Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Up The North Shore  (Read 3852 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yesterday we took a trip up the shore. No agenda, we make a few trips a year.
We went up to Grand Marais, (we wanted to see Artist Point) and worked our way back.
Every place that we stopped at was packed with tourists. Very little places to park.
Grand Marais had a bike race, Gooseberry Falls was packed, and Canal Park (we were going to eat lunch here) had Bob Dylan days going on.
I was planning on doing a little fishing, but every parking lot of the rivers was packed as well.
So, I didn't fish.

https://youtu.be/VJHSmrONri4

We had a nice drive, and stopped at Buffalo House for a great dinner and a couple beers.
I think this will be the last time I will ever go on a holiday weekend,
Oh, well, it was something to do....lots of sites to see, but a little to crowded for my liking.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/26/19, 09:27:02 AM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya the holliday's is a bad time for sure.  North Shore is very popular all summer long.   One place to fish off shore this time of the year is the breakwall in Two Harbors.  Lakers, rainbows, and coho salmon roam there.  Good place to bring a cooler along.  I was up there in early May and it wasn't busy at all.  Maybe next time try that.  Great time for looking at all the waterfalls and spots to fish.  Glad you made it up there.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup RH, we usually go early too when the steelhead are running. This spring has been a little messed up, and it only worked out for this weekend.

We did stop by at Russ Kenndalls for some smoked Trout & Salmon.
We were looking to get some Smelt, but they were sold out.  :sad:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya they do a great job on the smoked fish.  A friend of mine goes up smelting every year at Park Point beach.  Every year he sells them in 1 gallon bags for $25.  Sells out every time down here in the cities. He is Asian and sells all of them to mostly Asian's who will put up the cash for those tasty morsels.  I'm done with smelting although I have done it in the hay days back in the 70's and 80's.  fun times.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wish I would have gotten in on that.  Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Up here now on the lake.  2 cohos, a laker, a king so far.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I should have kept my mouth shut.  Fished for 5 more hours without a bite.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: aint that the way it usually goes!!!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: aint that the way it usually goes!!!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Been there! :doah: :bonk: :rolleyes: :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Were you trolling out on the lake or off shore Dakids??  good luck.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Were you trolling out on the lake or off shore Dakids??  good luck.

Trolling near park point.  On the mud lune.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a great spot.  Fished there many times over the years.  This time of the year they are still mostly near the surface and still in there for the smelt.  I also looked for the diving birds and the gulls that are in a big circle to pick up the parts of fish that the predators left for them.  When we see that we troll right through there a few times.  We used to beach our boats on the beach there near the wall and grill and make a fire.  Grill up fresh coho.  Man that was good.  My brother still takes me out there at times but he is sticking mostly to the inland lakes now.  If you ever want to fish the lakes there like Island, Rice, and Boulder let me know and I'll tell you what we have been doing there since the 60's.  good luck.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a great spot.  Fished there many times over the years.  This time of the year they are still mostly near the surface and still in there for the smelt.  I also looked for the diving birds and the gulls that are in a big circle to pick up the parts of fish that the predators left for them.  When we see that we troll right through there a few times.  We used to beach our boats on the beach there near the wall and grill and make a fire.  Grill up fresh coho.  Man that was good.  My brother still takes me out there at times but he is sticking mostly to the inland lakes now.  If you ever want to fish the lakes there like Island, Rice, and Boulder let me know and I'll tell you what we have been doing there since the 60's.  good luck.

I will keep it in mind.  They would be great options when we get blown off the big lake.
Thank you Sir.