Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289663 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I've had some swans and geese flying over the house the last few weeks. Not every day but often enough. Haven't been pooped on yet. :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just got back into Bugtussle after feeding bottle lambs. No frost in the ground on the south facing slope south of the house. Rhubarb starting to break dormancy & about a dozen robins in the road ditch when I left. Rhubarb pie for Easter!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/04/21, 03:24:17 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My rhubarb is still covered with snow.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's still nicer there I bet... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It's still nicer there I bet... :rotflmao:
It's all that clean livin'.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
My rhubarb is still covered with snow.
My rhubarb died a year or so ago.   The replacement also died.     Try again this spring...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Del how the hell you kill rubarb??? :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You can do almost anything with those soused verde machines glenn!  :rotflmao: Not picking on you del; it is possible. I killed the first stuff that was already here when we bought the place. It was getting too shaded where they'd planted it so I transplanted it to an open spot with nice heavy black dirt that looked decent. That was during the drought of '88. It kinda sat there a few years then the wet year of '91 showed up and the spot I chose turned into a quagmire. Rhubarb doesn't have webbed feet apparently.  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: March 03/04/21, 04:23:59 PM by Dotch »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a mystery to me.  It was like it got some kind of root rot after growing there for 30 years.  Planted replacement in same spot.  Gotta find a new spot, that one is jinxed

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a mystery to me.  It was like it got some kind of root rot after growing there for 30 years.  Planted replacement in same spot.  Gotta find a new spot, that one is jinxed
guess it happens  :scratch: :scratch: i had planted winter onions in a spot i had a sand box for my kids when they were younger...then the wife insisted on rubarb, so i planted it there too and its keeps on spreading.  :doah: to the point i may dig out and toss the new shoot.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ours has been spreading too glenn. The newer plants are more vigorous and in an area where the soil fertility might be better based on the samples I pulled last fall. I know some of the things I've read suggest it be moved or divided from time to time. Some of the nicest patches locally though are those that have been there forever. Must've dumped bookoo amounts of manure in the hole when they planted it. Rhubarb is a fairly heavy user of fertilizer and I know some of ours was looking like it needed sheep manure worked in around it again. Some of it looks fine but while I'm at it might as well git' er done.  There is also a stalk borer that's been showing up in some of my customers patches coming from the curly dock plants, its normal host. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought a small $5 rhubarb bundle about 3 years ago.  Doesn't get much bigger.  I just dug a small hole in my yard.  Full sun and plunked it in thinking it would go wild.  I have some 10-10-10.  Should I put some of that around that Dotch?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought a small $5 rhubarb bundle about 3 years ago.  Doesn't get much bigger.  I just dug a small hole in my yard.  Full sun and plunked it in thinking it would go wild.  I have some 10-10-10.  Should I put some of that around that Dotch?
it sure wouldnt hurt....pretty much what i do......that and any other fertilizer. i also leave the leaves and other stuff lay there to rot away.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a bag I have had for years and want to just use it up.  Should be fine to till into the garden too I would think. Or is it better top put it around the plant so it doesn't touch it?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a bag I have had for years and want to just use it up.  Should be fine to till into the garden too I would think. Or is it better top put it around the plant so it doesn't touch it?
yea either throw it on the garden before you till it or around the plant. it will burn the leaves if it stays on the leaves. you can use it also as a lawn fertilizer...if you do such a thing.

but.........if you just put it around the plant do it right before it rains.......maybe dotch can elaborate more but i was told if you dont get it in the ground or it dont rain in 24 hours you lose alot of the nitrogen value??????

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great, I will get it used up.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good idea to let the leaves lay there. Recycles the nutrients. The leaves are toxic to livestock too. I tell the neighbors where we pasture that they can toss just about anything vegetative over the fence to the sheep they want except rhubarb leaves. As far as fertilizer, it certainly won't hurt. When it contains nitrogen, usually a good idea to work it in some. Just needs to be covered is all. If you get some on the leaves, good idea to wash it off. The leaf burn is generally cosmetic but the idea is to get the fertilizer, nitrogen or otherwise near the root system where the plant can best utilize it.

A couple decent releases on rhubarb. Had some commercial veggie production soil fertility sheets I misplaced somewhere. Might've mailed them to glenn!  :scratch:

https://local.extension.umn.edu/sites/local-extension.umn.edu/files/download/Rhubarb%20Brochure_1.pdf

https://extension.umn.edu/vegetables/growing-rhubarb

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just heard a killdeer...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
when i lived at home, we had the railroad tracks by the house. used to see alot of killdeer there.  couple days after i seen the owl in the neighbors tree  i could of swore i heard it hootin. well 3rd day in a row now.....i know im not hearing things!!!!! during the day too!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Interesting. Those collared doves sound sorta like an owl.  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen them yet either. We did have 6-8 purple finches at the feeder yesterday. :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Grackles this afternoon  :cool:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Pair of morning doves yesterday...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
red winged black birds and black birds are back!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw my first Robins yesterday.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen them yesterday too
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just thinking about that a couple of hours ago watching the rain...

Still waiting for my first robin.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Cardinals singing up a storm this morning signaling a beautiful sun filled sky day....

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday on the Ides of March I saw my first goose of the year.  Today I see a couple dozen on the Baudette River.