Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 504102 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Personally I'm more concerned about getting done in by a Russian nuke, but I've been wrong before.
hell dutchy...your safe...the Rusky's have no clue where I-falls is!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
I remember going to school in the 70s, learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the proliferation of nuclear ICBMs...

They reminded us that Minnesota was still a priority target for the hated Soviet Commie nukes because of all the high-tech computer companies that were headquartered here:  Honeywell, Control Data, Univac, etc.  The F16 Fighter Wing in Duluth was a target.  And of course, the ICBM silos in North Dakota were high on the list as well.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yupper, soil sampling around some missile silos west of Langdon (Marney Gellner's birthplace) back in the day gave me kind of an eerie feeling. Around that time, there was communication between the Soviets & the US concerning a satellite detected smoke plume from a possible launch from up there. Turned out to be snow geese.  :huh:

Minot & Grand Forks airbases also had to be on the list. That brings back another memory that creeped me out. When I'd be out soil sampling in the CJ-7, I usually had the crappy AM radio tuned in to KFYR out of Bismarck. About the only station it would pick up consistently. All the sudden, the radio would start to screech so loud you couldn't hear any of the programming so I'd shut it off. Within a few minutes, one would see several B-52's (not the one's with the beehives either) flying low-level nearby. Talked to someone who knew about it and he had a term for it. They were jamming the radio signal as they passed through was what it boiled down to.   
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 12:10:14 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Personally I'm more concerned about getting done in by a Russian nuke, but I've been wrong before.
hell dutchy...your safe...the Rusky's have no clue where I-falls is!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
I remember going to school in the 70s, learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the proliferation of nuclear ICBMs...

They reminded us that Minnesota was still a priority target for the hated Soviet Commie nukes because of all the high-tech computer companies that were headquartered here:  Honeywell, Control Data, Univac, etc.  The F16 Fighter Wing in Duluth was a target.  And of course, the ICBM silos in North Dakota were high on the list as well.

Heck, I remember in Jr, high in the 70's going to a missile silo in MN on a field trip for school!  We couldn't go past the fence or anything but it was still pretty cool!   :happy1: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Never knew there were silos in Minnesota other than silage silos.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Never knew there were silos in Minnesota other than silage silos.

Google is your friend!

"NIKE missile site was built in 1959. It was one of four bases constructed during the “Cold War” era to defend the Twin Cities from possible enemy aircraft attacks. A communications facility associated with the missile site is located about one mile northwest of the site."

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Well then, I'm even happier to be away from the Twin Cities.   
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Where is it at Leech?  North of the cities?

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Spent a lot of time in the Bethel area as a kid. I remember people talking about the possibility that the Nike base which was northeast of there being at risk of attack during the Cuban missile crisis. Used to see the service men from the base in town sometimes when we would be there. I also remember feeling pretty uneasy hearing news reports on the radio about Russian ships carrying missiles to  Cuba approaching the blockade that President Kennedy had in place. There was a palpable feeling of relief around when the Russians turned back. Scary time.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Well then, I'm even happier to be away from the Twin Cities.
Their dismantled and not needed anymore, because a more effective system. Relax your safe!  :rolleyes:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
There were four of them, i think. The one I mentioned was sort of between Bethel and Isanti as I remember it. I know there was one somewhere south of the cities and I think one was in Western Wisconsin. I think the other one was somewhere west. The idea was to keep the cities protected, as the Nikes were an anti missile deal.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
There were four of them, i think. The one I mentioned was sort of between Bethel and Isanti as I remember it. I know there was one somewhere south of the cities and I think one was in Western Wisconsin. I think the other one was somewhere west. The idea was to keep the cities protected, as the Nikes were an anti missile deal.

Here. Blue dots click-it.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked with a guy that was stationed at the one in St Francis? I thought it was were that boys camp was just south of town, but not according to the map Leech provided.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting for sure that knew that either...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked with a guy that was stationed at the one in St Francis? I thought it was were that boys camp was just south of town, but not according to the map Leech provided.
It was northeast of St Francis.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got a good buddy that grew up in Minot...   And I remember the drills in grade school... If you see a bright flash, drop and get under your desk...   About second grade.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hi Delman.  SO kind of a hold your head and kiss your ass goodbye thing. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Hi Delman.  SO kind of a hold your head and kiss your ass goodbye thing.
Yeah, looking back pretty much.  They didnt' put it that way.  Lets see, second grade so I was about 8 years old.  1954 maybe.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: So much for their Zero Covid policy! :crazy: :pouty: :tut: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/shanghai-lockdown-tests-covid-limits-shakes-markets-83734433

And this from the country that invented Covid...

Mainland China:  ONLY 4,638 total deaths since the start of the pandemic.  Yeah, right.   :scratch:

Meanwhile, offshore on Hong Kong, a new wave of 7,000 deaths.   :confused:

The new omicron BA.2 subvariant is widely blamed for a surge of cases in China this month. By far, the hardest hit area has been Jilin province in the northeast.

Only two deaths have been reported, bringing the total since the start of the pandemic to 4,638, The relatively low death toll and case count has been touted by the ruling Communist Party as evidence of the wisdom of its zero-COVID approach.

Outside of mainland China, new cases have declined in Hong Kong following a recent wave that has led to more than 7,000 deaths. The semi-autonomous city of 7.4 million people recorded 7,596 new cases in the latest 24-hour period.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
funny this gets brought up. yesterday when i was at the hospital with mom, well i noticed it 3 weeks ago to when we where there, it seems like most areas of the hospital are locked down to only being able to enter the dept you need to go to. i've been reading about this and they are slowly loosening some of the restrictions.

when it came time for them to schedule ahead the next time she needs this procedure done, date was set, then the scheduler said COVID test....well i got testy.....but realizing he's only following rules...i said whens this crap gonna be done......its almost all but over with!!! again realizing he is just following rules but said they are slowly removing criterias ..said the family lounges are going to open back up april 1. progress!! :happy1:

he then brought up masks......how long is that going to last.....and when and if patience and visitors wont need to wear them. he also brought up how long the medical workers are going to be required to wear them????? this guy was just completing his first year of nursing school!!!!1

lot of unknown answers yet!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Being over 70 and Diabetic.....getting in line next week for the next Physer Booster.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A buddy of mine just got his second booster.  He said you can walk right into Thrifty White here and they will give them free. Just called them and they said if you are over 50 come on in.
« Last Edit: March 03/31/22, 09:32:46 AM by LPS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Not paying close attention to these boosters but isn't this latest booster #4? further how long inbetween these boosters is the waiting period as to not over medicate?curious.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I think it'll be the 4th dose that they just approved snow. Not a doctor so don't know what kind of a gap there needs to be since the last dose before getting this next booster. Just go on social media. You'll find all kinds of experts on there!  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I saw it is at least 4 months ago. I had mine last October. So I'm due. Will probably need another this fall just like the Flu booster.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I see fauci is back in the news with this new db-2 vatiant on the way here...more talk of possible lock down again,wouldn't ya no...just before november.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on MNO...  :bonk:

My anecdotal evidence told me the previous shots and boosters didn't do much against Omicron.  It didn't matter if you were vax-ed or not, a lot of people got it and it wasn't as bad as Delta or the original recipe Covid.  Which isn't to diminish the fact that there were some high risk folks that did have a hard time with and even died from Omicron.

But what makes them think that yet another Pfizer booster will gain any effectiveness against future to-be-determined variants?

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Researchers in Minnesota Are Testing Deer, Moose, Bears, and Wolves for COVID

On the Grand Portage Reservation in northern Minnesota, researchers are administering COVID tests to bears, moose, deer, and wolves in an effort to understand how prevalent the virus is in local wildlife. SARS-CoV-2—the virus that causes COVID-19 in humans—has already been widely documented in whitetail deer in Iowa, and the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources confirmed its first case of COVID in a mule deer doe just this week. The virus has been found in domestic cats and dogs, zoo animals like gorillas and snow leopards, and farmed mink. With 25 states reporting cases of SARS in wildlife, understanding how widespread the virus is, tracking potential viral mutations, and avoiding potential transmissions of new strains seem like logical next steps.

This is just crazy the way this virus is everwhere.  Lets hope this virus is rapidly morphing into one that is not dangerous.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Once again doctor Steve-o,good show.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Perhaps this is where the recommendation is coming from...

CDC recommends fourth Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccine doses for people age 50 and olderl

Israeli scientists, in a study published last week, found the death rate from omicron was 78% lower in senior citizens 60- to 100-years-old who received a fourth Pfizer dose compared with those who received just three shots.