Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92508 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother put his tomato plants in up here on Friday, he's got some red plastic jackets that he puts water in to keep 'em from gettin hit by the cold. Had 'em for 2-3 seasons now & they work great.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I made green house lids for raised beds along time ago. I won't have to worry about any frost.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
33 degrees here this morning.....supposed to be in the 30's here every night for the next week. Way to early for tomatoes and others that can't take frost.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Frost on the roof this morning. Not good for some plants.  I transplanted the 4 pack tomatoes and peppers into larger pots because it will be about 3 weeks before I put them in the garden.  For now they will be in wagons and wheel barrow so I can move them in and out.  I did plant potatoes and onions today.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Radishes coming along nicely here. :azn:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Appears the dandelions are doing better. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: May 05/04/20, 03:01:40 PM by Dotch »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Frost on the roof this morning. Not good for some plants.  I transplanted the 4 pack tomatoes and peppers into larger pots because it will be about 3 weeks before I put them in the garden.  For now they will be in wagons and wheel barrow so I can move them in and out.  I did plant potatoes and onions today.
deadeye, where did you see the rooftop frost, big lake or up at your land?? I didn't notice any in cold spring  :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

:coffee:

Likes me garden a little likes me womens, a little on the trashy side!  :rotflmao: If you blow the pic up, that yellow blob between the rows is some kind ornamental the wife had in her planters last year. It managed to survive the winter under the snow. Out of fear of retribution I left them for her in case she wanted them. One can never be too careful. Doesn't take long to get rid of a few dandelions. And hey, where are the pictures of yer radishes, ya putz?   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/04/20, 03:14:19 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:coffee:

Likes me garden a little likes me womens, a little on the trashy side!  :rotflmao: If you blow the pic up, that yellow blob between the rows is some kind ornamental the wife had in her pots last year. It managed to survive the winter under the snow. Doesn't take long to get rid of a few dandelions. And hey, where are the pictures of yer radishes, ya putz?   :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: :pouty: i live a lot closer to the north pole then you!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: all you'd see is black dirt right now...just put them in the ground this past thursday!!!!!!!!!!   :pouty: :pouty:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And I live closer than you Glenn.  We represent the whole state of MN from north to south.  I just sent in an email to our local garden center.  They prefer that this year and actually is pretty good way to do it.  Then I have a check for the correct amount when I arrive to pick up the boxes of stuff.  We have had below freezing the last few nights so no hurry here yet.  I am so surprised every year when you guys talk about planting and we have snow yet.  Big difference.  I am looking forward to the garden. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And I live closer than you Glenn.  We represent the whole state of MN from north to south.  I just sent in an email to our local garden center.  They prefer that this year and actually is pretty good way to do it.  Then I have a check for the correct amount when I arrive to pick up the boxes of stuff.  We have had below freezing the last few nights so no hurry here yet.  I am so surprised every year when you guys talk about planting and we have snow yet.  Big difference.  I am looking forward to the garden.
:happy1: :happy1: i know its crazy. that weekend i was up at the cabin, i had my garden tilled, and i was still looking at 2 and 3 ft snowbanks out the cabin door. :doofus: :surrender:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

I got an email from one of my Canadian friends on Friday. Moved out to their summer cabin. Said the ice was still on the lake then but he wasn't brave enough to walk out on it. It is amazing what they can raise in their garden there considering the latitude. As long as the bears, deer and moose don't get it first... :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
We had light frost on the roof tops here this morning. Close yesterday morning. Supposed to be low to mid 30's all week. Gonna have to wear ice fishing clothes on Sat fishing.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, it's in Big Lake. It was 33 degrees this morning.  Way to chilly for maters and other plants. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, it's in Big Lake. It was 33 degrees this morning.  Way to chilly for maters and other plants.
:happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going to have lows in the 20's and low 30's until next Thursday.  Then it will stay in the 40's overnight.  SO if I get tomatoes, peppers, cukes and flowers are they going to be ok to leave in the garage for a week?  It is upper 40's out there and I can start the wood burner too.  May have to spritz them with water too.  He said I can pick them up today.  Things are selling fast cuz the other garden center closed up.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going to have lows in the 20's and low 30's until next Thursday.  Then it will stay in the 40's overnight.  SO if I get tomatoes, peppers, cukes and flowers are they going to be ok to leave in the garage for a week?  It is upper 40's out there and I can start the wood burner too.  May have to spritz them with water too.  He said I can pick them up today.  Things are selling fast cuz the other garden center closed up.
they should be fine, just keep them watered....and when its warm enough put them outside in the sun, bring them in at night!!!!!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can put them on the south side of my garage in the sun.  50 ish in the garage should be ok for them shouldn't it?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I can put them on the south side of my garage in the sun.  50 ish in the garage should be ok for them shouldn't it?
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: as long as its above freezing!!! my temp low is 38 degrees to let them outside or to cover.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok sounds great Glenn.  Thanks  Going to pick my stuff up this morning.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They are talking freeze here not just frost on Friday morning. Lows in the 20's. Have to cover asparagus or the spears will turn black. No fruit yet blooming so they should be OK.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
gonna make a run tonight to collect more asparagus. was really hoping for that rain yesterday......bet it really woulda took off. with this colder weather coming bet its gonna slow down big time.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Overnight lows in the 20's predicted here for the next 6 nights. This close to the water we rarely get as cold as they say though.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mrs. Cheviot said "we" might need to cover the peonies so she's sure to have some for casket sprays and what not. Why am I detecting the singular "we" here?  :scratch:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Why am I detecting the singular "we" here?  :scratch:

Because you are a very wise and experienced husband.   :bow: :queen:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Why am I detecting the singular "we" here?  :scratch:

Because you are a very wise and experienced husband.   :bow: :queen:
:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: who you trying to  :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :smoking: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
28 here this morning.....snow expected tomorrow. Where is spring? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree Ken. This morning felt anything but spring-like and we're supposed to get a taste of that snow tonite. It snowed on Memorial Day here back in '92, enough to make the ground white. Was weird seeing rows of green corn and everything else was white. It froze on Father's Day that same year for an encore. Don't need that kind of nonsense again.   :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY DOTCH, i'm looking to start spraying weeds in my lawn, but don't think is warm enough yet. at what temp would be a starting point for stuff like weed-b-gon??????? not sure if its warm enough yet for roundup  either????? :scratch: :scratch:

our local paper this morning said a coating to an inch of snow here tonight!!!! :doofus: :doofus: 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Experience with growth regulators like what's in Weed-B-Gon seem to indicate it works best when daytime highs get into the upper 60's and 70's. Warmer is OK too except there's more opportunity for volatile off target movement. Round Up tends to be more forgiving depending on what you're going after with it. We've sprayed many fields for annual grasses when it's cold and it's worked fine. Tougher to kill broadleaves and some perennial grasses it may be better to wait until it's warmer. And some broadleaves like giant ragweed & most waterhemp have developed resistance.