Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: HOW WOULD YOU REACT TO A CHARGING GRIZZLY?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
HOW WOULD YOU REACT TO A CHARGING GRIZZLY?

Steve Rinella and his guide handle an angry grizzly charge just in time.
In this video from MeatEater, Rinella and his guide are in the wrong place at the wrong time when this mother grizzly bear decides to charge.

Watch the video to see how they handle the situation.

"Smell us now, lady!"

https://youtu.be/4fbQgjlpjgo

Steven Rinella and his partner show the perfect reaction to a grizzly charge. Here's what to learn from it if you're ever encountered by a bear:

Make noise. Any noise; you can be speaking tongues.
Let the bear know you are there and what you are.
Use your firearm or bear spray as a last resort.
The video's close encounter illustrates the importance of carrying a firearm or bear spray while moving through bear country.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i would run and make sure i trip glenn..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears, they will definitely kill you!
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i would run and make sure i trip glenn..
  :bonk: :bonk: so what your really trying to say is you'd like to go camping with me, huh???? :sleazy: :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
What gun would you carry when hiking in bear country? 

a .22

That wouldn't do much to a bear

No, but I could shoot the guy next to me in the knee... :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Empty the .44 mag.......then 🏃‍♂️ like hell.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
How would I react...?

Just sayin...

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
How would I react...?

Just sayin...

Dat's how my pants came out a da dryer da udder day :angry2: Borgie said she forgot ta wash um. :angry2:

click on judge judy for her thoughts on dis!
« Last Edit: December 12/20/19, 12:37:34 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have seen people walk around the store like that at times over the years in retail.  Those guy's were pretty calm with that big mama coming toward her.  Guess the guide must of ran into some in the past.  good luck.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I went to alaske to work and fish,brought my .44 with quickly learned from local wardens it was to bulky to carry even with a shoulder harness as they all carried .357 snub(better penetration over a .44 they claimed so I followed recomdations bought a 357 and over time rarely carried it as bear encounters were few and far between,had a sawed off sxs 10 gauage for our camp gun that was never used,close one time when a big ole bruin came into camp one night(never really gets dark,called twilight at 2am) he sniffed around found our cast iron skillet hanging on a tree,tried to eat it and wondered off hungry,even made tooth dents in the skillet,the whole time my 10'er was at ready with ot buck
« Last Edit: January 01/30/20, 09:42:43 AM by snow1 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Pic of my buddy walking his dog on the out skirts of town in Kenai AK,grizz attcked w/o provaction...side arm saved his life....

3 shots from the hip matt dillion style,bear fell at his feet,he actually side stepped the critter falling.

« Last Edit: January 01/30/20, 10:59:48 AM by snow1 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a BIG b'ar..... :shocked:
Probably need a fresh pair of F of L's after that. :doah: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If that was the same story...  I remember hearing about it at the time.

The bear was sick and starving and the attack was deemed to be predatory.

Aside from the fact that the guy was fortunate to be alive, I think I recall that road was one his wife and kids walked down on a regular basis.

Snow, was this the same story?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After a couple black bear encounters in the fall of 2018, I am usually packing a .40 cal while in the woods.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Pic of my buddy walking his dog on the out skirts of town in Kenai AK,grizz attcked w/o provaction...side arm saved his life....

3 shots from the hip matt dillion style,bear fell at his feet,he actually side stepped the critter falling.

Yep, this looks like the story...

Field and Stream: Charging Bear Killed in Alaska

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Holy crap.....! Speaking of, I woulda been able to s*** thru a screen door without hitting the sides after that.  :doah:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Could be as he was all over the local news, could've sold his story...decided to wear his side arm that day as they lived along side the kenai river,silvers were running at the time he has a pic of 6 grizz in his back yard that morning fishing the creek,the bear was said to be old and malnourished you can tell by its fur and see its rib cage,had major tooth issues/infections and just plain angry...who would'nt be angery with a mouth full of abscessed teeth.Good thing he was on alert that morning,the only warning he got was it huffing n puffing as it attacked running towards him

wardens always lectured me while river fishing with my dog,said it was an acceident ready to happen.

dogs wandering around along side any stream/river we were fishing will come across a grizz,bear smells or see's a easy meal chases dog,dog runs to master....now its your problem

Got treed once w/o my pup along,hooked into a massive king salmon,running down stream hoping it would'nt break off,came around a bend with big boy right in the middle,dropped my rod as it charged hit the 1st scrub tree in front of me with hip boots on maybe 10' high never touched a branch in the first 6 feet just a high jump(not nearly high enough as the bear was a mere couple feet below me I could smell its nasty breath as it looked up at me,after a few minutes it wondered back to the stream to fish,watched it for a couple hours as it would only eat the eggs of fish he caught,leave the rest for gulls,so full its belly almost dragged on the ground,everytime I adjusted myself in this little tree the critter would move towards me,i herd bears had poor eye sight well this guy must of had contacts as he kept an eye on me,finally a couple guyz came along making a bunch of racket,had bells dinging on there packs as they walked fished towards me,once close enough to here me yell about the bear they lit a bear bomb much like a m80 sent the critter running and let me get on the ground.We all laughed nervously afterwards scanning the treeline near us.

many times wilst river fishing walking along the river banks early morning dew/fog we would come across fresh bear scat as it would be steaming we were always alert but never seen them or it in the heavy underbrush and willows but you could sense they're presence,the things we do to catch a few fish whether in bear country or driving on a ice covered lake.Here's hoping to many more years.... :toast:
« Last Edit: February 02/03/20, 07:25:39 AM by snow1 »