Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298434 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
another sign of spring, the pelicans are back now...
shootz 'em!!! :confused: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

so Glenn is it true they taste like chicken???   people want to know!!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

so Glenn is it true they taste like chicken???   people want to know!!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:
naw, more along the lines of a bald eagle!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw two wood ducks yesterday.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
To me the damn fish eatin' pelicans taste a lot like cormorants only they got more meat on them and ypu get a huge bill.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Locals tell me they taste like a cross between a bald eagle and a loon...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
To me the damn fish eatin' pelicans taste a lot like cormorants only they got more meat on them and ypu get a huge bill.
dats to scoop yer soup with!!   :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
You should see 'em over at Mosomo Pt/Little Cutfoot when the walleyes are runnin & the DNR is taking spawn over there. :rolleyes: There must be at least 50, maybe more most years. Had 1 DNR worker tell me they have to have someone stay out there, they usually have a small trailer house with their set up, or the pens would be empty every morning. :crazy: :pouty: :doah:
« Last Edit: April 04/23/22, 09:18:05 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You should see 'em over at Mosomo Pt/Little Cutfoot when the walleyes are runnin & the DNR is taking spawn over there. :rolleyes: There must be at least 50, maybe more most years. Had 1 DNR worker tell me they have to have someone stay out there, they usually have a small trailer house with their set up, or the pens would be empty every morning. :crazy: :pouty: :doah:
shootz'em!!!!!!!! :Hunter: :fudd: :fudd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Hoosegow??? :evil:          ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Hoosegow??? :evil:          ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:pouty: :pouty: dont kiss and tell!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :nerd: :nerd: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
heard a loon when I was checking on the ribs in the smoker!!!   sweet!!!   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
heard a loon when I was checking on the ribs in the smoker!!!   sweet!!!   :happy1:
:scratch: is boar in the neighborhood????  :scratch: :doah: he's a bit loony!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first barn swallow of the season in the main barn tonite. Can the wrens with their melodious soundtrack for summer be far behind?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/23/22, 05:39:08 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first barn swallow of the season in the main barn tonite. Can the wrens with their melodious soundtrack for summer be far behind?  :scratch:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I'll bet ole Roony is on the lookout!!  :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother is big into Martins and has beautiful houses for them.  He said the first ones showed up on Friday in the Ottertail area.  Tree swallows which are kind of our favorites he saw on Saturday.  SO they should be here in a few days.  I wonder when the Bluebirds will show up.  We enjoyed the one that nested right by the deck in a house we put up years ago. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother is big into Martins and has beautiful houses for them.  He said the first ones showed up on Friday in the Ottertail area.  Tree swallows which are kind of our favorites he saw on Saturday.  SO they should be here in a few days.  I wonder when the Bluebirds will show up.  We enjoyed the one that nested right by the deck in a house we put up years ago.
glad to hear you had a bluebird!!! :happy1: last year during there spring trip back they ran into some serious bad weather and alot of them didnt make it. we never had any last summer!!!! :confused:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Wrens killed all the baby bluebirds here last year. :>(

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
For Roony it's the wrens. For me it is the grackles. I hate them dang things and they just showed up at the feeder this morning.  :angry2: They will have the feeder empty by tomorrow night. And that sunflower seed is expensive.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Starlings and house sparrows are my main enemies. The dummies who decided it was a good idea to turn them loose in the US back in the 1800's should've been shot. Sunflower seed has really increased in price. A short crop last year and increased demand have made for record prices. 

More barn swallows here this a.m. Not sure what they'll do for food the next several days with the cooler temps. Won't be a lot of flying insects around.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
For Roony it's the wrens. For me it is the grackles. I hate them dang things and they just showed up at the feeder this morning.  :angry2: They will have the feeder empty by tomorrow night. And that sunflower seed is expensive.
shootz'em!!!!!!!! :Hunter: :fudd: :fudd: :green archer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so...with this goofy weather when do ya'all think the hummers will be back????? :doah: in a normal year i usually put the oriole feeder and hummer feeders out around mothers day/fishing opener?????

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
watching the lake this morning there is a bog, about 5 or 6 foot across, floating with the wind and ice..  well for the last couple hours a pelican has taken up residence on it...  kinda fun watching it and how the ice has changed so much in the last 4 hours, along with all the different ducks out there too!!!!   :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
finally a blue heron on the lake!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first pelicans yesterday evening but no herons yet.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Whilst changing the lure in the black cutworm trap tonite, saw & heard my first brown thrasher of the season. This as opposed to the red-breasted bed thrashers glenn and gunner commonly encounter in Inger! 🤭
« Last Edit: April 04/28/22, 05:37:51 PM by Dotch »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of red-breasted thrashers...

The robins are getting frisky in the back yard this morning.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought I heard a white-throated sparrow on my journey out to the cutworm trap this a.m. About time for them to start moving thru. Couldn't see it tho & really didn't have time to go look for it. That's been the one downside to having planted all this habitat stuff. The birds are more scattered now, not just in the back yard where they're easier to see.  :doah:

Watched a young fox squirrel tangle with the roller feeder at lunchtime. Got dumped off twice. Served him right. Was fishing thru the fridge & came across a bag that I couldn't remember putting in there. It was a couple jars of jelly a nice elderly column reader had given me. She found 'em in her fridge & was gonna toss them. Then she recalled I liked feeding jelly to the orioles. Another week or so and they could be here. I need to replace the nectar feeder they share with the hummingbirds too before time slips away. Wife got me a new hummingbird feeder, same as the old one. Can salvage the parts off the old one in case the squirrels chew it up.
« Last Edit: April 04/29/22, 02:19:08 PM by Dotch »

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of red-breasted thrashers...

The robins are getting frisky in the back yard this morning.

Yep, we’ve had a lovelorn male throwing himself against his reflection in the window the last couple days.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is really something that so many of youse guys have had that happen.  I never have.  That is a big bird hitting a window.