Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104669 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Red cedar Mikey.....
 4 foot wide, 8 feet long.
1x10 sides.... I used cedar dog eared fence planks for the bottom. They last 3 to 4 years, then need replacement. Legs are 4x4 cedar.
HD , why wouldnt you use some type of steel underneath to make it last longer?? seems like an aweful lot of repair work. how many them you got??????//
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice garden glenn!!!  :happy1: Where are the squash?  :scratch: :confused:  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice garden glenn!!!  :happy1: Where are the squash?  :scratch: :confused:  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: right next to the tater tot hot slop!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

just cleaned up dog turds, took the pooper scooper picker upper and scratched the dirt in the garden.......pretty dry!!!!!! :scratch: :doah: :pouty:
« Last Edit: May 05/21/21, 09:38:58 AM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Red cedar Mikey.....
 4 foot wide, 8 feet long.
1x10 sides.... I used cedar dog eared fence planks for the bottom. They last 3 to 4 years, then need replacement. Legs are 4x4 cedar.
HD , why wouldnt you use some type of steel underneath to make it last longer?? seems like an aweful lot of repair work. how many them you got??????//

I could put thicker cedar in the bottom, but I'm cheap (not as cheap as you though)
I like to change out the dirt every so often anyways, so it works out well. And, it saves on my back.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yesterday i spent time in the garden pulling weeds and pickin rocks. noticed the cukes, green beans and a few strands of carrots popped out of the ground.  :happy1: :happy1: so i finished putting up the fence. dont want bunnies chewing that stuff off when i'm gone.  and no more, i hope dog tearing up the garden.  :pouty:

after i got done with the fence, i decided to work with shadow with the training dummy..........and of course the first throw, he takes this big oh bot gotta go get it spin, runs right into the fence, and i mean hard...... :confused: so some minor repair work needs to be done. but the look on him when he hit that fence was pretty funny!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well just back from getting some asparagus..  man does that patch need rain!!!   got some but it's getting slimmer... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea I think I just pulled and cleaned the last if the winter onions for this year too. A few are starting to form that seed pod on top. Then there done, they get more strong and tough

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I harvested a nice bunch of the winter onions yesterday, I'm planning on one more time. I always think about how kind and generous you were when you sent me those bulbs. What happened since then?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I harvested a nice bunch of the winter onions yesterday, I'm planning on one more time. I always think about how kind and generous you were when you sent me those bulbs. What happened since then?
:shocked: :shocked: :doah: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

think maybe the old biddy next door might have rubbed off on me!!!!!!!!1  :confused: :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/22/21, 11:30:01 AM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my chives have been going to seed or trying to the couple weeks already...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cut them off and let them regrow. :happy1: it's what I used to do when I grew them

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I just grab and pull them out!!!   got more this morning!!!   don't use them a lot but I like having them... 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I like chives, they are a great replacement for onions on a quick meal!

My rubarb has bolted for the 6th year in a row... I'm thinking about digging it up and say'in fawk-inn-ae...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HD, cut, pull, yank them as they start bolting. It's what I've done.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

What? Just hack it off?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

What? Just hack it off?
yep, I actually just did one a bit ago. I found where it was shooting out from a rubarb stem, broke it off and threw it in the yard waste bin

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, when I see them start to bolt I cut that stem off. Otherwise the plant spends more energy on seed production than it does on producing stems. Our old fashioned green rhubarb tends to bolt more easily than the red variety.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I did the same with my rhubarb today.....just take a knife and cut off the flowering heads. No harm done. :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Our Canada red rhubarb has gone bonkers with the addition of the manure earlier this spring, heat & rainfall. The last pie Mrs. Cheviot made is just tremendous. 

Met the owner of the orchard to the north of us a few miles. Super nice guy. He was at the Arik Matson benefit. Mentioned my Haralson tree was barren this year & he said the same thing I'd read about thinning them when they're loaded like last year to coax them to bear more evenly year to year. Said they'll have plenty of Haralson's. Have lived here 37 years and haven't been to the orchard so will have to make a trip in the Stude this fall. Growing up in SE MN, I enjoyed going to the various orchards that were nearby so am looking forward to it.

& roony, I asked if he had any Honeygold apples. Nope, he said, they had to give them up. Claimed they're too hard to process without damaging them. Thin skinned and bruise too easily. I was wondering why I don't recall seeing them in the store... :scratch:     

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
cut them off and let them regrow. :happy1: it's what I used to do when I grew them
Yep, have some up at our camper. Learned from my daughter in law to keep pinching off the flower buds to keep them growing well throughout the summer.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/27/21, 12:11:49 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Canna lilies anyone.  I seem to remember someone here wanting to try growing some canna lilies.  I have two boxes of bulbs, one with red and one with green. Boxes are about 1 foot cube.  These will be tossed if I don't find someone who wants them. 

These are growing by a 6 foot fence.  All they need is a little fertilizer and water.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Can't find the delete button.  :confused:
« Last Edit: May 05/28/21, 07:08:51 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think those are so cool DE.  Just don't know where I would plant the. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Do you have to pull those bulbs every year?
Full sun?

I'll take some if I don't have to pull bulbs.... I'm lazy

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you have to pull those bulbs every year?
Full sun?

I'll take some if I don't have to pull bulbs.... I'm lazy
if I remember correctly yes you have to dig the bulbs out every fall... 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, altho you can leave them. They just don't come back! :rotflmao: I've got boxes of them too but I'm only gonna plant so many of them. I wouldn't mind having some of the red leaved ones deadeye but the Mrs. already got me a potted yellow flowered one. Figure I'll try to increase that variety over the next several years. The canna patch could end up looking like KATCHUP & mustard someday!

The wife also gave me a variegated morning glory to plant once it gets this frost notion out of its system. Be interesting to see how it does.  :scratch: 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
HD,
Yes, you need to dig the bulbs if you intend to plant them the following spring.  Mine usually multiply by 4 each year.  I usually dig half of what I planted and then in spring plant half of those I dug.  The rest I give away or toss if no one wants them.  I just put them in a cardboard box layered with some news paper and store in the furnace room.  It's probably 65+ all winter but they like it there. They like full sun and competition with something like a fence, wall or sunflowers.  This makes them grow taller.   

Dotch,
I can hang on to some red ones for ya if you plan to get this way soon. I live in Big Lake.  I can dig a box of red cannas for you this fall if I remember.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
HD,
Yes, you need to dig the bulbs if you intend to plant them the following spring.  Mine usually multiply by 4 each year.  I usually dig half of what I planted and then in spring plant half of those I dug.  The rest I give away or toss if no one wants them.  I just put them in a cardboard box layered with some news paper and store in the furnace room.  It's probably 65+ all winter but they like it there. They like full sun and competition with something like a fence, wall or sunflowers.  This makes them grow taller.   

Dotch,
I can hang on to some red ones for ya if you plan to get this way soon. I live in Big Lake.  I can dig a box of red cannas for you this fall if I remember.   :rotflmao:

PM sent.......  :happy1:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The wife said she would like some of both. Pm sent
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
This year in the garden we put down that heavy webbed plastic and burnt holes where we wanted to plant things.  I’m tired of weeding.  Seen it on YouTube so I hope it works.  The other half of the garden is potatoes which I just till around so I don’t have to weed.  Good luck gents and Glenda on your gardens this year.  Now off to like 50 (it seems) graduations this weekend.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood