Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: plastics  (Read 4705 times)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
What plastics are your favorites?
Starting about a million years ago I have used to use a tiny fireball jig-n-minnow with very consistent success. This bait almost always out fished live bait. They are no longer made and my supply is finally depleted, what should I go to next?
Thanks in advance

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Depends on the fish, but my all time panfish favorite is a chartreuse 1/16 oz Mr. Twister....if you want a minnow type like the Fireball, I've used a plastic Berkeley Gulp! or Powerbait  minnow bodies on whatever hook you like. I think they still make 'em....I've got a whole bunch of 'em. I think. Willing to send 'em to ya if ya want 'em.

https://www.scheels.com/p/powerbait-power-minnow/02863218780.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyJiXxu3u4QIVDcZkCh2tJAy6EAQYBCABEgLh9PD_BwE
« Last Edit: April 04/26/19, 06:19:50 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Roony I like the gulp. A buddy gave me a container of 3 inch plastic looking leeches. For panfish I just cut off a chunk and works great.

Summer months I way prefer flu flu type jigs.
« Last Edit: April 04/26/19, 09:25:45 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
northlqnd mimic minnow ar dynomite
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't use a lot of plastics but when I do I prefer the boot tail shad type bodies like Boar mentioned above. For pannies I use a lot of  Lit'l Hustler tubes or Lindy Little Nipper jigs.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Tried the gulp alive minnow, I was favorably impressed.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We used some of that on a fishing trip to Alex area a few years back. Would concur at least on the panfish we were after.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't use a lot of plastics but when I do I prefer the boot tail shad type bodies like Boar mentioned above. For pannies I use a lot of  Lit'l Hustler tubes or Lindy Little Nipper jigs.

Red and white tubes with a chartreuse head for pannies.  It consistently out-fished every other color combo in the boat.

If we ran out of red/white tubes, gulp minnows were my next choice.
« Last Edit: May 05/17/19, 03:13:24 PM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fishing on the Rainy a few years ago with 2 buddies we each used our preferred baits.  We didn't plan this it just happened.  Carl likes using plastics on a jig head, Doug used live minnows on a jig, I used frozen shiners on a jig.  We fished hard all day.  First Carl go hot and was catching them all.  Then Doug got hot and was catching them.  Finally I started catching them with my frozen shiners.  It was pretty interesting.  The live bait and frozen shiners took more rebaiting and messing around with them.  Carl's plastics were the less labor intensive of the three and I think he actually caught more fish. 

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I use the uncle bucks crappie minnow 2” for pretty much everything over the last 10 years. It out fishies just about everything I’ve ever used, live or any other artificial. It’s a must in any tackle box. You can use up to a 1/8oz jig head. The best color is the emerald green and silver. Try it you’ll be amazed. Ive caught all panfish, walleye, sauger, bass, crappie, catfish, carp, trout and pike on them. I get them online at bass pro shops.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/18/19, 09:16:08 AM by Coffee118 »
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, I may try that one Coffee.
I started using the fireball jig n minnow back in 1978. It was April 16th, my 22nd birthday and I was fishing from shore using crappie minnows and not catching much. Some little rug rats walked by and they were looking in my open tackle box. One of them pointed at the jig n minnow and said I should be fishing with that. I had gotten my great uncles tackle after he passed and that was in there. I had never used it.
Well, I dissed the little kid, but after they left I thought "what the heck" and tied it on. To my amazement I started catching crappies as soon as it hit the water, one right after another. It taught me a good fishing lesson.
I'm not sure what year Falls Bait Company went out of business but they had a winner with that product.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I checked on ebay, the last big lot of those were sold on April 13,2019 (that I could find)
« Last Edit: May 05/18/19, 11:35:02 AM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The ones I have seen on ebay have been a larger size than the ones I'm looking for. I ended up looking through a bunch of my old tackle boxes and I found some plastic bodies that I can use on a tiny jig. Honestly though, I am pretty impressed with the ratso's.
It seems like once you have developed confidence in a lure half the battle is won!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
crappietom has been on variuos forums that I've been on. he makes plastics and sent me some. they work amazing. I was once a real doubter fishing with plastics, but he kept egging me on so I finally tried it. it was a slow process to get convinced.

it depends on the lake I fish, but I still like to have real meat just in case, but I haven't used live bait for panfish in 5-6 years on the lake the cabin is on!!!1 winter or summer.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Roony, what length do you like to use?
I seen some shad ones on Amazon....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The ones I used were tiny, probably just less than an inch long.

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We throw little beetle spins a lot through out tge summer for crappies and sunnies,  might have to tip em off with one of those shad guys.. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We throw little beetle spins a lot through out tge summer for crappies and sunnies,  might have to tip em off with one of those shad guys.. :happy1:
or go to Teals in spicer!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to try some of the plastics mentioned above.  My fishing has cycled.  Started with all live baits, then moved to artificials mixed with live baits, and recently went back to live baits  mostly and plastics for some species.  I really like the Gulp live products for panfish.  Fish them with small plastics and flu flu's and sometimes even by themselves. good luck.

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
or go to Teals in spicer!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Speaking with experience??? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Only if I run otta breads crumbs.. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking with experience??? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Only if I run otta breads crumbs.. :happy1:
naw..I go to the one in cold spring!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: