Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sweet corn  (Read 7866 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
has anyone run into any sweet corn recently thats any good???? been hankerin for some good ole corn on the cob lately. i know its too early for local corn............but!!!!!! besides i'm getting desperately low in the freezer too!!!!!

i really like that bi-colored corn!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:  You live in the corn state, and don't eat local??!  :tut: :tut:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:  You live in the corn state, and don't eat local??!  :tut: :tut:
:pouty: :pouty: most normal people would assume by me mentioning "local " corn would know i prefer to get local corn~ :pouty: :pouty:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
has anyone run into any sweet corn recently thats any good???? been hankerin for some good ole corn on the cob lately. i know its too early for local corn............but!!!!!! besides i'm getting desperately low in the freezer too!!!!!

NO We tried 2 ears from cub not good not bad just mediocre! I am thinkin of calling Larry Larson and see how their crop is commin.They are the big producer around here.I did find a farmers market couple last year that grew the best I have ever had kernals fully developed on the whole ear from end to tip and sweet as me!!!! 50 cents a ear but well worth it!! Sat we'll be at the market I'll be askin around.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

and sweet as me!!!!

taste like vinegar??????????????????

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Heading out that away Friday glenn, but I'm sure I'll have to wait on giving GPS coordinates to the fields I see since last weekend were only waist high.  Where I met up with dew2 earlier they usually get there's from Georgia this time of year not bad but better than a grocery store.
« Last Edit: July 07/03/18, 03:53:01 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Stop in Walmart! They get theirs from the gator chasers in Florida!    ;)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
They were just uncratin theirs at WW in GR yday 'bout 10:00
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
[quote author=Bobberineyes link=topic=37175. have corn in their stand I'll try to remember to notify you an 57e I'll have to wait on giving GPS coordinates to the fields I see since last weekend were only waist high.  Where I met up with dew2 earlier they usually get there's from Georgia this time of year not bad but better than a grocery store.[/quote]

We do buy a few water mellons from that stand Bobber only the Black Diamonds.This year we're growing our own.and Yah their corn is good but the local makes it look pretty bad BUT till locAL comes out it is a go to.When the people who we bought from last year have their corn in their stand at the farmers market I'll try to remember to notify you an 57 its there.MAN ITS BEST I EVER SEEN!!
« Last Edit: July 07/04/18, 03:05:19 PM by dew2 »

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
[quote author=Bobberineyes link=topic=37175. have corn in their stand I'll try to remember to notify you an 57e I'll have to wait on giving GPS coordinates to the fields I see since last weekend were only waist high.  Where I met up with dew2 earlier they usually get there's from Georgia this time of year not bad but better than a grocery store.

We do buy a few water mellons from that stand Bobber only the Black Diamonds.This year we're growing our own.and Yah their corn is good but the local makes it look pretty bad BUT till locAL comes out it is a go to.When the people who we bought from last year have their corn in their stand at the farmers market I'll try to remember to notify you an 57 its there.MAN ITS BEST I EVER SEEN!!
[/quote] We appreciate that dew2!! There's an honor system at an approach fairly close to us where a local farmer stocks it up daily, we usually hit it a few times. We are honest but that's a lot of trust in people now a days..

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Every year byerlies has fresh sweet corn called "candy corn" small sweet white kerrnals,damn good.

Then we hit the local farmer's corner when he starts picking,with all the rain this this spring he should have a banner crop,as of yesterday the corn was chest high instead of knee high bye 4th of july.
« Last Edit: July 07/05/18, 01:30:19 PM by snow1 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So many roadside stands down here in corn country advertising "candy corn", ya never know what yer gonna get anymore. It is bi-color, but seems to be so many varieties of it, had good and bad "candy corn". Some of it has really small kernels. One I like best is "Peaches and cream"....that stuff is great. Another bi-color. Best places are those those loaded farm pickup trucks that pull into a spot in early am, and the corn is still damp and cool from the field.
I remember years ago the staple was "Jubilee", which is good. Lots of farmers down here used to grow that for the Libby's plant we have in town. When we were teen-agers, we knew which fields were growing Jubilee, and often mysterious nite critters would strip 10-20 ears off some stalks... :whistling:
« Last Edit: July 07/05/18, 10:57:40 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So many roadside stands down here in corn country advertising "candy corn" , ya never know what yer gonna get anymore. It is bi-color, but seems to be so many varieties of it, had good and bad "candy corn". Some of it has really small kernels. One I like best is "Peaches and cream"....that stuff is great. Another bi-color. I remember years ago the staple was "Jubilee", which is good. Lots of farmers down here used to grow that for the Libby's plant we have in town. When we were teen-agers, we knew which fields were growing Jubilee, and mysterious nite critters would often strip 10-20 ears off some stalks... :whistling:
:tut: :tut: naughty.........naughty. :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: in my younger days we borrowed turkeys from.............

yea that peaches and cream corn is top of da line stuff. i like finding that to put in da freezer for da winter!!!!!!!! i dont get it, my wife eats the crap outta can, eats corn off the cob, but wont eat it when i freeze it. she eats frozen corn from the store. :doofus: :doofus: :confused: man some days i'd like to........... training-087 training-087 :banghead: :sorry: :oops1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i mean  :hubba: :hubba: :sleazy: :sleazy: :smoking:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ayup... training-087      :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
All the talk about carn.... I stopped by Cub and got 6 ears.
I'm not picky, as long as it's not over ripe.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya gotta ask yerself one thing.... "ya think da toilet can tell the difference " .   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya gotta ask yerself one thing.... "ya think da toilet can tell the difference " .   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

so very true!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I dunno but da last time da guy pumped the septic tank he told me I need ta chew my corn better!  :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I dunno but da last time da guy pumped the septic tank he told me I need ta chew my corn better!  :bonk:
:confused: :doofus: :pouty: :puke: TMI!!! :tut:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
An fer Dotch todays nugget of information is in this link>>>>>https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13212952/poop-healthy-normal-color-food-shape-disease

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And there goes Dotch after the corn and Boodles!  :shocked:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And there goes Dotch after the corn and Boodles!  :shocked:

Have shop towels will travel... :happy1:

Remember kids, a fartin' horse never tires, a fartin' man's the man to hire!  :azn:
« Last Edit: July 07/06/18, 02:52:33 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
learned that in college did ya???????????????? :doah: :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Think some union guy who was always on break while I was working told me.  ;) Hesh up or me and my little red spreader will visit you sometime under the cover of darkness!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Think some union guy who was always on break while I was working told me.  ;) Hesh up or me and my little red spreader will visit you sometime under the cover of darkness!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Can I engage the PTO?  :evil:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Can I engage the PTO?  :evil:
you can just keep your no good trouble making hind end right down there in swampville!! :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Goodness!  :shocked:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of them Studebaker's around our family, & mom's, back in the late 50's & 60's. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon