Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: So school me on Leech Lake  (Read 3009 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Planning on a couple day trips up to Leech Lake in about two weeks. I've never even seen the lake before, so I'm going in totally blind.  I'd like to launch from somewhere in Walker.  Any suggestions on presentations or areas to target that I can get to if I launch in Walker?  Figure I'll hit a bait shop up there and hope for some sound tips.  I'm not looking for your honey holes, just some ideas on where to even begin.
Lindy rigs?
Slip boobers?
Cranks?
Veriticle jigging?

Mostly interested in walleyes, but might target pike too.
Thanks guys.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I caught a bunch of perch there about 30 years ago.  Over by Battle Point.  Long ways from Walker.  Great lake.  Hopefully someone will help you GG. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I really never fished the Walker area except for eelpout during the eelpout festival...

I do fish the Boy Bay area and Federal Dam. One side of the dam, is great for Crappie early....and out in the bay is good for Walleye through the summer. Boy Bay, is hit or miss.... great for big bluegill early, but gets weedy during the summer.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been on the lake for over 35 years.

I remember we were fishing in the middle of a bay with Lindy rigs and leeches.  I thought I snagged bottom and started to horse my line up.  Half way up I saw the golden flash of a very large fish.  Then my line broke.  I might as well have drawn an "x" on the side of the boat to mark the spot ... for all the help I am to you now.

I know you are hoping for more, but here are a couple of links that talk about how to go at the lake this time of year.

https://leech-lake.com/fish/fishing-report/

https://www.northlandtackle.com/bros-early-summer-leech-lake-walleye-secrets/

Maybe someone will PM you with some better intel.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
never been on it in the summer. fished tullies off stony point and down on the south end not far from whipholt and northland lodge. speared in the channel by some island just east of stony point and up in Minnesota bay...………..so i'm about as helpful as SteveO!!!!!! :confused: :doofus: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yur as helpful as a slug in a salt mine...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yur as helpful as a slug in a salt mine...
hey ……..the adults are trying to have a conversation here...…………………. :mooning: :doah: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ;)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
 :doah: my material.oi!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Sand point can be good in June drifting with lindy rigs. There are some humps in Wlaker bay that are good for slip bobbering in the evening, Cedar point too. Sometimes in late June you can troll shallow running shad rads around the reeds beds in the walker narrows and pick up walters. That is hit or miss. Gets kinda weedy in there too. Out by goose island can be good too on the deeper side. That is east of the narrows. Good luck.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies guys.  When I get a chance to fish it I'll let you guys know if I stumbled on to anything. Hoping to just do a couple day trips, but if I get plum tuckered, I might try to find a room up there somewhere.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Leech is a big lake and really about 10 different lakes.  It’s always a wind generated bite for walleyes.  June is Leech time IMO  .. and I’m a slip bobber guy... they are always on the rocks if the wind is there..most use Lindys off the deeper areas..   If U have side finders or Garmin live scope can look for them and pitch jigs with leeches.  I’ll be fishing the main lake rock bars this weekend.. looking for Yummy eaters!

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So Corny, you have an recommendations for a guide on that lake?
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Phil Bauerly of Outright Angling, Walker... he has a Facebook page outright angling..haha always fishing my spots..

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
I prob should have been a bit more to the point on the wind bit... if it’s not blow-n a bit don’t be going... try a smaller lake. There are a lot more in the area..I like Cass or Pike bay

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The launch right in the park as you enter Walker is very nice.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  I look forward to learning this lake, which has been on my bucket list for quite some time.  One more question if I may.  Are there special regs for walleyes on Leech?  I'll look it up, but just wondering if you folks know.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  I look forward to learning this lake, which has been on my bucket list for quite some time.  One more question if I may.  Are there special regs for walleyes on Leech?  I'll look it up, but just wondering if you folks know.
go gettem GG!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :fish2: :fishing: :old fisherman: