Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 305350 times)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like it.  They don't give out as many hunting permits as they used to.
Nope. Takes 5 years to draw up here now. We had a bear in the yard Sunday night. Seen him on the camera. Walked right over to the bird feeder. Still surprised he left it alone.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
No bears here... yet! Put feeders out Thursday when I got Herr, within 5 minutes had Orioles going goofy. Seeing some hummers and a pair of red breasted grosebeak. Driving into the cabin had a scarlet tanager. Haven't seen it since. :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dragonflies are out!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
As we sat on the deck last night the wife got bit by a mosquito. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a skeet land on my hand this morning early, never got bit though.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They come out here after dark now. Aggressive altho not thick yet like in Canada ~ mid-July. Been hearing them but hadn't seen a toad until this morning. Great big one down by the barn. Guessing it might be one that hangs out down there to cash in on the flies.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the Minnesota bird!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
two orioles here at the hummer feeders.   :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, the Orioles are busy her this morning too.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While filling birdfeeders, I see the wrens are building a nest in the cheapy gas grill I rarely use. WWRD?  :scratch: :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw a pair of Red Headed Woodpeckers just now. They must be nesting here someplace. Hope the wrens don't get them.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It never fails to amaze me how perceptive birds are. They notice the new grape jelly and other feed almost as soon as you put it out. Their eyesight is incredible.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still have one junco that must not have got the memo. When they fly, they have the distinctive white border on both sides of the tail. Noticed it yesterday & got close enough to positively ID it this a.m.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummingbirds are bat sh!t crazy up here. Haven't seen the Orioles for a few days,  :pouty: don't have a feeder to accommodate them.  Have 3 pair of red breastfed grosbeaks.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The Humming birds were crazy up on Bowstring this weekend too. Almost hit my buddy in the head a couple times while sitting on the deck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty crazy,  I mean lime there's like 5 hummingbirds feeders out,  doing up the dishes I had 7 hoovering around the same one! :crazy: :rotflmao:

Kinda like Gunner55 and  John at Inger !! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :surrender: :rotflmao:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well you don't want to be last  :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good friggin gawd... :confused: :crazy: the hummingbirds are crazy up here.. 5 feeders out and I'm filling at leastv1 a day.    :doofus:  it's like the first of the  month at the welfare line! :shocked:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :cry:          :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have an oriole going at it on our suet cake.  Must need more grape jelly. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I need to refill the hummingbird feeder again. When the wind whips off of the lake it shakes it empty. And put out more jelly.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got a hen turkey that has been pecking away under the feeders. I threw an ear of corn there and she really goes after that!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Stumbled across 40# of black oil sunflower for $14.99 at FF yesterday. Cardinal has been singing his heart out every day so didn't want to run out. Orioles can sing but nothin' like this dude.
« Last Edit: June 06/04/24, 11:01:31 AM by Dotch »

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Had a bird about the size of the orioles but it was brown/grey body and had a crimson colored head. The female had a darker color and the head seemed black almost, didn't get a real good look at them. Can't recall seeing them before and they were on the jelly feeder. Anyone have an idea what it might have been?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Could they be cowbirds?  We had a wren sitting on the new deck addition railing the other day.  Was thinking of you Roony.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  It may have a nest in the pellet heater exhaust tube again.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking possibly cowbird too Barry. Sometimes the way the light catches their feathers, especially on a sunny day, they look different.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just had what I think was a dingy looking female oriole just going to town on the suet feeder.  Hung around for a few minutes too.  I don't think I have ever seen an oriole on it before.  ???

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got another look at it yesterday, I think it was just a house finch. I dismissed the idea of it being one since I thought it was to dark of red.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen the first baby robins this morning!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the neighbors must've had a good hatch of house sparrows, again. A-holes brought their young & are monopolizing the sunflower & jelly feeders. Usually let the one sunflower feeder they really like to run out. They seem to go elsewhere for a while anyway. Need to get my sparrow trap operational & see if we can thin the herd.