Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: perch  (Read 2836 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
But ya gotta travel....

« Last Edit: January 01/28/20, 10:03:03 AM by snow1 »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Wow!!!

Where?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
GPS coordinates, please.    :old fisherman:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
If you got to travel my guess would be Devils Lake.  We get large perch in the 14 and even some 15 inchers in the bays of Kabetogama.  Those are some nice one's.  Love to eat perch.  good luck

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If you got to travel my guess would be Devils Lake.  We get large perch in the 14 and even some 15 inchers in the bays of Kabetogama.  Those are some nice one's.  Love to eat perch.  good luck

I'll second that. Devils Lake is the perch catching mecca. There's even a 3 day trip out of the cities over there and back on Amtrak called the Perch Express, if I remember right....
« Last Edit: January 01/28/20, 03:26:55 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Check out the monsters they catch at the hog-a-thon perch tournament on lake Gogebic, MI in March.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice bucket o perch snow, and just think not to long ago we could find them all over a certain central MN lake.  It's a shame we have to bring our dollars else where for a bucket like that..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
wouldn't surprise me if they came from big stone!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: :angel: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

I'll second that. Devils Lake is the perch catching mecca. There's even a 3 day trip out of the cities over there and back on Amtrak called the Perch Express, if I remember right....

I always thought that sounded like a good time.  I have wanted to take an Amtrack somewhere.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I booked that trip some years back with a buddy. It got cancelled due to some big wing-ding of a storm, so we couldn't go. Had planned to meet an outfitter buddy there.  :undecided:
You should talk to my neighbor buddy that mows my lawn....he's taken trains everywhere there is to go across the US. I think he's a walking history center on the Empire Builder.....
« Last Edit: January 01/28/20, 07:27:19 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have talked about an Amtrak trip to Seattle and then turn around and come back just for something to do.  Thinking we would need our own space and would think they would have food onboard?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
All I know is, from what he's told me, NEVER EVER go coach class on Amtrak...... :doah:

https://youtu.be/lQ819gzDQ44

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We watched the whole thing.  Yes would like to see him do the cabin/sleeper program.  I wonder if they have a shower and a private bath?  AND he did a great job doing that video.  We may just show up unexpected to see brother Del. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember the perch express,told a friend about it as he wanted to bring his kid on that trip,he claimed after checking into it no longer runs,and yes these perch were from devils lake,lost the walleye pics somehow?damn phone...big tourny this weekend out of woodland resort . great bay to fish(creel bay)nut not this weekend 1400 enteries so far

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
We watched the whole thing.  Yes would like to see him do the cabin/sleeper program.  I wonder if they have a shower and a private bath?  AND he did a great job doing that video.  We may just show up unexpected to see brother Del.

We went from St Paul to Portland, rented a car and drove to Vancouver, BC, back to Seattle, and back to St Paul from there. It was a business trip to visit customers in that area, and I decided to take the train and bring my wife along for some extra days. Amtrak had some kind of special like buy one get one free. By the time I coordinated meeting with my customers, the Pullman cars were all full, so we decided to go coach.
That was pretty much a nightmare. Left St Paul about 10:00 at night in a car with probably 60 people in it. Lots of people did not want to sleep and could not stop talking. Other people brought snacks and rustled potato chip bags all night. There were two bathrooms-small ones-for the whole car. We could not sleep and with the noise including snoring, we left and spent the night in the scenic Vista Dome car. Hard plastic benches that curved every two feet so you couldn’t even lay down on the hard plastic. We went back to the coach car a few times, but half way through the night it was starting to smell like a barn. We asked the conductor every tine we saw him if there were any sleepers opening up at the next stop, but that never happened.
When we got to Portland we ran to the ticket office and we’re able to reserve a sleeper for the trip back.
Huge difference. Probably eight people in the car with two to a compartment. Bathroom to passenger ratio was a huge improvement. Food was available to everyone, but the sleeper cars go first and the dining cars were far less crowded then vs when the coach passengers were allowed to eat. Service difference was huge. It was like flying first class vs riding in a cattle truck.
This was 20 years ago, but I don’t things would have changed that much for passenger rail. I would do it again perhaps, but never in coach

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  but good info!!!  thanks!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!