Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289676 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have had a brown thrasher here for a week or so but no catbirds yet.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a flicker the other day..  male cardinal too
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the reminder about the jelly.   got some sugar water out.  But an orange and some jelly  would be good. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had some pine siskins show up on the thistle seed feeders yesterday. Also heard the 1st house wren of the season in Bugtussle this a.m.

Talked to my brother down by Waterloo. He had 2 rose-breasted grosbeaks there this a.m.
« Last Edit: May 05/03/21, 11:40:41 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Had some pine siskins show up on the thistle seed feeders yesterday. Also heard the 1st house wren of the season in Bugtussle this a.m.

Talked to my brother down by Waterloo. He had 2 rose-breasted grosbeaks there this a.m.
He gets all the good birds. :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That's what I always tell him!  :bonk:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Not the back yard, but the other day I saw two bald eagles dogfighting over the Minnesota River.  I presume they were two males grappling with each other's talons over territory.

The kamikaze robin action has slowed somewhat.  We just get a few head bonks around 6:30 AM.  Otherwise starting to see male and female robins paired up and hopping around the yard looking for worms.

So there just must be a few young, narcissistic, lone males who can't resist their own reflection in the window.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought I heard an oriole before chores this a.m. Song was coming from the silver maple by the barn. The sheep were in an uproar awaiting their feed & after they were fed, heard or saw nothing.  :doah:

We had a robin doing the window thing briefly this spring. Mrs. Cheviot taped a chunk of newspaper on the inside of the sliding glass door. Noticed the issue was mostly on cloudy days. Ruby liked sleeping on the rug there when the sun was shining. That and when we'd hear the robin banging away we'd say "Squirrel!" which sent Ruby to the window to investigate. Must not have been as persistent as yours Steve-O.
« Last Edit: May 05/05/21, 10:25:40 AM by Dotch »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just saw an orchard oriole at the jelly feeder
« Last Edit: May 05/05/21, 02:00:35 PM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I sent one of my extra ones down there.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally saw a white-crowned sparrow so that completes the trifecta of white-throated, white-crowned & Harris's sparrows. They've been coming through our yard every spring for the past 20 years or so. No Baltimore orioles or hummers yet. No hummingbirds either... :scratch:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You usually get all the hummers.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I see one pair of geese hatched some little ones...  seen then just down at the neighbors place... 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Had an oriole feeder out, with clear sugar water....  Not seeing any thing.   then today there was something flew across the back yard that was sort of orange, in the like 2 seconds it took.   

So I went out and put half an orange by the feeder, fancy cara cara from Costco.   Ate the other half.   

No visitors so far.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Del, maybe that orange streak you seen was just some of that good Mary Jane you where token on. :rotflmao: :happy1:

Put out the oriole and hummingbird feeders this morning.  Grape jelly too!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
My Mom lives in Princeton and just seen their first oriole this morning.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Del, maybe that orange streak you seen was just some of that good Mary Jane you where token on. :rotflmao: :happy1:

Put out the oriole and hummingbird feeders this morning.  Grape jelly too!!!

Could have been...   Had a couple little brown jobs on the oriole feeder this morning.    Almost looked like wrens.   Then one went in the birdhouse granddaughter made me for christmas so hope they stick around.    Gonna rig up some sort of feeder thing for grape jelly today.     Used to put it in a dish on the deck rail but I think it was too close to the house.    So I'll come up with some redneck substitute. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen my barn swallows, tree swallows, whatever there called today whilst I was mowing the lawn. Took the locks off the door and didn't take long for them to check them out. :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got a hummer! Bird

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Both?  :scratch:

How long is this orchard oriole on loan for? At least he likes to beat on the house sparrows while he's here!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/07/21, 03:16:38 PM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You can have the oriole for the season. Now I need some indigo buntings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our tree swallows were here for one day and then left.   :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen some martens today..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Our tree swallows were here for one day and then left.   :confused:
mine are showing up sporadiclly too!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just saw a rose-breasted grosbeak here...& just like that a Baltimore oriole :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw a rose-breasted grosbeak here...& just like that a Baltimore oriole :happy1:
Roony is right........you get all the good birds!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday had some sort of woodpecker down in the grass pecking at the ground.   Black and white, like a Hairy but looked a little bigger, could have just been me though.  Not big enough for a pileated. 

I've seen flickers do that but never one of the black and white jobs.   Must have been some ants or something out there.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Put up a new double Shepard pole with a finch feeder and a hummingbird feeder for the warden's Mother's Day present. Took all of 10 minutes to have customers.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sweet! I got Mrs. Cheviot a potted red salvia with a few blooms opening & lots of buds on it. Hummingbirds should appreciate it if & when they show up. Too damn cold & windy to put it out today. The furnace just ran a few minutes ago!  :doah: