Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Florida fisherman gets jail time  (Read 1529 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Florida fisherman gets jail time, lifetime ban from fishing after getting caught with undersized lobsters

By Michael Bartiromo | Fox News

There are plenty of fish in the sea, but Alfredo Gonzalez won’t be seeing them anytime soon.
Gonzalez, 50, has been banned from commercial fishing for life after pleading no contest to hundreds of charges stemming from fishing violations in the Florida Keys.

In addition, Gonzalez is now banned from swimming, diving or fishing (from land) in the waters of Monroe County the next five years of his probation — which likely won’t be a problem for at least the first year, as a Monroe County judge further sentenced him to 364 days in the Monroe County Detention Center.

Gonzalez, also referred to as Alfredo Gonzalez-Tapia in earlier reports, was first arrested in January 2018 after Florida Fish and Wildlife officers stopped his commercial fishing boat in the Middle Keys and found him to be in possession of 379 undersized lobsters, as well as out-of-season hogfish, the Monroe County State Attorney’s Office confirmed in a news release.

He also was found to be in possession of 173 lobster traps, as well as lobster-trap buoys that were improperly marked.

In Florida, merely having undersized lobsters is not a felony offense. Gonzalez, however, had well over the allotted amount (which is 50 undersized lobster for the first trap, one more for every additional trap). He also admitted to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers that he was aware he was over the limit.

Gonzalez, the then-captain of the boat, was arrested along with three other men. Gonzalez alone was charged with one felony charge for violation of conservation rules, as well as 334 misdemeanor counts for other violations, including the improperly marked buoys and possession of out-of-season hogfish, per a 2018 report from the Florida Keys Keynoter.

In court last week, Gonzalez pleaded no contest to the felony charge, as well as 223 other charges stemming from fishing violations.

In addition to his lifetime ban from commercial fishing, jail time and probation requirements, the angler was sentenced to pay fines and court fees totaling $1,648.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That fine sure doesn't seem very high. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sure hope they seized his charter boat.................

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Me no know  :confused: Me no know   :bs:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Why can you have 50+ undersize lobsters and that be ok. Can't you just throw them back?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I read that part a few times too.  ???