Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289491 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The warden just sighted a scarlet tanager. It is rare for us to see one.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You get all the good birds... :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
In the last few days, wood ducks perched in the trees, a turkey today, a bluebird today. First hummingbirds after we put up window boxes with red geraniums.
A couple of non-birds—a turtle the size of a dime and a big healthy coyote.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Out on the drive lookin at the lake, havin a little HH & what stops by but our 1st hummer.  :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Out on the drive lookin at the lake, havin a little HH & what stops by but our 1st hummer.  :cool:
:happy1: good thing it was just a little HH, or you mighta seen 6.🤪😂😂😂 :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/18/21, 08:42:18 PM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Little? :tequila; :tequila; :tequila;                             :confused:                                ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Not a top notch photo but here's my redhead. As you might notice, I have a "bee friendly" lawn......and I like it
We used to have a pair of them for 5-6 years. They would bring their babies to the feeder. Haven't seen them now for 2-3 years. Not sure what happened to them. Man did they like the oranges. They would rap on the top of the bird feeder in the morning to let me know they needed their orange. Miss seeing them.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ok, i give up.......what kind of bird is it???????//

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
It is a red headed wood pecker. I thought Roony said that in his post.  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It is a red headed wood pecker. I thought Roony said that in his post.  :scratch:
:scratch: he said redhead.....i thought, well........awe never mind.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea cool picture!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok. I see, you must have just been looking at the go fishing thread again.  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok. I see, you must have just been looking at the go fishing thread again.  :rotflmao:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Any of you bird guru's have a fix for a little devil woodpecker of some sort tearing up my cedar post on my pole barn over hang,small white chested black checkered back and a small red patch behind the head ,larger than a nutt hatch between him and a red squrriel they're making a mess outof the exposed cedar 4x4 post,tried using boiled linseed oil,but me thinks it made things worse,kinda like gravy on meat.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Bullet?? :scratch: :rotflmao: iffin ya can hit it.  :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like you've got a downy that's convinced there's insect activity he (red patch=male) needs to check out. They've been dicking around with the white cedar railing on our porch too. Not sure what might work to deter them tho. Some say shiny objects, remove dead limbs, etc. that might attract them while others say attract them elsewhere which in my case is pretty tough to do. I may have to fill the suet feeder again if they don't knock it off. They were after it until I let the feeder run empty then went after my railings more. I usually stop feeding suet when the temps warm up.   
« Last Edit: May 05/19/21, 10:12:19 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah the little booger is also enlarging the screw holes on my deck.also cedar as the screws are sub surface,he must think each hole is bugs,also noticed my norway pines are infected with tiny worm holes,some area of tree bark looks like a cribbage board,I've read to water the tree's so they can produce more sapp to protect themselves,haven't seen the critters making the holes yet so not sure if its worm or insects,after living in colorado for years and the damage pine beetle do up in the mountains  I was concerned.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, I think you really do know what the only solution to both of those problems, don't you?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:  So do we just don't tell anyone.  It is illegal to shoot woodpeckers.  :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just put a picture of boar up  :pouty: that'll scare anything away. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, :happy1: thought has crossed my mind,after last summer wilst on furlough  for 3 months I cleaned out the neighborhood gray and red squrriel colony,.22 quiet load ammo is on short supply these days so I gooberd up the cedar 4x4's where all the activity is taking place with boiled linseed oil to slow these critter's down then sprayed the bird feeder pole down with wd40 as another crop of surriels moved in,so any of you guyz that stumble across some .22 long rifle in partion quiet loads let me know,also on the lookout for winchester AA  12ga super sport in 1oz #8 shot.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
177 pellets available

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother who is one heck of a hunter got a pellet gun recently.  Cost $800 I think.  I haven't seen it yet.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
177 pellets available

True Del,however .22 quiet loads makes less noise than my  .177 pellet gun made  before I gave it away,besides I get woodchucks every so often and the pellet gun just made them limp,some kill shots are 50yds and beyond so,need the Hp to roll em over

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
was watching a king fisher this morning...  seen some kill deere yesterday too
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen our first grosbeak in da feeder last night.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen our first grosbeak in da feeder last night.
man. i'm jealous!!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
has anyone else seen any wrens, or bluebirds???  :scratch: i have not???? my tree/barn swallows appeared to have also bailed out!!!! :doah:

thinking i might just yank my mealworm feeder iffin i dont see a bluebird soon!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
house wrens at my place recently,couple black birds staking claim in the creek bullrushes,grackles pissing off the robins for territory,seen my first oriole two days ago and one blue bird,pulled my meal worms as the robins found them and made pigs of themselves,hummingbird feeder's going out this weekend,might pickup some store bought nector flowers to help attract the hummers as well.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa wrens. Altho they like roony's place better... :rotflmao: No bluebirds yet tho. Have had difficulty attracting them consistently at the ranch. Haven't been to the kindly neighbor's pasture recently. Usually have at least one there. Tree swallows use one house every year by the wetland but they haven't occupied a couple others closer to the building like normal do so maybe the bluebirds will. Finnners crossed... :huh: Hummingbirds have found the planters and the nectar feeder. May put another one out.   

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Had some bluebirds and tree swallows but the wrens kilt all of em.