreak and always sound like they're pissed. Heard them at Mom's too a few weekends ago. After dark when I tossed some lime slices into the weeds. It woke them up and they really were pissed!  :azn:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just edited my last bird thing Glenn. Evening Grosbeaks is what we have here today.  Some years there will be a flock of them hanging in our trees and they fill our feeder there are so many of them.  We do get Pine Grosbeaks too and sometimes they seem  to travel with the Evening Grosbeaks.  And yes we do get Rose breasted Grosbeaks sometimes too.  Had an immature male one hanging around here late this last summer.  Nice birds.  I hope they all keep the woodpeckers chased away from here.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep that's the one I was thinking about, the pine grosbeaks, there the red ones. Beautiful birds.  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
these are sorta in the back yard, got about 8 swans out on the lake... cool birds...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Several bluebirds passing thru at the ranch when I was home at lunch. Have not had any that nested there for a few years so may have to work on that starting with a bunch of cats. I see the Chinese place in Owatonna is back up and running.  :evil: Found my FF gift card stash too so may have to remedy the sunflower seed situation.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Like LPS we get the Pine Grosbeak too. Been a few years since we have seen the evenings at our feeder. Maybe this will be the year if LPS is seeing them.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just saw another robin too.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we have several swans and their signets out on the lake again today, fun to watch!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's something I've missed this year with the border being closed. Usually some swans on those puddles between Bemidji & I Falls.   :sad:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
That's something I've missed this year with the border being closed. Usually some swans on those puddles between Bemidji & I Falls.   :sad:

they are a fun bird to watch...  and I understand what you are saying... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The other day we had a flock of Evening Grosbeaks land in, on and around our feeder.  There were about 25 of them and they didn't all fit in the feeder.  Glad I had just filled it with sunflower seeds that morning.  Haven't seen them since.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Would be cool to see something like that!  :happy1: The daily customers here include chickadees, white breasted nuthatches, red-bellied woodpeckers, blue jays, juncos, downies, hairies and a pair of cardinals. Were a few house finches and goldfinches but they're erratic. Were a few robins yet a couple days ago and a red-winged blackbird this a.m. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a hoot today watching 3 gray squirrel and 2 black ones chasing each other around. The usual blue jays nut hatches Juncos and chickadees .

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a pic with about half of them here.  Sometimes the roof is full of them too. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
About 20 of the evening grosbeaks showed up at the cabin this morning. But man is the weather crappy here.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for sharing that nice pic Barry! Of course some of us *cough* glenn *cough* can't post pics so we just have to take their word for it... :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for sharing that nice pic Barry! Of course some of us *cough* glenn *cough* can't post pics so we just have to take their word for it... :doah:
:rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  I always thought the male Evening Grosbeak looked like the Michigan Wolverine helmets.