Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104734 times)

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
In the pole varieties, I’ve done Kentucky wonders and Purple Pods. Purple Pods is an old fashioned variety that is easy to pick because they are readily seen, being bright purple. Turn green when you cook them. Some of the newer varieties are more “stringless”.  I think they also are more tender and have a milder flavor.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Looks like one of my Pear Trees didn't make it through the winter. I know some of you have pear trees. Dotch.....if I remember right you do. What varieties do any of you have/

Standard or Dwarf?
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
this afternoon its go time........rest of the garden is getting planted!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
roony also has pear trees, some of the same ones I do and at least one other one I think so feel free to chime in Art. I have a Patten & a Parker. I think the Patten is more the pollinator here. These are standard size trees. They were ~6'-7' tall when I got them prolly 8-10 years ago. They're over 15' tall now. They had some Ure's at FF & I darn near bit but I wasn't sure about how they'd work here. Turns out they'd be fine but when I went back there, they were gone, of course.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My pear trees are Luscious, Gourmet, and the other one is either a Patten or a Parker. I highly recommend the Luscious. It and the Gourmet need a pollinator like the Patten or Parker. These are all standard trees and they get large. Pick them before they get completely ripe.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info guys. Those are all rated for zone 4. I live on the border of zone 3 and zone 4.....-30. Probably not going to make it here.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
this afternoon its go time........rest of the garden is getting planted!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
T H A N K     G O D!! ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:                   :scratch:  So what's  :violin: :cry: next?
 Shadow? No rain? The weeds?  :crazy: :pouty:                                   :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                 
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: nope... The abuse I get here. :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info guys. Those are all rated for zone 4. I live on the border of zone 3 and zone 4.....-30. Probably not going to make it here.

About the only two listed on the U of M list that might survive there are Golden Spice and Ure. Some folks south of town have a Golden Spice tree. It bears heavily some years and they give a bunch away when it does. They're small but tasty. Don't last long so have to eat them fast. Golden Spice is a pollinator for Ure in their listing. Sure you've seen this ken but posting it for others who might be interested in pears.

https://extension.umn.edu/fruit/growing-pears

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ad of 3 pm today my garden is completely planted.  :happy1: now to get the fence up

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ad of 3 pm today my garden is completely planted. now to get the fence up
Shouldn't that been your first step  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ad of 3 pm today my garden is completely planted. now to get the fence up
Shouldn't that been your first step  :scratch:
nope, get it all planted then the fence. Fence is a PITA to manuever around. :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I gots a handy dandy gate on mine, it only comes down to till, keeps the hounds out in the off season.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
T H A N K     G O D!! ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:                   :scratch:  So what's  :violin: :cry: next?
 Shadow? No rain? The weeds?  :crazy: :pouty:                                   :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                 
:oops1: Looks like I forgot 1 :doah: :bonk:....................................the fence.  :rolleyes:              ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:       
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Supposed to be HOT next week.....mid to upper 80's No rain here. Time to get most of my garden in except tomatoes and peppers and melons. Good planting weather. Started dethatching my lawn today.....finishing tomorrow.

Went crappie fishing today with my brother. caught around 50. Crappies for supper.
« Last Edit: May 05/14/21, 07:54:19 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken, are ytou not planting the tomatoes, melons and peppers yet because of the threat of possible frost up your way yet???????

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Frost is possible till the end of the month. My plants of those 3 can still stay in my greenhouse for another 2 weeks or so. Although supposed to be mid 80's for a few days. I am just planting potatoes, carrots, spinach, beets. Plus my broccoli, cauliflower, romaine, pak choi, kohlrabies, basil, parsley are in the greenhouse and now ready to go in the ground today.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got the new garden area tilled up last night. Purty dry altho we do have water access so at least for transplants, it'll work. Wasn't sure how big it was so measured it. It's 17' x 100'. One thing's for sure: I must've picked the rockiest spot on the farm! Be nice to get a rain so I can see them & pick them up. May move the pasture fence & widen it so I pick up some of the better soil towards the west end. One good thing, it hasn't been in crop or garden for over 30 years. Disease pressure should be pretty light. Wireworms might be my main concern but I'm ready for them.
« Last Edit: May 05/17/21, 04:17:20 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Got the new garden area tilled up last night. Purty dry altho we do have water access so at least for transplants, it'll work. Wasn't sure how big it was so measured it. It's 17' x 100'. One thing's for sure: I must've picked the rockiest spot on the farm! Be nice to get a rain so I can see them & pick them up. May move the pasture fence & widen it so I pick up some of the better soil towards the west end. One good thing, it hasn't been in crop or garden for over 30 years. Disease pressure should be pretty light. Wireworms might be may main concern but I'm ready for them.
good thing you have alot of time on your hands, to pick them rocks.. :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a couple of plastic barrels.  I see people make stands for them after they cut them in half for a raised garden.  I may do that.  Anyone here do that?  I will cut them the long way.  You can also cut them in half so each is a round raised garden. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No! No! No! NO raised gardens. Must make gardening as miserable as possible by picking rocks!  :shocked:  :rotflmao:

Just about the time I thought they were going to bolt, the March 9th planted radishes come thru. They're interesting to eat. Little flamethrowers with a sweet aftertaste. More like the fall radishes I've raised only smaller.  :cool:

« Last Edit: May 05/20/21, 09:37:54 PM by Dotch »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Rain......about time.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I added on to my raised garden bed....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice setup HD.  I know we have talked about this before and I like the not bending over deal greatly.  What are the dimensions of the big boxes?  I see  4x4's for legs and 1 x ? for sides.  What is the bottom?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and what kind of wood??  green treated, cedar etc.???
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mines coming along nicely!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking garden Glenn.  Very nice!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Red cedar Mikey.....
 4 foot wide, 8 feet long.
1x10 sides.... I used cedar dog eared fence planks for the bottom. They last 3 to 4 years, then need replacement. Legs are 4x4 cedar.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking garden Glenn.  Very nice!
thanks LPS!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: when my grandma was still alive, she's stop occasionally when she visited at the nursing home people she new. she'd always stop to inspect my garden.

mom told me one time everyone in richmond new i had the best garden cause she told everyone she knew and it got back to my mom!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: kinda made me proud........