Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Refurb?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, a friend of mine gave me this several years ago....
It's a Johnson Arms & Cycle Works
It cycles as it should, but I have not run a round through it. I'm not even sure of it's worth.

Do you think it would be worth refurbing it, or just leave it as a conversation piece?

I would like to shoot it, but I don't know if it would be ok.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's a 5 shot Iver Johnson .32 breakfront, right? Does it have an "S" code stamp?
Looks like a 2nd series one to me.....and the bad new, those are not safe with todays breech pressure and powder. Don't want ya blowin' yer paw off. My buddy has the same exact gun.  I've seen a fair amount of those, but don't know it's worth.
You said it cycles properly, just wondering why the trigger is back against the trigger guard.....:smiley:

Iver-Johnson gun collector book....

This revolver is an Iver johnson's arms & cycle works second model (1896-1908) small frame 'safety automatic hammer revolver'. the "S" letter code was used in 1907 and 1908. serial numbers S57786 and S59986 were both made the same year 1907. All second models (1896-1908) were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not considered safe with modern smokeless ammo.

« Last Edit: January 01/25/20, 01:24:27 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Reb,
When you set the hammer the trigger moves forward. I figured it must have been a safety feature for that type of hand gun.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking that...that is a single action then, right?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was thinking that...that is a single action then, right?

Yup, seems that way.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Huh....ones I've seen are DA's.....reason I asked about the trigger, that doesn't usually do that until cocked back...
I did find this, he's using modern ammo......soooooo, I'll take a back seat on this one, other than knowing right away what it was! At the least, you've got a good conversation starter there! :laugh:

https://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/46193380321/the-gun-that-killed-us-president-william-mckinley

https://youtu.be/O_exbsrmp_s

« Last Edit: January 01/25/20, 01:44:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm thinking that I should run a few rounds through it just for scits and giggles....  :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Could be fun. "Here Glenn, give this a try"....🏃‍♂️        :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Could be fun. "Here Glenn, give this a try"....🏃‍♂️        :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"Hold My Beer!"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I would give it a try too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!