Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: getting checked by a CO  (Read 5395 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 so Lee posting these CO reports got me to thinking how many times i've been checked by the CO's. i get the CO reports via email, and although i dont look at all the areas i do keep an eye on areas i hunt and fish.

the one thing that has changed my behavior has been to carry my license ON ME. i always had it in my truck but there seems to be a fair amount of citations being handed out for not having license on you. i had quit actually carrying my wallet on me after i had back issues......that have been fixed, but......i'm getting better carrying it now.

so i've been checked by a CO 6 times.........and no tickets.  :tut: :angel:
1 time duck hunting
3 times deer hunting
1 time each ice fishing and open water fishing

my son got checked bear hunting. no issues there either and the CO was very complenentary om how he had his gun cased!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: They must think you look kinda shady ;)  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: if you've been checked that many times. Only twice for me, Mr Fairbanks, open water on our lake. A few times on URL with mom & dad when I was young too. My license gets put in my tackle box when I buy it & stays there until it goes in with my hardwater stuff.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Been many years for me,20 years ago open water on mille lacs,30 years ago  trible warden on url.

20 years ago rochester hunting geese on my lease,same warden checked us all every week,no citation's just a deke head came out like clock work as the geese came out to feed from silver lake,warden knew who we were.knew we were compliant just a dick.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: They must think you look kinda shady ;)  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: if you've been checked that many times. Only twice for me, Mr Fairbanks, open water on our lake. A few times on URL with mom & dad when I was young too. My license gets put in my tackle box when I buy it & stays there until it goes in with my hardwater stuff.
ha  :tut: 4 different counties in a 40 year span. :mooning:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been checked YET this winter, but I imagine I will at some point. One winter I was checked five times throughout the winter. Only 1 time was it a local CO. I bet I have been checked 15 to 20 times over the course of my time. Been checked on Mille lacs, red, Lotw, during deer season. Gee and I thought Glenn looked like the riff raff.  :scratch: ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been checked fishing mostly but have been checked a couple times hunting..  all came out good.. the one CO we had finnaly stopped checking me for fishing, I have a life time license....   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been checked many times fishing and Hunting. And one time by a plane landing on the ice which was a bit scary since we were in a channel of the lake with not a lot of room to land.  :shocked:  Never met a bad CO man or woman.
Some are more formal then others but all were pretty nice about it. Some actually shared good info for the area we were hunting.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: February 02/26/21, 01:51:41 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember going pheasant hunting with my dad when I was a kid.  We were driving down the street and he asked me if I had my license.  Nope.  Had to go back.

Later that day we got checked.  As I recall, the CO simply asked if we had our licenses and if we had any birds.  Yes!  Nope.  And then he let us go.

And I do recall telling my dad my impressions afterwards, "Its a good thing we went back to get my license, because he was so good... If I would have said yes, he would have known right away I was lying.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
so Lee posting these CO reports got me to thinking how many times i've been checked by the CO's. i get the CO reports via email, and although i dont look at all the areas i do keep an eye on areas i hunt and fish.

the one thing that has changed my behavior has been to carry my license ON ME. i always had it in my truck but there seems to be a fair amount of citations being handed out for not having license on you. i had quit actually carrying my wallet on me after i had back issues......that have been fixed, but......i'm getting better carrying it now.

so i've been checked by a CO 6 times.........and no tickets.  :tut: :angel:
1 time duck hunting
3 times deer hunting
1 time each ice fishing and open water fishing

my son got checked bear hunting. no issues there either and the CO was very complenentary om how he had his gun cased!!!!!
Smurfy, Have you ever been picked up by the fuzz?
It hurts, don't it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: not telling. :tut: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :oops1: :oops1: I forgot 2 times ice fishing on red. But that's boars fault, he was in the area. :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've been checked plenty on the cabin lakes, like Leech stated most are good people just doing their job. Our South Dakota duck trips those guys went thru everything,  they sure didn't like how the land owner let us clean our birds in the field to feed the coyotes,  but nothing they could do.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
last time i got check was on milacs, when we had a gather glenn didntbgonto but derrick and fawk and dadkids werebtjer. the CON was a gal and fricken hot!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The CO around here is a good friend of the family....so, she knows what I look like, she knows what I drive and she knows where I live....

The only thing she doesn't know, is where we hide the bodies...

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The CO around here is a good friend of the family....so, she knows what I look like, she knows what I drive and she knows where I live....

:rotflmao: yep makes me real antsy to come out and shoot tree rats. :doah: :shocked: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:rotflmao: yep makes me real antsy to come out and shoot tree rats. :doah: :shocked: :rotflmao:
you will be fine!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Been checked twice in my life that I recall, both on Vermilion.    Once was in the evening, I was sitting on a reef and Pat McDermott, the CO that lived down the road, stopped.   Said he needed to check someone since he was out riding around in the state's boat on the way to his buddy's place.    That made it work related.   

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I've been checked a handful of times in VNP. The one time I was long line trolling. I started to crank in line as he approached but stopped when he got to the boat. I had a floating crank on so wasn't worried about losing it. Anyway he checks me, we BS'ed bit and we float away from each other. He unknown to me floated over my line and when he fired his motor he spooled me. I started laughing and he started cussing. Anyway we ended up pulling his prop off on the water to get the line off.

I have had great experiences every time I've been checked. I understand they have a job to do and if I'm violating anything I expect I would get a citation.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been checked many times all over the state.  When I lived in Stillwater in the 80's the local CO checked me many times.  He checked me ice fishing on a couple of lakes and on the St. Croix. I had a 32' houseboat and when it was real busy on the river he pulled me over a couple of times.  I was always pulling my fishing boat behind us.  We were heading for our camping spot for the weekend where I cat fished.  SO it was a real inconvenience to be pulled over right in the main channel with boats all around us.  His assistant was rolling his eyes like he thought it was a pain too.  Well he never caught me doing anything wrong cuz I didn't do anything wrong.  He was out to get me for some reason.  Once when fishing on Sunset lake in my portable he came flying across the little lake with his truck and slammed on the brakes next to me and jumped out like he had caught me doing something.  I asked him what his problem was?  He didn't have an answer. Every other CO I have dealt with was actually a pleasure to talk to but not him.  Must have had me confused with someone else.  This lasted for a few years with him.  Ellers was his last name.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago I had my 3 boys out in the boat on a little local lake. Game warden came up to us and said "Got the grandkids out fishing huh? I told him we weren't getting off to a very good start. He then realized I just look 20 years older than I am. He gave the kids a dairy queen coupon because they had their life jackets on. He didn't give me nuttin'.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got checked once waterfowl hunting by the fed guy in ND when I lived there and once ice fishing on St. Olaf Lake. Saw that guy coming. He was making the rounds, going between houses with his hand on his gun when knocking on the doors off to one side. A real cowboy, by the name of Joe Frear. Didn't hassle me because I didn't give him anything to hassle me about. Others had a different story. He got a reputation for being a PITA so what did the DNR do? They promoted him!  :doah: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Same guy who called me Grandpa,  :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)