Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289616 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup save the grill Dotch!!!  I seen yesterday my robin that has a nest on the side of my garage in the vines is back!!  man she makes noise when I get to close!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

seen the pair of geese that had two little ones were down to one...  looking today I'm not sure they have that one yet???  my guess is a northern, bass or a snapping turtle maybe got them...  have to keep watch.... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Maybe Roony dropped off the racoon at your house. :doah: :rotflmao: he's a pretty sly feller???🤭🤭 :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
naw, he likes you better!!!   the oriole's are finally here too!!   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
naw, he likes you better!!!   the oriole's are finally here too!!   :happy1:
:tut:  :tut: :rotflmao: nobody likes me. :pouty: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
aw your mother does!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
aw your mother does!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:rotflmao: yea, that kinda depends. :pouty: :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just had a male Oriole land on our hummer feeder.  Beautiful bird.  We all love you Glenn. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Just seen an Oriole on the hummer feeder this morning at our house too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The neighbor said he had a hummer at his feeder yday mornin :happy1: :cool: so I'll be watchin ours pretty close the next few days.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Holy crap, there just be 20 yellow finches on the feeders out back  :happy1:  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Got done mowing and went out to start the frig in the camper.  I sat in a chair for a rest and to smell the flowers so to speak.  The dogs are wrastling for a stick.  Here this minature oriole bird is "flitting about".  (Rebs would have like that term)  I had to look it up and it is an American Redstart. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The Orioles are extra busy today. The warden is gonna have to get more grape jelly.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally had a couple hummers show up here in Cawchester... No orioles yet.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The Orioles are extra busy today. The warden is gonna have to get more grape jelly.

Tossed their first empty this a.m. Luckily I bought 2 a few weeks back. Once the catbird finds it it'll mean another trip sooner than later.  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had _ male orioles at the feeders a bit ago. :happy1: of course they all thought they were Dotch strutting there stuff like he was still in college.  :evil: :rotflmao: :moon:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I was more apt to be slithering along in the gutter. Remember, I had a '74 burnt orange Gremlin with big black hockey stick decals on the sides. I mean, how cool was that?  :shocked: I still recall my then girlfriend getting off work & coming over to one of our major league after finals parties. I was already passed out on the floor under a pile of dirty clothes in the bedroom & no one could find me. My roommate opened the door, turned on the light & I remember him telling her, "Well he's gotta be in here somewhere. He just just sorta blends in!" She was not amused.  :rotflmao:

Just saw an immature male orchard oriole at the jelly feeder. He had his back to me at 1st so it was a little tough to tell what he was until he turned around and revealed the dark black bib.  :happy1:

Finished mowing El Capitan w/o falling to my death & started relaxing with an adult beverage. Heard my 1st common yellowthroat of the season.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/15/21, 07:54:52 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just seen a green heron!!    :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Slither is a good word.  Like Rebs used to slither home from the NL.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Judging by the song coming from numerous locations around the yard, we have several wrens that are new arrivals. Cleaned out some of their usual birdhouses in anticipation this a.m. Also spied the catbird finally. It was doing its damndest not to be seen, flitting between clumps of leaves in the nannyberry bushes. Jelly consumption has really taken off. Go figure... :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't seen or heard wrens or bluebirds yet. :confused:

Roony must have them all. :pouty:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like wrens about as much as starlings and sparrows

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen 2 hummers chasing each other this morning. 1st sighting for us.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen some over the weekend!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:shocked: :shocked: them wrens are bug eating machines.....what's not to like Roony..........other then they like to make a lotta noise really early in the day!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen 2 hummers chasing each other this morning. 1st sighting for us.
None here yet, that I've seen. :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:shocked: :shocked: them wrens are bug eating machines.....what's not to like Roony..........other then they like to make a lotta noise really early in the day!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

I was thinking of that during chores this a.m. While they can be annoying the morning after a bomb session with the gin bottle, wrens are only here for about 5 months, & only noisy for a few of those. Sparrows & starlings are annoying year round, monopolizing bird feeders, making unwanted nests all over, pecking female bluebirds to death in nesting boxes, crapping on equipment in the barn, all this while merrily spreading various disease organisms as they go. If I could get Mr. Peabody to take me back in time with the Wayback machine, I'd find the clowns who introduced those trash birds and ask them, "WTF were you thinking?" :confused: 
« Last Edit: May 05/18/21, 10:56:16 AM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Of course I am exaggerating my distaste for house wrens but....
They have the bird version of little man syndrome. All birds are territorial but they take it to a new level attacking the eggs of more preferable species. They are mean and nasty little flockers. I could do without them.
Had a huge coon in the live trap when I got home from work at 4ish this morning. It will go to one of you wren lovers.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree roony, wrens can be real aggressive. I haven't noticed a problem with them messing with other birds nests here. Have read about their pecking their eggs in birdhouses however. That's why I try to keep the wrens supplied with plenty of houses with an inch diameter hole in the brushy areas. Sparrows, bluebirds and tree swallows won't use them. It keeps the competition down for the houses out in the open meant for tree swallows & bluebirds. I have had my belly full of male house sparrows pecking bluebirds & tree swallows to death.

Something I read once about wrens was that if you put wren houses on or in the vicinity of the barn, their territorial nature will help keep the sparrows out. The present group of cats I have appears to be doing a pretty good job of that. Altho I wouldn't miss them tho if the wren trick worked & something would happen to them... :whistling:     

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Not a top notch photo but here's my redhead. As you might notice, I have a "bee friendly" lawn......and I like it
« Last Edit: May 05/18/21, 04:03:14 PM by roony »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great!  I would love to see one of them.  Nice looking bird.