Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Leeches  (Read 3878 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have a question about leeches for all you fishing guy's.

The last beaver that I dispatched down at the beaver dam had a  :censored: ton of leeches on it.
They were the really big leeches with the orange stripe down the side. Not the all black ones you buy at the bait store.

Are they good for fishing?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a question about leeches for all you fishing guy's.

The last beaver that I dispatched down at the beaver dam had a  :censored: ton of leeches on it.
They were the really big leeches with the orange stripe down the side. Not the all black ones you buy at the bait store.

Are they good for fishing?

From another site.
"Of the 50 or so species of leeches found in the United States, only Nephelopsis obscura, the ribbon leech, is commonly used as fish bait. The ribbon leech is not a blood sucker. In fact, most leeches don’t suck blood; they prey on aquatic worms and insect larvae or scavenge dead animal matter. Fish apparently know the difference too. Leech expert Phil Devore says that in side-by-side tests, fish will gobble up a ribbon leech and spit out a blood-sucking leech." 

You can take that from Leech~~  :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/02/19, 02:32:58 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What leech said! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow!  Who knew?
 :confused:
Leech, I guess.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
The black one's for me.  The real blood sucking one's do not interest fish at all.  So the one's you buy at the bait shop are the only one's you should use.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thanks Leech for the information!

So, just out of curiosity.....what are the predators for the leeches with the orange stripe?  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
One of the bait dealers I dealt with for over 34 years would sell all of the Blood Suckers they caught to shops in a certain area of Wisconsin, said they used them for Catfish.   :confused: :confused: :confused:
It puzzled me at first, but then remembered that many in that state wore a big cheese, or a braut beanie on their heads,  so I just shrugged it off!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
LOLOL  Those are the Packers Fans. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Leech for the information!

So, just out of curiosity.....what are the predators for the leeches with the orange stripe?  :scratch:

12 year old boys with a stick?  :confused:  Sounds like nothing. 

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Dem are da ones dat ya trow in da camp fire. :campfire: Foyst day swell up an den  POP! :happy1:

Caution..........
 :tut: Eyeware recomended when viewing at a close spot! :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/04/19, 10:36:40 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
Just curious to find if anyone on this forum can give me an answer:   :confused: :confused:
If Dave is short for David, and Mike is short for Michael, is Lee short for Leech????   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
OH YEAH BABEE!!!    :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :happy1:  Could be.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
lee is short for leek, as in leeky boat, i cant fish
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
lee is short for leek, as in leeky boat, i cant fish
Hell, at his age he probably can't take a leek! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just curious to find if anyone on this forum can give me an answer:   :confused: :confused:
If Dave is short for David, and Mike is short for Michael, is Lee short for Leech????   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

No! But if my name is spelled backwords It's EEL. Also if you take EEL and put it in front LEE it would spell EEL-LEE pronounced  da same as ELY where some smart :moon: retired bait shop owner lives! :tut: :taz:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/04/19, 04:12:10 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman

No! But if my name is spelled backwords It's EEL. Also if you take EEL and put it in front LEE it would spell EEL-LEE pronounced  da same as ELY where some smart :moon: retired bait shop owner lives! :tut: :taz:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Well, if you spell Lee backward, you have an  EEL.  If you extend LEE, you have a LEECH.  Both are slimy critters so the name works either way!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Negative!

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman

Negative!

Then Leech could be be the same as Lee, making you two long, lost brothers!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

:popcorn: :popcorn:   :coffee: :coffee:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :surrender:

Negative!

Then Leech could be be the same as Lee, making you two long, lost brothers!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Give it up greatoutdoors  :doah: You've met yer match and yer just diggin yerself into a deep whole wit dem weak respondses. :pouty:  Be honest bro "Ya just ain't got da juce" So tro-in da towel! :surrender:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06/04/19, 07:28:41 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Negative!

Well, I guess Lakers will bite on bait from Lucky Seven just as well next winter!  :coffee:

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
Could be, but I sold the shop on January 7th so it's none of my business!!   :moon: :moon: :moon:
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book