Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cooper  (Read 37850 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got the barking collar.  I have had a few training collars for dogs but never a bark collar.  Can't believe it took so long.  It's the best $35 I ever spent.  Cooper used to bark 5 or 6 times whenever he barked.  Loud too.  Not anymore.  I don't put it on him overnight.  He barks about 5:30 every morning and that is a good thing.  We put him outside and then feed him.  Last night I put the collar on him and then we just waited for him to bark and he wouldn't.  Usually he barks at Bob when she teases him so we waited and waited.  Finally he lets loose and barked once.  The collar beeps and then vibrates.  He stopped barking and looked around at the beep.  It was hilarious.  Later he barked once and shook his head when it vibrated.  Again hilarious.  So when it is set on green it will beep 3 times and then vibrate for 3 seconds.  It is enough to draw his attention so he quits.  If you set it on red it does the beep, 3 seconds of vibrate and then a light shock after the third bark.  After 30 seconds it starts the sequence over.  Thank you very much.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 01/30/21, 08:13:57 AM by LPS »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After neighbors complained of barking a friend bought a bark collar.  Worked fine until the dog learned that he could deplete the batteries if he growled just enough to keep it beeping and vibrating until it wouldn't shock him.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  They say growling or whining won't trigger this one. ???

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, LPS. Have you got details on the collar?  I’ve got one that was pretty expensive. I could use another one, and yours sounds like it would work fine. Thanks.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Brand: Authen  Price:  $34.96   Bark Collar with Beep Vibration and Shock for Small, Medium, Large Dogs.  Rechargeable with USB cable.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Update:  I just changed from the green, beep and vibrate only to red.  That is the beep then vibrate and with another bark right away zapper.  He is not bothered by the vibrate as much anymore so we need a little more attention getter mode.  Now I hope Bob comes in and teases him so he barks at her.   :sleazy:

He weighed in at 37 lbs on Sunday.  LOL 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Brand: Authen  Price:  $34.96   Bark Collar with Beep Vibration and Shock for Small, Medium, Large Dogs.  Rechargeable with USB cable.
How do you keep Cooper from not going further than the length of that cable?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS what kind of pup do you have? 50+ years never had barking issues raising /training goldens,your pup mixed breed? high strung? if so consider ordering some hemp oil to calm your pup,it works great,a few drops in his food is all it takes "innovet" products. Also something to be said with old school OB training ,still use a choke collar to reprimand but frowned on today,I'm told a "pinch collar" is the new norm for barking,digging etc the trick is catching them in the act,I suppose a field training collar would work as well ,these new training collars have sound,vibration and electric stimulation great range up to a mile on a good one.For hyper pointer pups I see they even offer a gps tracker with display to find your pup in heavy crp,good tool for pointers.
« Last Edit: February 02/03/21, 01:51:16 PM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Smurfette should get some of that for glenn!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: what makes you think she doesnt already?????????? :evil: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Must need to put more in!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He's lab and golden.  Not any more high strung than any other pup I have had.  I am older and don't tolerate the barking as much as I used to.  Pretty hard to yank on a collar when they are in the other room.  I didn't want to put my Tri Tronics collar on him yet so got the bark collar.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've been trying to pay a little more attention to when shadow barks.......seems he has a tendency to bark when he's wound up and wants to play.  :scratch: otherwise he doesnt bark to much..........he's a dog..its what dogs do!!!!!!

kinda like the credit card commercial with Kevin Hart.........he yells........cause t hat's what he does!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
He's lab and golden.  Not any more high strung than any other pup I have had.  I am older and don't tolerate the barking as much as I used to.  Pretty hard to yank on a collar when they are in the other room.  I didn't want to put my Tri Tronics collar on him yet so got the bark collar.

How old is he?lab/golden mix= smart pup,nippet now when he's young,as they learn quick but get selective memory,hell these pups train us better than we train them

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS what kind of pup do you have? 50+ years never had barking issues raising /training goldens,your pup mixed breed? high strung? if so consider ordering some hemp oil to calm your pup,it works great,a few drops in his food is all it takes "innovet" products. Also something to be said with old school OB training ,still use a choke collar to reprimand but frowned on today,I'm told a "pinch collar" is the new norm for barking,digging etc the trick is catching them in the act,I suppose a field training collar would work as well ,these new training collars have sound,vibration and electric stimulation great range up to a mile on a good one.For hyper pointer pups I see they even offer a gps tracker with display to find your pup in heavy crp,good tool for pointers.
i just put a choke collar on shadow today. i do what i do. always used them. i'm going to do some obedience training once this cold snap ends so i can do it outside away from the sheltie. no distractions.  i took my old black lab to obedience classes back in the day.....well worth the money. will use some of that, i'm not looking for gold medals just a well behaved dog.

LPS, you tried brushing cooper yet??? just did it for the third time..........what a 3 ring circus that is. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: seems the best one right now is a shedding blade. i also have what they call a firminator, that will work when he is older. also go the standard wire/bristle type brush.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
In my humble opinion the collar might be more appropriate for Glenn.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
In my humble opinion the collar might be more appropriate for Glenn.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i'm getting that bad boy charged up for the long cold spell here!!!!!!!! :smoking: :sleazy: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our cat comes in the room and is pretty confident about this puppy thing now so she struts around in front of him.  She used to run, now she sometimes just stands her ground and hisses swats at him.  It is hilarious.  Cooper would sometimes just stand next to Bob and bark and bark.  We tried to ignore it but he is trying to irritate Bob by doing it so we were collateral damage.  LOL  The wife brushed him with one of those wire brushes that you can click it and the fur falls off of it.  Works great and Buddy loves it.  Cooper doesn't know what to think of it yet.  He wants to bite it of course.  Biting and jumping up are also things we are getting serious about now.  SO barking, biting, jumping.  LOL  He is real smart Snow.  Learns quick too but already knows he can push it further with the wife.  LOL   He has some little marks on him from Buddy nailing him.  Cooper jumps on him and bites him and is already thinking he is King of the Jungle here.  Every now and then Buddy just can't take it and snaps at him.  He deserves it every time.  He just keeps pushing his luck with that too.  LOL   He is a great pup and we love him.  It will be so nice when summer gets here and he can get in the boats and follow our wheelers etc.  It is gonna be a great time and he has no idea how fun it can be around here yet.  We are so glad we got him even though he pushes his limit with that too.  I keep telling the wife that I could probably sell him and make some money.....    She gives me the look.  We are keeping him. LOL

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We walk him on a leash quite a bit and that is going real good. After that time he surprised me a peed in the house he hasn't again.  He sits by the sliding glass door and now will paw it if we don't see that he needs to go out.  I just open the door and let him go.  Hoping he stays near Buddy as he grows up. 
« Last Edit: February 02/03/21, 03:25:47 PM by LPS »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
In my experience having an established dog really helps teach a new puppy the ropes. It sure helped with Frieda anyway. She has always obeyed my number one rule which is to stay home. Frieda is now 15 years and 4 months old. She is too old and frail for me to get a pup now. Someday I'll have to start again without the aid of a tutor.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We walk him on a leash quite a bit and that is going real good. After that time he surprised me a peed in the house he hasn't again.  He sits by the sliding glass door and now will paw it if we don't see that he needs to go out.  I just open the door and let him go.  Hoping he stays near Buddy as he grows up.
I put shadow on a leash once going to the vet, and I had to drag him do to speak, Yea I gotta work with him. He hasn't had any accidents in the house in a long time. And he had never wondered if and I very seldom let both dogs out at the same time.

I agree 100% Roony having an older dog teach the younger one.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
he never wonderd what???  He never wonderd?????that yur a smuf? he neve wonderd???? how your trying to take car of him
He never wonderd what glenn? what did he wonder about???
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a couple of thoughts—having an established dog in the house before bringing a pup into the picture absolutely makes a difference. The first day of two might not be smooth, but in my experience, they work things out quickly, become pals, and keep each other entertained. The pups tend to follow the lead of the older dog and seem to pick up quickly on the rules.

Dogs barking at normal interruptions in their life doesn’t bother me. It should be expected. But a dog barking incessantly can be annoying. Not the dog’s fault when that happens it’s the owner’s. I use bark collars on occasion when my dogs are becoming bark happy. That happens when they are going back and forth with my neighbor’s dogs, who are pretty aggressive.  That’s about 75 yards from my house, which makes it a little more troublesome to deal with. Usually they will respond to a firm command of Come, but there have been days when things up the driveway have been a little too exciting for them to pay attention. On those days, the bark collar can Be a handy tool.

Just my two cents on training collars—I’ve used both regular chain and pinch collars. I’ve found that virtually  all dogs respond better to the pinch collar. I’ve had a few dogs that were particularly stubborn, and would not respond to the chain until they were probably suffering from a sore neck that would last a few days. A quick snap with the pinch collar would get their attention right now, and there was no danger of them feeling anything negative about the correction.
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
biggy for my pups is coming when called on command not yelling multipal times just once,all part of "sit" "come" "stay" on a 6' lead for starters but a 30' check cord is a great tool for coming on command hooked up to a choke collar,once these rascals get beyond 6' they forget about the extra length and start to sniff a wander off,call'em one time and if they ignor the command you are in control,they'll learn quick with the choke collar method.

praise is key when commands are successful,some folks give treats but that leads to begging,but thats my PO. do what fits your program,plenty of video's out they're for training,just pick and choose what fits for you,hell my first OB class 50 + years ago was the best money I spent training my pup,from socializing your pup to training excersises and how to correct when pup screws up,most teach about feeding do's and don'ts,best part was how to correct a mis behaving pup as they grow because like children they'll test the limits,never raise a hand to your pup because doing so will cause harm,our pups don't know english so repetition is key in a calm voice,if ya get pissed ,walk away until you cool down,but like glenn said "best money he ever spent" training his dog,truth.

best to keep training commands in short 2-3 minute sessions as young pups will get bored and lose consentration but repetition on each new command is key.
« Last Edit: February 02/04/21, 08:27:02 AM by snow1 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've always used choke collars and had great success. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is Cooper after a big day! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome. He's a big boy too!! Looks as spoiled as mine. :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh my them pups are spoiled!!!  awesome!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 Looking closer, did cooper lose some of the darker color??

We gotta make that meet up this summer happen. :happy1:

I see you have to out out the foot rest on the chair to so he don't fall off. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/12/21, 07:43:16 PM by glenn57 »